What cue is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
    Was it common to see extension socket installed at the butt end in the 80's?
    the simple answer is no!
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Was it common to see extension socket installed at the butt end in the 80's?
      That could have been added later at anytime i suppose.

Though Aeon did use the butt socket or sd as its known today on there top end cues to screw in weights, which usually came in a set of 2, not sure if H & O did the same as socket could have been for weights rather than extensions.

Nice idea really that you don't see today.
      Last edited by CueAntW147; 24 January 2011, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by CueAntW147 View Post
        That could have been added later at anytime i suppose.

Though Aeon did use the butt socket or sd as its known today on there top end cues to screw in weights, which usually came in a set of 2, not sure if H & O did the same as socket could have been for weights rather than extensions.

Nice idea really that you don't see today.
        Yes, heard they also had a clever little system to change the length or something but I have never seen it in person.
        www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Yes, heard they also had a clever little system to change the length or something but I have never seen it in person.
          Nice idea really not to alter length though, just small brass weights that screwed into the butt socket that varied the weight of the cue by approx plus or minus 2 oz or so and also the balance point.
          Last edited by CueAntW147; 24 January 2011, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Found an old pic featuring the added weight
            Attached Files
            Last edited by MattCash; 24 January 2011, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by snookerloopy_08 View Post
              Found an old pic featuring the added weight
              Well done mate, i was trying to dig one out that's much better than me keep going on !

Actually the sd butt socket looks the same as the H & O one shown in PQJ's pic.
              Last edited by CueAntW147; 24 January 2011, 09:01 PM.

Comment

So, you have seen H&O with this joint before? This is the first time I have seen it.
                About the length thing, I was thinking about the 3/4 joint where I have heard/read from somewhere that there is something Aeon did which allowed the player to change the lenght a bit...but that could be the weight now that I think about it.
                www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

I dont think its an Aeon as the top Aeon cues had an extra brass band above the joints.
                  Pics attached

http://thecueguru.weebly.com/

Comment

And here is the Hunt & Obyrne version of this joint, dont think its this either???

http://thecueguru.weebly.com/

Comment

Originally Posted by JasonOwen View Post
                      I dont think its an Aeon as the top Aeon cues had an extra brass band above the joints.
                      Pics attached

I wouldn't rule it out because the brass band would have been easy to leave out & Aeon used lots of different joint variants.

Interesting thread now though with lots of nice Aeon pics shown, reminding us of what great cues some of the Aeons were.
                      Last edited by CueAntW147; 24 January 2011, 09:16 PM.

Comment

So, you have seen H&O with this joint before? This is the first time I have seen it.
                        About the length thing, I was thinking about the 3/4 joint where I have heard/read from somewhere that there is something Aeon did which allowed the player to change the lenght a bit...but that could be the weight now that I think about it.
                        Just wondering is this why you started the thread in an unusual way " guess the joint/cue etc ", were you worried the cue might not be genuine or had been altered in some way ?

Comment

No, not exactly. The owner of this cue is a customer of mine who told me he purchased this cue from Hunt & OByrne and he has been the only owner ever since. He is not trying to sell the cue and the authenticity of the cue is not in question.
                          After I saw the cue, as I have never seen this joint on any Hunt & OByrne before, I naturally become curious and want to find out more about it.
                          I also have found it unusual to see an extension socket installed at the butt end for a cue this old.
                          This cue comes with a long tele which can be screwed into both the 3/4 joint and the butt end.
                          I started the thread this way because I know there are lots of people who are very knowledgable on here and I was hoping to see if anyone had a cue with an identical joint who can identify it.
                          Very nice pictures here by the way. Thank you.
                          I have uploaded more picture of the joint pin and the extension.
                          The extension can be screwed into both joints.
                          Last edited by poolqjunkie; 25 January 2011, 03:47 AM.
                          www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

No, not exactly. The owner of this cue is a customer of mine who told me he purchased this cue from Hunt & OByrne and he has been the only owner ever since. He is not trying to sell the cue and the authenticity of the cue is not in question.
                            After I saw the cue, as I have never seen this joint on any Hunt & OByrne before, I naturally become curious and want to find out more about it.
                            I also have found it unusual to see an extension socket installed at the butt end for a cue this old.
                            This cue comes with a long tele which can be screwed into both the 3/4 joint and the butt end.
                            I started the thread this way because I know there are lots of people who are very knowledgable on here and I was hoping to see if anyone who had a cue with an identical joint who can identify it.
                            Very nice pictures here by the way. Thank you.

No problem with that, very interesting well i think we were along the right lines in saying Aeon/H & O and proves how strong the link between them was.

I think when the weights were added to the sd style joint it gave people the idea about mini butts telescopics being used as well.

Aeon were ahead of there time no question about that, many early Aeons came with extensions they even did long ash style extensions in the pro butt range that fitted the shaft, though a different joint to the spiroloc was used on this range.
                            Last edited by CueAntW147; 24 January 2011, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Hi Airin,

Sorry to hijack the thread but i have a unusual request. Im looking for a round brass Aeon badge for my dads cue. It was stolen about 13 years ago, and when we got it back it was missing the badge. (PM me if you happen to have one/or know one for sale)

btw, the joint in the Jasons picture looks exactly the same as my dads cue joint.

Cam

Comment

found this

Comment

Working...
                                X