Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I accidentally removed the finish of the shaft....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I accidentally removed the finish of the shaft....

Hi guys, I tried to polish the ferrule of my cue today, but due to my careless, I pushed some of the wire wool onto a bit of the shaft under the ferrule....

Now, the colour of that bit looks lighter then the rest of the shaft...

Apparently, the finish of that bit is gone and I think I even removed some of the wood/grain.

What should I do now

Please give me some advises

My advice would be if its bugging you, then give to someone who can refurb it. Be an easy fix for them and there are some good guys on here that you can trust.
    JP Majestic
    3/4
    57"
    17oz
    9.5mm Elk

Comment

Originally Posted by KevinMA View Post
      Hi guys, I tried to polish the ferrule of my cue today, but due to my careless, I pushed some of the wire wool onto a bit of the shaft under the ferrule....

Apparently, the finish of that bit is gone and I think I even removed some of the wood/grain.

What should I do now

Picture on here will help you a lot, so that cue doctor will know what to do, hope your cue will recover soon
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5NJt...eature=related
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObX6G...eature=related
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzNirO2VkH4
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1uYI...eature=related

Comment

Thanks throtts, its just a minor problem tho, the cost of sending it to UK just for refinishing exceeds the benefit lol

Thanks 888, I tried to take some photos just now, but couldn't find an angle that reflect the "whiten" bit of the cue...it looked very normal in those photos that I've taken. I will try to take a few more tomorrow, see if I can come up with better ones.

Do you guys think applying some raw linseed oil would solve the problem? I have read elsewhere that linseed oil do make the cue look "yellowish"..I'm planning to apply some to my cue next week because I want it to be shiny

Comment

Thanks throtts, its just a minor problem tho, the cost of sending it to UK just for refinishing exceeds the benefit lol

Thanks 888, I tried to take some photos just now, but couldn't find an angle that reflect the "whiten" bit of the cue...it looked very normal in those photos that I've taken. I will try to take a few more tomorrow, see if I can come up with better ones.

Do you guys think applying some raw linseed oil would solve the problem? I have read elsewhere that linseed oil do make the cue look "yellowish"..I'm planning to apply some to my cue next week because I want it to be shiny
          If you did not remove any grain filler, oiling it is fine. But if you need to fill the grains first then I would say do not oil your shaft yet.
          It is hard to tell without any picture.
          www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
            If you did not remove any grain filler, oiling it is fine. But if you need to fill the grains first then I would say do not oil your shaft yet.
            It is hard to tell without any picture.
            poolqjunkie, these are the best photos that I could come up with.
            Please take a look and let me know what you think.
            Thanks
            Attached Files

Comment

Get on with your playing, there's nothing wrong with it!
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Old cue collector --
              Cue Sales: http://oldcues.co.uk/index.php?id=for_sale_specials
              (yes I know they're not cheap, I didn't intend them to be!..)
              ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally Posted by perpetualboredom View Post
                hahaha, you beat me to it. You should see the state of my stick...
                JP Majestic
                3/4
                57"
                17oz
                9.5mm Elk

Comment

Looks fine to me. Oil it, wipe off the excess, leave it to dry then buff it...and then just use it as usual.
                  www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

What should I do now

Best method would be to get some black boot wax and mix it up with some linseed oil and apply it on the lighter area,just apply it using your fingers.
                    Leave it for some time(an hour) and then buff it up with dry cloth.
                    It will darken the grain and bring back the old finish.
                    Trust me this works out really well.
                    My deep screw shot
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHXTv4Dt-ZQ

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
                      Looks fine to me. Oil it, wipe off the excess, leave it to dry then buff it...and then just use it as usual.
                      Thanks m8, I will oil it next week!
                      but do I wipe off excess oil right away after applied? or I have to wait certain amount of time, like maybe a hour?

Originally Posted by sunny3909 View Post
                      Best method would be to get some black boot wax and mix it up with some linseed oil and apply it on the lighter area,just apply it using your fingers.
                      Leave it for some time(an hour) and then buff it up with dry cloth.
                      It will darken the grain and bring back the old finish.
                      Trust me this works out really well.
                      Thanks Sunny, but I will see how it goes after oiled first

Comment

Originally Posted by perpetualboredom View Post
                        yeah m8, I know there's nothing wrong in term of playability, but it's just bothering me psychologically somehow

Comment

Hi KevinMA, you wipe the excess off straight away, but "excess" is a misnomer as really you will not be applying much at all. It is not like painting
                          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                            Hi KevinMA, you wipe the excess off straight away, but "excess" is a misnomer as really you will not be applying much at all. It is not like painting
                            thank Dean..I will give it a try next week when I have time how many coat would you suggest tho?

Comment

thank Dean..I will give it a try next week when I have time how many coat would you suggest tho?
                              should only need 1 coat, you cant get more oil into the wood than the wood wants to drink... but wipe off the excess then leave to air dry then buff it up again - NOT with sandpaper or wire wool, use a paper towel or microfibre cloth

Comment

Working...
                              X