Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The pro's .. Average cue length, weight and tip size ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The pro's .. Average cue length, weight and tip size ?

I was just curious as to what the average spec seems to be on the cues used by the pro's ?

Length
    Weight
    Tip size
    Butt diameter

I appreciate they all use different length cues due to people being taller and shorter, larger hands etc etc, i was just wondering whether the pros favour a heavier cue and larger tip as opposed to a smaller tip and lighter cue etc. From what i believe they prefer larger tips around 10mm, is that right ?
    sigpic

stig:

From the pros I've watched and played, I figure they mostly use a ferrule size somewhere around 9.5mm, length somewhere between 57" and 58" and weight somewhere between 17.5oz and 18.5oz and butt diameter around 29mm.

Obviously there are some pros outside of these specs but I think in general terms most of them would fall into the above category. If a pro happens to have really small hands then maybe a 27-28mm butt but with brass ferrules I haven't yet seen a pro with a 10mm or larger tip in the snooker world. Some are a bit smaller than 9.5mm but I'm not aware of any who are down to 9mm or below.

Terry
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Most pros prefer lighter cues because of the fast playing conditions.
      As far I know Ronnie uses an 18 oz,Higgins cue is 17oz or slightly below,Judd Trump's cue is 17.5oz.
      Very few pros go over 18.5 oz.
      Jimmy white uses an 19oz cue.
      My deep screw shot
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHXTv4Dt-ZQ

Comment

on the subject of tip size/ferrule size shaun murphy's ferrule is 8.75mm

Comment

anyone ever tried a 10mm tip ?
          should be easier to aim but would give you less effect on the CB right ?
          how much less side would you "loose" compared to a 9.5 ?
          thanks
          PS. I use: 9.5 mm tip, 30,25 mm butt, 58 " length, 18.25 oz weight
          :snooker: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERnqd...4&feature=plcp

Comment

John Parrott apparently used to play with an 11mm tip, ive just started to play with a 10mm tip having played with a 9mm tip when i used to play regular. The biggest thing that takes some getting used too is the shaft is a lot thicker and stiffer, ive started to get used to that a bit. The thing that helps is i'm playing with an 11mm Talisman soft tip thats trimmed down to 10mm, they give you a lot more grip on the cue ball which makes side and screw a bit easier than it would be with a blue diamond.

Personally i think the amount of side and screw that you can generate is mainly down to your cueing action and not the size of the tip, ive seen players screwing the ball all over the table with a 10mm tip and not having any trouble with side.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
              stig:

From the pros I've watched and played, I figure they mostly use a ferrule size somewhere around 9.5mm, length somewhere between 57" and 58" and weight somewhere between 17.5oz and 18.5oz and butt diameter around 29mm.
              Terry
              Wow... That's one hell of an observation from watching most snooker/pro's on tv eh...lol.

Comment

Why don't most people look a player height and arm length when discussing cue length - I use a 60.5" cue but I am 6'2" with a 78" span. Being taller has some disadvantages but one advantage is longer sighting line and less off line stroke error. eg (with 58" cue) you have 8" of cue in front of bridge leaving about 47" to the front of the grip hand - if you happen to push to the side .5" with your back hand at impact, your cue with be off line (slope 0.0106). If you are using a cue that is 2.5" longer then you have 49.5" from bridge to the front of the grip hand. Same .5" off line with back hand at impact = off line (slope) 0.0101 - This = a 5% greater error for the shorter cue.

I think I loose some acuracy with a 57 - 58" cue, plus I have too little cue in front of my bridge unless I choke up with my bridge hand. This causes the bridge hand wrist angle to increase adding joint stress. I find this makes it harder to keep the 2 point side of the bridge in line with the shot. (When I can I always use a 3 point bridge - 2 contact points on one side and one contact point on the other).

Comment

Originally Posted by HemiRR View Post
                  Why don't most people look a player height and arm length when discussing cue length - I use a 60.5" cue but I am 6'2" with a 78" span. Being taller has some disadvantages but one advantage is longer sighting line and less off line stroke error. eg (with 58" cue) you have 8" of cue in front of bridge leaving about 47" to the front of the grip hand - if you happen to push to the side .5" with your back hand at impact, your cue with be off line (slope 0.0106). If you are using a cue that is 2.5" longer then you have 49.5" from bridge to the front of the grip hand. Same .5" off line with back hand at impact = off line (slope) 0.0101 - This = a 5% greater error for the shorter cue.

I think I loose some acuracy with a 57 - 58" cue, plus I have too little cue in front of my bridge unless I choke up with my bridge hand. This causes the bridge hand wrist angle to increase adding joint stress. I find this makes it harder to keep the 2 point side of the bridge in line with the shot. (When I can I always use a 3 point bridge - 2 contact points on one side and one contact point on the other).
                  You can be as accurate as you like , if you dont feel comfortable with the cue length then it will just play on your mind . Personally i like a 57 or 56 3/4 cue as i feel i have more control . Your bridge arm has a lot to do with it aswell .

Comment

Working...
                  X