Cuemakers from Japan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cuemakers from Japan

It's odd that so many top quality products come out of Japan but cues don't seem to be one of them - at least judging by this English-speaking forum anyways.

Best cars? Germany and Japan
    Best pool tips? Mooris from Hideo Moori in Japan
    Best knives? Germany and Japan
    Best snooker cues.... UK???

Of course, it only makes sense that UK makes the best cues but why aren't there any cue makers mentioned on TSF coming out of Japan? Lack of Ash and Maple perhaps?
    Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
    My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Good question. Can somebody from Japan tak about this. I know pool is quite popular here but what about snooker?

Comment

dont they make mezz? last i heard, mezz r making sum pretty top notch products. maybe not number 1 but a lot of pro's r using mezz cues n stuff now arent they? i guess thats more pool related. hmmm dun think snookers big there. my mate whos a pool player, said there r no snooker tables in japan.

Comment

There definitely are snooker tables in Japan. Found one in Tokyo last time I was there (around 5 years ago). Still, snooker probably isn't popular anyways so it makes sense. Besides, it's a simple equation: snooker table or bachelor pad?

Comment

If you like to get a German Snooker cue, contact Oliver Stops at http://www.os-cues.de/ or have a look at the MS-Cues Series at http://www.mspool.de/ (they are made by Oliver Stops too imo)
          mind control > body control > cue control > ball control

Comment

Originally Posted by Raldon View Post
            If you like to get a German Snooker cue, contact Oliver Stops at http://www.os-cues.de/ or have a look at the MS-Cues Series at http://www.mspool.de/ (they are made by Oliver Stops too imo)
            Never considered it. Do you have one and play with it? What are people saying about them?

Comment

In Japan, Adam is the leading brand in snooker cues. Some of the Adam cues are now made in China in the same place they make Predator cues, while some are still made in Japan. The higher end line of Adam, Musashi, is entirely made in Japan last time I checked. But I dont think Musashi has a snooker cue line.
              Adam cues used to be quite good--at least good enough for Cliff to win a lot of his titles in the UK. I believe (but not 100% sure) he made his infamous 147 with an Adam cue as well.
              Adam makes lots of carom cues, and pool cues, along with a bit of snooker cues.
              Hope this helps.
              www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

There are some very good cue makers in Germany. Arthur cues are absolutely unbelivable in terms of craftsmanship.
                Is Oliver the only one making snooker cues in Germany?
                There is a cue maker in France who makes very unique snooker cues with metal badges. I think his name is Thierry. His cues are very unique, with a big B on his metal badge. I like them very much.
                www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Airin,you have such a sound knowledge on cuemakers around the world.

Comment

Originally Posted by Straight strike View Post
                    Airin,you have such a sound knowledge on cuemakers around the world.
                    Thanks, but in all honesty there are lots of very knowledgable people here on the forum whom I have learned so much from. I do not really know that much especially when it comes to antique snooker cues. ADR and Jason Owen and those folks are the experts. I also know very little about snooker/pool tables.
                    For example, if you and cueinhand did not take the time to show us pictures of LK.T I would never have known.
                    Speaking of which, I am very interested in pictures of the titanium joint, any pictures?
                    www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Tsang do not keep spare joints in stock, he orders these joints from outside on request. And he never showed the joints at pre-finished state, he treated it as some kind of commercial secret I guess. Cueinhand have posted pics of cues with titanium joint in the thread he started already.

I think there are two cues with this kind of jont in Canada now, the owners are students of Terry.

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
                        There are some very good cue makers in Germany. Arthur cues are absolutely unbelivable in terms of craftsmanship.
                        There is a cue maker in France who makes very unique snooker cues with metal badges. I think his name is Thierry. His cues are very unique, with a big B on his metal badge. I like them very much.
                        Thanks pqj for the info! Would you have links to the websites? Curious to learn more!

Comment

Originally Posted by thelongbomber View Post
                          Never considered it. Do you have one and play with it? What are people saying about them?
                          Yes, i have one. It is very special because he is using a rare material called "Wingopas" for the butt construction. I think it is normally used in aircraft construction.
                          The shaft has a pro taper, and a canvas phenolic ferrule. Overall a more whippy than a stiff cue, but with a very nice response.

What other people say? I dont know, because his Snooker Cues are very rarely in Germany too.
                          His Pool Cues have a very good reputation, but i never saw the new "MS-Snooker-Series". As the websites shows these ones are made by usual woods in the butt construction. Only the ferrule and the joint are made by rare material:
                          Ferrule: Aluminium Alloy
                          Joint: High grade steel and Aluminium Alloy

Comment

[QUOTE=poolqjunkie;527345
                            [/QUOTE]

As far as i know, at this time he is the only one, yes.

Comment

Yes, i have one. It is very special because he is using a rare material called "Wingopas" for the butt construction. I think it is normally used in aircraft construction.
                              The shaft has a pro taper, and a canvas phenolic ferrule. Overall a more whippy than a stiff cue, but with a very nice response.

What other people say? I dont know, because his Snooker Cues are very rarely in Germany too.
                              His Pool Cues have a very good reputation, but i never saw the new "MS-Snooker-Series". As the websites shows these ones are made by usual woods in the butt construction. Only the ferrule and the joint are made by rare material:
                              Ferrule: Aluminium Alloy
                              Joint: High grade steel and Aluminium Alloy
                              Can you put up pictures of the cue? Would love to see it!

Comment

Working...
                              X