Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mac Chambers

Hi all,

I signed up to this website as i had heard rumours that Mac was being talked about online.

Mac was my Step-Grandad and although i realised that he was a top cue maker i did not ever realise that 4 years after he died people would still be talking about his cues. Reading all the comments about not just how good his cues were but how highly he was regarded as a person really made me and my step dad smile.

I play with his old cue that he made in 1991 and we have his old cue that he used for many years in our house. We also have a signed cue that he made with the sigs of Alex Higgins, Terry Griffiths, Willie Thorne, John Virgo and others on. Never did we realise quite how much the cues were probably worth until we stumbled upon this site!

But thats not the point, i know he would have been made up and probably quite bemused to see his name bandied about on the internet! Nice to see he lives on in the snooker circles!:snooker:

Welcome to the forum, click this link to see where people only had good things to say about Mac just a few days ago
    http://www.thesnookerforum.com/board...ad.php?t=29405

Comment

Is your step dad Malc?

Comment

Originally Posted by matt180 View Post
        Hi all,

I signed up to this website as i had heard rumours that Mac was being talked about online.

Mac was my Step-Grandad and although i realised that he was a top cue maker i did not ever realise that 4 years after he died people would still be talking about his cues. Reading all the comments about not just how good his cues were but how highly he was regarded as a person really made me and my step dad smile.

I play with his old cue that he made in 1991 and we have his old cue that he used for many years in our house. We also have a signed cue that he made with the sigs of Alex Higgins, Terry Griffiths, Willie Thorne, John Virgo and others on. Never did we realise quite how much the cues were probably worth until we stumbled upon this site!

But thats not the point, i know he would have been made up and probably quite bemused to see his name bandied about on the internet! Nice to see he lives on in the snooker circles!:snooker:
        Hi Matt,

I purchased a cue off Mac about 10 years ago. When my mate and I travelled to Rushden to see him personally. My mate had already had several cues from Mac. When we arrived he was the most helpful and like everyone says, a real gentleman.

I sold my original cue a few years back as I needed the money. However my mate kept hold of his 2. The cue today is as good as it was the day it was made. The finish on his Maple cues were fantastic, as Woody (my mate) will vouch. I honestly have only ever seen one Maple cue that was as good as Mac's and that was Trevor Whites.

When i joined the Forum about 2 years ago I searched for Mac's details to see if I could buy another cue from hime only to find he had passed away. He is a great loss to the Cue making world and If I am honest does not get enough recognition for his work.

I have just sold a Mac cue to another member on the Forum, and to be honest if he wasn't the right guy for the cue I would of thought twice! But I know it's going to a good home!!!

Comment

Originally Posted by mike.crowe View Post
          Hi Matt,

I purchased a cue off Mac about 10 years ago. When my mate and I travelled to Rushden to see him personally. My mate had already had several cues from Mac. When we arrived he was the most helpful and like everyone says, a real gentleman.

I sold my original cue a few years back as I needed the money. However my mate kept hold of his 2. The cue today is as good as it was the day it was made. The finish on his Maple cues were fantastic, as Woody (my mate) will vouch. I honestly have only ever seen one Maple cue that was as good as Mac's and that was Trevor Whites.

When i joined the Forum about 2 years ago I searched for Mac's details to see if I could buy another cue from hime only to find he had passed away. He is a great loss to the Cue making world and If I am honest does not get enough recognition for his work.

I have just sold a Mac cue to another member on the Forum, and to be honest if he wasn't the right guy for the cue I would of thought twice! But I know it's going to a good home!!!
          Agree with all of this, Mac was one of the best cue makers we had, top quality work whether it was making a new cue or repairing one and always value for money, not to mention a nice bloke to deal with always felt like a mate helping you out really.

I've been lucky enough to own a few of Mac's cue's over the years always well made and he was always a pleasure to deal with, another one of the good guys & very much missed.

Welcome to the forum Matt !

Comment

Originally Posted by jaffa.johnson View Post
            Is your step dad Malc?
            Yeah, i'm assuming your the guy he spoke to at his bowls? When he said I had a look online and stumbled across this site and the comments. Small world!

Heard you gave Malc a good pasting too haha!

Comment

Also must say thanks for all the other nice comments people have put. We always did tell him that if he had advertised countrywide he could have made a small fortune, but he never wanted it to be like that. I think like somebody said, it was almost like he was helping out mates. Such was the person he was.

Comment

Matt, nice to see you here on the forum.

A year or so ago I was lucky enough to buy an ash one piece Mac Chambers cue from a member of this forum. The cue came with a story that Mac had made the cue for Ronnie O'sullivan and it was a lovely cue. It was a shame that the cue was too short for me (was only 57in) so I ended up selling it to another member of the forum who collects exceptional cues.

Mac and another local cuemaker (Rodney Hinde) were both up there with the very best cuemakers in the country.

Oldgit
                'Believe To Achieve'

Comment

Yeah thats me.

Small world.

Seems his cues were very good and up their.

Comment

There are only two cuemakers known in India, Mac chambers they say was the best there ever was in the 80s and 90s and off late john parris thanks to ronnie and jimmy.
                    RIP NOEL, A TRUE TSF LEGEND.

Comment

This was the message from the original seller of the ash Mac Chambers cue that I bought back in Nov 2009.......I am copying this from 'Chatlags' post.

Mac Chambers was well known in my snooker circle as a cue doctor - he didn't really make cues, he only fixed problems with them. When I met Mac, he was retired and was an ex precision engineer, like myself.

We have many chats on engineering and the very few cues that he did make, he had photographs in his workshop of many professionals holding his cue with trophies, he was very proud of that fact.

I asked him if he would be interested in making a custom cue for myself but he was reluctant because I believe that he was coming to the end of his association with snooker. Another topic of conversation was six cues in a glass showcase in his garage - each of them had a story - the two I remember was the very first cue he made when he was actively playing and said that he would never sell that particular cue. But nevertheless if I offered him the right money he would sell it.

The second story I remember was a cue - one of a pair of cues - made on commission for a young and upcoming player named Ronnie O'Sullivan. As you can imagine, my eyes lit up and I asked him how much he wanted for the cue. He said make me an offer, which I did at £500.00 and he gave me the cue. I don't really know when the cue was actually made, but would suggest, it was made in the early 1990's. Since owning the cue, around the Wolverton area, where I played it was well known to other snooker players.

Oldgit
                      'Believe To Achieve'

Comment

i knew mac for many years , he always did the work on my cues since 1981 , i always enjoyed my trips to rushden usually on a sunday, going into his garage for a chat and to here the news. mac made me a double one piece leather cue case which i still use today it is beautifully made and one of my treasured possessions. mac came to bedford one evening in i think1990 i was loking after the regal snooker club in bedford. we had james wattana for an exhibition and he made a 147.
                        mac was a true gent and a great craftsman, he is is greatly missed. thanks mac for all your heelp.

Comment

sorry to hear about macs passing .............i bought one of macs cues just before he 'retired' from cue making

Comment

just joined the forum sad to hear about mac ! i met him 20 years ago to buy a cue and i still use the same one to this day an exceptional peice of workmanship and i am proud to have it. i thought about getting a slight alteration on it recently so looked up mac but when i found out he had passed i decided that i would not get it done because i do not want any body else touching it.

Comment

Anyone like to put some pictures up? Especially the cues in the house of the OP?
                              www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Working...
                              X