Mike Wooldridge Joints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Wooldridge Joints

Has anyone ever removed one? I'm thinking of doing so with a view to lightening a cue I have, it came up in a conversation that they are "difficult to fit", so I was wondering if anyone has any experience?

probly b worth just sendin it bak to him to do it. so it doesnt go wrong..

Comment

Originally Posted by BoBnoGG!n View Post
      probly b worth just sendin it bak to him to do it. so it doesnt go wrong..
      Thanks for that.

Can anyone have a stab at answering the actual question?

Comment

removing joint

butt or middle joint jb

Comment

Butt as if I take weight out the butt end it'll not move the balance back.

Comment

joint removal

dont think you will be able without a lathe to drill only other way is maybe put the male part of a joint into the female part, warm the male joint this will transfer heat into the female part and maybe soften the glue and then you can work it loose thats how i would try it

Comment

would it really be worth it?

i mean what sort of weight is an sd joint anyways, very light i'd say, and wouldnt have thought it would make that big a difference to the feel of the cue.

if it was me, i'd either send it back to him or someone else to get it lightened, there's other ways of doing it without removing the end joint, which comes in handy.

Comment

Originally Posted by jim evans View Post
                dont think you will be able without a lathe to drill only other way is maybe put the male part of a joint into the female part, warm the male joint this will transfer heat into the female part and maybe soften the glue and then you can work it loose thats how i would try it

Was gonna try heat. I have a lathe, well, a couple.

Comment

Originally Posted by the_paz View Post
                  would it really be worth it?

i mean what sort of weight is an sd joint anyways, very light i'd say, and wouldnt have thought it would make that big a difference to the feel of the cue.

if it was me, i'd either send it back to him or someone else to get it lightened, there's other ways of doing it without removing the end joint, which comes in handy.

Sorry, poor first post. I am going to remove it, remove some ebony to lighten the cue and replace it. The story is I have a 3/4 I have been playing billiards with. I asked Mike to make me a shaft for pool but he was too busy.

Unasked him to sell me a joint and I would make myself a pool
                  shaft but he wouldn't sell a joint which is fair enough.

He also said the joints were "tricky to fit", so I was wondering if anyone had any experience.

Comment

sorry off topic, but just wish to know what does "SD" mean in an SD joint?

i know which part that is, but was just wondering what is this exact technical term.
                    John Lim

Targets to beat: -line up 63, 78 (Nov 2012)- -practice match 67 (Nov 2012)- -competition 33 (Oct 2011)-

Comment

I would have an x ray done before interfering with the joint and check to c how much and if any lead was added to the cue and its positioning along the butt and the shaft. thereafter it would be easier to simply drill it out and maybe just thin the butt of the cue to make it lighter.

That would be easier than interfering with the joint and as woolridge says they are tricky to fit

Comment

What I am trying to find out is what makes them tricky to fit. I've probably repaired or put a hundred joints in cues and they are all "tricky" what I want to know is, is there anything that makes MW joints particularly tricky.

Comment

I'm not sure there is anything more tricky with these joints than with any others m8.
                          I assume heat would allow movement. I am not sure though as i have never removed one. Do you know if they are threaded or not?
                          Ideally you would have the male end and could use that as leverage to remove, cant be 100% sure though m8.
                          "Don't think, feel"

Comment

Originally Posted by jb134 View Post
                            What I am trying to find out is what makes them tricky to fit. I've probably repaired or put a hundred joints in cues and they are all "tricky" what I want to know is, is there anything that makes MW joints particularly tricky.
                            the answer to your question is no.
                            https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by jb134 View Post
                              Sorry, poor first post. I am going to remove it, remove some ebony to lighten the cue and replace it. The story is I have a 3/4 I have been playing billiards with. I asked Mike to make me a shaft for pool but he was too busy.

Unasked him to sell me a joint and I would make myself a pool
                              shaft but he wouldn't sell a joint which is fair enough.

He also said the joints were "tricky to fit", so I was wondering if anyone had any experience.
                              Good helpful service from Mike then?
                              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Old cue collector --
                              Cue Sales: http://oldcues.co.uk/index.php?id=for_sale_specials
                              (yes I know they're not cheap, I didn't intend them to be!..)
                              ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X