Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What size ferrule and tip is it best to use ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What size ferrule and tip is it best to use ?

I'm about to buy a new cue, in the past ive always played with a 10mm tip and ferrule.

I don't know what the advantages or disadvantages are of playing with a smaller size ferrule and tip, i'll be going to craftsman cues to buy a new cue so i may try out a 9.5mm tip and ferrule this time round just to see how it feels.

Also while i'm here what tips do most people use, ive always used blue diamond tips mainly because it seemed to be what most people i know were using. From reading this site i noticed some pros like Ronnie O'Sullivan use an elkmaster, is that right ? From what ive read they seem to be softer, i presume they won't last as long as a blue diamond for example.

Any comments and feedback will be appreciated.
    sigpic

Any tip size between 9 and 10mm seems to be the most popular. Make sure the butt size is suitable for you, not too thick or not too thin. I am told 29mm dia. is about average. Most of the good players I know and some professionals I've spoken to prefer Elkmasters. Blue Diamond can be a bit rubbery even when played in. Plenty of cues to choose from at Craftsman Cues even old ones.

Comment

depends on what u play weather its snooker or pool if u are playing pool i use a 8.5 but when i play snooker i use a 9mm tip but most ppl who play snooker use a 9 to 10 mm like philthoms sed hope it helps

Comment

The smaller the tip. The less of the ball you hit. This could cause more miscues but also more control. You may find you can get more control using a smaller tip. Generally the smaller the tip the more cue ball action you can get.

Craftsman are brilliant cues and u can try all different lengths, tip sizes, weights etc until u find what u want.

Comment

You do not get more action with a smaller tip. Try 9.7 to 10mm.

Comment

If i was using a cue with 8mm-8.5mm you can get more screw, spin etc compared to when using 10mm plus

I appreciate the better standard of players can screw/spin anything but for me the smaller the tip, the more movement/action.

Comment

they do say u get more spin with a smaller tip and u can do more but u have to concentrate more

Comment

Do you see Trump using an 8mm tip. Who gets more back spin than he does. They were saying yesterday that had never known anybody getting more the he does. It is not the size of the tip, it is the use of it.

Comment

no but if u go back to what i sed at first what do u play pool or snooker ppl playing pool use a 8.5 mill to a 9 cos the balls are smaller thn snooker

Comment

Working...
                  X