Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Differences between ash and maple shaft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differences between ash and maple shaft?

I want to buy a maple cue but everyone seems to prefer ash for some reason, but maple cues are more expensive aswel! is there a difference other than appearance? because personally i rather the appearance of maple!

Yes a lot of people prefer ash. I have used both for a number of years and still prefer maple. Hendry and Ebdon use maple cues.
    No difference in play quality. Craftsman Cues near Leeds have some maple cues in stock both old and new and they have a full size table on which you can try the cues.

Comment

I just don't like the look of maple when I'm playing. If you do, then go for it.

Comment

Personally I have been led to believe that there is a massive difference between the two, as far as the way they play. Traditionally, maple cues are stiffer, and therefore don't throw the object ball as much if you are using side.
        I've never tried a maple cue so I don't know, but that is what I've always read.

Comment

I know each cue is individual and will play different but on the whole i find maple more springy more responsive and more likely to throw with side than ash . It may be just down to the cues that i,ve tried .

Comment

Originally Posted by hotpot View Post
            I know each cue is individual and will play different but on the whole i find maple more springy more responsive and more likely to throw with side than ash . It may be just down to the cues that i,ve tried .
            I found this too, my maple is quite springy and throws a lot more than my ash, gone back to my ash cue as main player now...

Comment

Originally Posted by cantpotforshíte View Post
              Personally I have been led to believe that there is a massive difference between the two, as far as the way they play. Traditionally, maple cues are stiffer, and therefore don't throw the object ball as much if you are using side.
              I've never tried a maple cue so I don't know, but that is what I've always read.
              I'm pretty sure stiffer cues generally throw more.

Comment

Originally Posted by cantpotforshíte View Post
                Hi can't pot I've spent last night watching loads of vids and reading up on throw and I thought that a stiff shaft throws more?

Comment

Originally Posted by Theguywithaplan View Post
                  I'm pretty sure stiffer cues generally throw more.
                  Sorry I did'nt read your post before, posting.

Comment

I think the stiffness/springyness of a cue has less effect than cue end mass i.e. the thickness of the last 6 inches of cue and the weight of the ferule, see:
                    http://www.youtube.com/user/FargoBil...25/mXJ7bDafTms

for a scientific approach, read:
                    http://www.billiards.colostate.edu/b...2008/aug08.pdf

it is backed up with normal and highspeed video, available here:
                    http://billiards.colostate.edu/

and you can read then whole series of articles here:
                    http://www.billiards.colostate.edu/b...les/index.html

(search for "Squirt" to find the earlier ones)

The conclusions were:
                    1. More added mass creates more squirt.
                    2. The closer the added mass is to the tip, the more squirt you get.
                    3. When mass is added beyond 6-8 inches, it has no effect on squirt.
                    4. A soft tip seems to create slightly more squirt than a hard tip.
                    "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
                    - Linus Pauling

Comment

so when

so when ye say throw ye mean the maple isnt as good at putting side on shots? like the cue slips! sorry i just never really looked into this sort of thing before!

Comment

I play with a maple cue which weighs 16 ounces, when I play say a three-quarter ball black at medium pace of its spot with running side to run off two cushions I do not need to allow for the 'squirt' as some people call it. However if I play the same shot with more force I do have to allow for the throw. I play with both maple and ash and have found very little difference between them.
                        I think you can get too scientific with any cue. Best just to choose a cue that feels good for you and play as much as possible with it. As your ability improves you can always change cues (or stick with the original).

Comment

Originally Posted by philthoms View Post
                          I play with a maple cue which weighs 16 ounces, when I play say a three-quarter ball black at medium pace of its spot with running side to run off two cushions I do not need to allow for the 'squirt' as some people call it. However if I play the same shot with more force I do have to allow for the throw.
                          That's interesting.. because here:
                          http://www.billiards.colostate.edu/b...007/sept07.pdf

He was surprised to find that speed didn't change the amount of throw/squirt. It would change the amount of swerve however, that is the effect that brings the ball back on to the original line, and even past it (if you elevate the butt of the cue). More speed would also give you more side spin off the cushion.

Originally Posted by philthoms View Post
                          I play with both maple and ash and have found very little difference between them.
                          I think you can get too scientific with any cue. Best just to choose a cue that feels good for you and play as much as possible with it. As your ability improves you can always change cues (or stick with the original).
                          Yeah, I reckon your brain can learn to adjust for whatever amount of squirt any given cue has, provided you practice it enough. Setting up the same shot time and again and playing with the same, then varying amounts of side for example should help you learn to judge how much adjustment you need.
                          "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
                          - Linus Pauling

Comment

Working...
                          X