Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on choosing a non-standard snooker cue

Hey guys,
    I've been playing snooker for a couple of years now but till recently I did not play regularly. Although I've always wanted to buy a cue - just recently I felt like I needed it. I'm still a novice - my largest break is 22 with 6 balls - but the game is really starting to take a permanent place in my mind

I've already read a couple of threads and articles about choosing a cue but I still need some help. My first problem is that I'm tall (196 cm) and I have longer hands than average people. I've read that the cue should be at most 5-6 inches under your shoulder and roughly measured my shoulder is about 65 inches above the ground. So I need a cue about 60 inches long and I can say from my experience that I really need a significantly longer one than those in the clubs. I've also noticed that I like playing with a heavier cue. The problem is that I have no idea what "a heavier one" exactly means. I've read that a standard cue is 17 ounces so would you suggest looking for a 18 or 19 one? The problem is that every article says "go in your local shop and try different weights and lengths and choose what fits you best" - but I have no local shop ... I'm in Bulgaria and though the sport here is gaining popularity fast - there is still no shop with wide range of cues on stock and a professional to help making the decision.

So I'll be really thankful for any suggestions - brands, actual cues, links for actual cues in actual online shops and so on my budget is around 100 GBP but I can give some more (maybe up to 150) if you persuade me that it's worth

Oh, and would you please tell me what's the advantage of a 3/4 length cue over a two-piece cue? And what's the standard tip size that players use? I've played with standard club cues (the are probably 9.5mm, or 10mm ?) but once there was a cue with a slightly smaller tip than others and actually I made my biggest break with it. Also, tips are normally glued, right? I also guess you'll advise me to buy an ash one? And if I can afford it - a hand-made one? What's the difference between hand-made and manufactured cues?

Wow, so many questions ... my post got a little bit long and I appreciate it that you got so far And I thank you in advance for your answers!

i hate a 2pc for some reaason not sure why lol just a beta feel with a 3/4 cue and i feen like a 2pc feels cheap all the time i would prob say go for a master cue or a gbl cue from green baize just tipe it in to google stu from green baize is a top bloke and i like his cues they are about 140 to 160 but i would prob go with 1 of them let me no how u get on mate and what u think about the cues

Comment

58" /9-10mm /18oz. are propably the most standard specs.. I wouldn't suggest a much heavier cue as the playing may come very difficult (i also "like" a heavy cue, i just can't play good with one)
      Would be easier to mention the cue brands that you should never get involved with, as there are so many great cue makers out there these days, just search this forum... even if it may sound silly i think you should put at least 150 on your cue as i think it may be worth it.
      I use a maple cue myself, but i still think that ash is slightly better material to play with. (i just couldn't get on with those grains)

Hope this helps..
      "It's just a shot away" -Rolling Stones-

Comment

Thanks for the answers guys!

@cameron0606 - I had a look on the cues you mentioned but almost all of them are 58" and I didn't see any longer than that. Is it realistic to expect to find a good 60" cue or should I get used to playing with a shorter one or a 3/4 with extension

Comment

u will find that they are hard to come buy cos not alot of ppl use longer cues they normerly get them custom made i have had mine costum made and it cost me 310 so email stu and ask him how much it will cos and also go to robin cook he might be abel to make it biga for u or go to cue craft they are good there as well they might be abel to help you they sed they can do it and they will prob be quicker as well they email u back straight away let me no

Comment

You could also try mastercraft cues (www.mastercraft-cues.co.uk) on their custom order form they have the option to go up to 60" as well as "other" so you can ask for a longer length than 60".
            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

pm trav here on the forum he might be able to made u one for a good price

Comment

I would also recommend spending £150 or more.

I think you could have a problem with finding a new cue and shipping for less.

Like already said, there is a lot of good cue makers out there so your main aim should be finding the spec you like / need.

Comment

Craftsman at Kippax have a Mastercue Pro-butt series,model number PB4 ash ,one piece on their website now.Specs are 60" (yes I did say 60") ,18oz ,10mm tip right on your specs.The only problem is that it is £167 and then you would have to factor in postage.If you check their website out they have a lot of 58" cues for sale at the moment including 3/4 cut cues.That PB4 might be worth breaking your budget for.Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                  X