Craftsman cues/finishes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craftsman cues/finishes

What's the quality like on Craftsman cues made by David Brown?

Also what are the finishes like on these cues?

The ones ive seen are excellent and well finished .

Comment

I'm just wondering how smooth the finishes are on the cues.

Comment

Craftsman use a wax rather than oil but to be fair the ones i,ve felt have an excellent smooth finish .

Comment

My old Craftsman was as smooth as you like, esp when given a quick rub with a microfibre cloth, wonder if Jim has ever had it out of it's case?
          One day I'll make a century, I've knocked in a 51!

Comment

Quality is good. I didn't like the wax finish and took it off. I felt the finish made my hand sweat.

Comment

The finish is smooth but its not as good as just plain old raw linseed oil.

Craftsman dont just use one oil or wax. They use a combination of oils and their wax.

Different cues have different oils / finishes and they test different things all the time.

I spoke to Dave about his finishes and when I ordered my maple cue from them, I asked for him to finish it will raw linseed oil instead and he did.

But I am sure it still had wax and another oil on it to go with linseed oil.

Either way, its a different finish but still really smooth.

Make your own mind up whether you like it.

As for the cues, the ones I have had are top quality.

Comment

One of my cues is an oil finished Craftsman and it is fantastic. Their pro-ash shafts are well worth a look too if you want to be choosey about the grain pattern.

Comment

Originally Posted by Bigmeek View Post
                  Quality is good. I didn't like the wax finish and took it off. I felt the finish made my hand sweat.
                  Same with my Craftsman Olivewood cue. Didn't like the wax finish, so re-finished the cue with raw linseed oil and bleached linseed oil - about 8 layers in total until the shaft soaked the amount of oil it needed. Final layer - Craftsman wax. Now it feels great and even the grain is darker.

As for the cue, the one I have is very good quality.
                  Last edited by Asi; 13 May 2011, 05:19 PM.
                  Proud winner of the 2009 Premier League Semi-Final Prediction Contest

Comment

Lol slightly confused me there Asi ! You didn't like the Craftsman's wax finish, so you took it off and replaced it with Craftsman's wax ............??????

Comment

I'm not a fan of the finish on their cues....

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                        Lol slightly confused me there Asi ! You didn't like the Craftsman's wax finish, so you took it off and replaced it with Craftsman's wax ............??????
                        Added the oil. before it had no oil at all. made a huge impact on the finish and feel
                        Proud winner of the 2009 Premier League Semi-Final Prediction Contest

Comment

Originally Posted by jaffa.johnson View Post
                          The finish is smooth but its not as good as just plain old raw linseed oil.

Craftsman dont just use one oil or wax. They use a combination of oils and their wax.

Different cues have different oils / finishes and they test different things all the time.

I spoke to Dave about his finishes and when I ordered my maple cue from them, I asked for him to finish it will raw linseed oil instead and he did.

But I am sure it still had wax and another oil on it to go with linseed oil.
                          Either way, its a different finish but still really smooth.

Make your own mind up whether you like it.

I personally will never do business with them again.

I for one will never do business with then again.

As for the cues, the ones I have had are top quality.

I have previoucly posted negative feedback re Craftsman cues and had others disagree - one of whom was Jaffa - yet here he clearly states he asked for one type of finish which was agreed and was then sent something else ?

That was my point and original criticism - when I dealt with them they did not provide the service that had been clearly communicated and requested of them - that in my opinion is pretty poor and uacceptable. Furthermore when I contacted to outline my personal dissatisfaction I was given b very short shrift.

I will leave it with you to make up your own minds but please be aware of potential issues.

I will not be using them again.
                          Last edited by sprogbasket; 14 May 2011, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by sprogbasket View Post
                            I have previoucly posted negative feedback re Craftsman cues and had others disagree - one of whom was Jaffa - yet here he clearly states he asked for one type of finish which was agreed and was then sent something else ?

That was my point and original criticism - when I dealt with them they did not provide the service that had been clearly communicated and requested of them - that in my opinion is pretty poor and uacceptable. Furthermore when I contacted to outline my personal dissatisfaction I was given b very short shrift.

I will leave it with you to make up your own minds but please be aware of potential issues.

I will not be using them again.
                            Sprogbasket,

Why have you added 2 lines to my original post as part of your quote.

I never said

"I personally will never do business with them again.

I for one will never do business with then again."

Everyone else, please check my post as sprogbasket is somewhat discrediting craftsmans when I think there are abosolutely fantastic cues.

I just gave my thoughts on the finish.

As for their service, this is also brilliantly. Honest, sound advice.

Comment

Sincere apologies jaffa = those lines were intended to go on the end of my comment not your quote, bad editing by me.

I am not discrediting Craftsman cues merely balancing the books - as a customer of theirs I feel their service left quite a bit to be desired .

I have no opinion on their cues but I certainly do have an opinion on the service they provide. ... which I have made clear.

Comment

Working...
                              X