Ferrules: Short/Long, Thin/Thick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ferrules: Short/Long, Thin/Thick?

I'm considering having the ferrule changed on my recent Peradon (it's off center) and curious about a few things:

What does a shorter/longer brass ferrule do for the cue's hit? More/less throw? Harder/Softer hit?

Also, what about ferrule thickness. Have heard a thin walled ferrule can have a different affect than a thicker ferrule? In what way?
    Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
    My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

bomber:

The idea for a ferrule is to first have it equally thick all round the circumference and secondly to make it as light as possible while keeping it thick enough to withstand the constant pressure.

If every player hit the cueball exactly centre-ball every time then ferrule wieght wouldn't matter but of course there are times when a player unintentionally hits just slightly off centre. In order to minimize the throw effect the ferrule is kept as light as possible.

I use brass (for the strength) and try and keep them fairly thin and also not have a lot of height

Terry
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

There's also the practical aspect too, though. Inside the ferrule is the tenon (piece of the shaft) which keeps the ferrule attached to the cue. If the ferrule is long, the tenon is more fragile and likely to snap, eg. during a power shot. The same thing applies with a ferrule that is too thick - the tenon is thinner, and more prone to snapping in certain cases.
      Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

What do you mean it's off centre?

Comment

Originally Posted by jb134 View Post
          What do you mean it's off centre?
          When I removed the tip for a tip change, I noticed that one part of the ferrule was thicker than the other. I guess I should take a picture to show. I can only assume this would cause the cue to "throw" in a given direction more because the ferrule was thicker in one area and not uniform in thickness all the way around the tenon.

Comment

Think your going far too far into it bet you cant tell any difference

Comment

I thought that might be what you meant mate. If it's a threaded ferrule that's quite normal for it to look that way. Remember you're looking at a cross section of a bolt i.e. a spiral so one side will appear thicker than the other.

I'd say there's probably nothing wrong with it except now it's in your head so you'd be as well just burning the cue!

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                Think your going far too far into it bet you cant tell any difference
                Actually I can! Without being told, I can tell the difference between fibre/brass ferrules, or layered/pressed tips. Not so sure I can tell the difference if the ferrule isn't perfectly centered but I have a few m8's who swear by thin walled ferrules, and now I understand why.

Comment

Working...
                X