Andy Travis Cue Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andy Travis Cue Review

Here is my brief review of my new cue made by Andy Travis. You'll have to bear with me as this is my first cue review.

I'll let the pictures do the talking mostly as that's how many people judge a cue while buying over the net.

Here are the specs i asked for:
    Style - One Piece with Butt Joint
    Shaft - Ash
    Butt Timber - Purple Heart
    Splices - 4 Olive Wood Splices
    Length - 58"
    Tip - 9.5mm
    Weight - 18.5-19oz
    Butt - 29.5-30mm
    Balance point - 17.5-18"

I don't have the tools/appliances to measure the weight and sizes. So I can't give you exact weights and sizes. However by comparing it to my older cues it seems to be bang on, on all apart from the weight. It feels closer to 18oz. But i suspect this to be because of the balance point. My other cues are all balanced at 15-16".

The splices of the cue are very nicely done. And all pretty even. There is one splice on the butt timber slightly higher than the rest but only ever so slightly. You can't notice it unless your looking for it. The shaft is stiff but not too stiff. It has a little flex on power shots, but normal shots it feels nice and stiff. All my other cues are 3/4 jointed. This feels far more solid while striking the cue ball. This may be down to it being a one piece. I've never owned a one piece cue before. However i truely feel it's down to the quality of the cue.

I specifically asked for a yellow/golden shaft as i like it to look a little aged. I had a quote from a few cue makers within my price range and i went for Andy as he could make exactly what i wanted in my price range. A few other cue makers wouldn't/didn't use Purple Heart. So they were out of contention right away. I'm pleased i went to Andy. His service is brilliant and he's a nice chap to speak too.

Anyway back onto the review.

I asked for a quick release butt joint, and for two extensions also with butt joints. This was no problem at all. My reasons for solid extensions instead of the extendable ones is that i find they don't make your cue front heavy like the extendable ones. However just one mini butt wasn't going to allow to me make all shots. Andy suggested not two 6" ones but one 6" and one 9.5". Excellent idea from Andy i they do come in very handy.

The quality of the Purple Heart is also very nice. I've seen some that are bright pink that i liked. However mine is a very dark purple almost maroon colour. I wasn't 100% weather i would like it, but it turns out i love it. It's very eye catching yet not over the top.

And for all wondering the case is a one piece from boys on the baize. Excellent case for the price.

I'm not going to reveal the price i paid for the cue, however Andy (trav on this forum) has had a few for sale. So you can get a rough idea of what i paid. If Andy reads this thread and feels it's ok to reveal the price he's welcome to do so. I'd just rather people e-mail him for a quote rather than go by hearsay. As his cues are excellent for the money. I will be making a second order just after Xmas is over for a shorter cue for pool.

Now i'll let the pictures do the rest of the talking. Sorry for the poor quality, but my digital camera has decided to conk out on me. So my phone camera will have to do as a short term substitute.

Last edited by hunter101; 18 November 2011, 01:30 AM. Reason: typing errors

Great looking cue you have there, I doubt there are many other around like it.

I thought I would just add that yesterday I received my cue back from Andy after some alterations/repairs and the work he did definitely deserves a mention. My cue is an old Claude Falkiner Facsimile Cue which had seen better days and I sent it to him to have a ferrule/tip, 3/4 joint and to be extended by a couple of inches. The work done on extending the cue by inserting a piece of ebony into the middle of the butt is second to none, you can't see where this has been done at all as it matches perfectly. The joint is also top quality. The cue also came back having been fully refinished and polished and a chip in the butt repaired, none of which I was expecting and the cue now feels superb. Andy got to work straight away and posted the cue back within a couple of days of receiving it. As above, I won't mention prices but all this work was done for less than half of what my local cue maker quoted, not including the refinish and chip repair.

If you are looking for any cue alterations I would strongly recommend Andy, his workmanship really is top notch. If anyone would like pictures of the work done to my cue feel free to leave your email address and I will send some.

Apologies for hijacking your cue review!

Comment

Fantastic looking cue and a nice review.

Comment

Nice review..

Ive had a few email dealings with Andy and he's top drawer.
        Unclevit C Brand - CueGuru Tip.

Comment

Originally Posted by hunter101 View Post
          Here is my brief review of my new cue made by Andy Travis. You'll have to bear with me as this is my first cue review.

I'll let the pictures do the talking mostly as that's how many people judge a cue while buying over the net.

Here are the specs i asked for:
          Style - One Piece with Butt Joint
          Shaft - Ash
          Butt Timber - Purple Heart
          Splices - 4 Olive Wood Splices
          Length - 58"
          Tip - 9.5mm
          Weight - 18.5-19oz
          Butt - 29.5-30mm
          Balance point - 17.5-18"

I don't have the tools/appliances to measure the weight and sizes. So I can't give you exact weights and sizes. However by comparing it to my older cues it seems to be bang on, on all apart from the weight. It feels closer to 18oz. But i suspect this to be because of the balance point. My other cues are all balanced at 15-16".

The splices of the cue are very nicely done. And all pretty even. There is one splice on the butt timber slightly higher than the rest but only ever so slightly. You can't notice it unless your looking for it. The shaft is stiff but not too stiff. It has a little flex on power shots, but normal shots it feels nice and stiff. All my other cues are 3/4 jointed. This feels far more solid while striking the cue ball. This may be down to it being a one piece. I've never owned a one piece cue before. However i truely feel it's down to the quality of the cue.

I specifically asked for a yellow/golden shaft as i like it to look a little aged. I had a quote from a few cue makers within my price range and i went for Andy as he could make exactly what i wanted in my price range. A few other cue makers wouldn't/didn't use Purple Heart. So they were out of contention right away. I'm pleased i went to Andy. His service is brilliant and he's a nice chap to speak too.

Anyway back onto the review.

I asked for a quick release butt joint, and for two extensions also with butt joints. This was no problem at all. My reasons for solid extensions instead of the extendable ones is that i find they don't make your cue front heavy like the extendable ones. However just one mini butt wasn't going to allow to me make all shots. Andy suggested not two 6" ones but one 6" and one 9.5". Excellent idea from Andy i they do come in very handy.

The quality of the Purple Heart is also very nice. I've seen some that are bright pink that i liked. However mine is a very dark purple almost maroon colour. I wasn't 100% weather i would like it, but it turns out i love it. It's very eye catching yet not over the top.

And for all wondering the case is a one piece from boys on the baize. Excellent case for the price.

I'm not going to reveal the price i paid for the cue, however Andy (trav on this forum) has had a few for sale. So you can get a rough idea of what i paid. If Andy reads this thread and feels it's ok to reveal the price he's welcome to do so. I'd just rather people e-mail him for a quote rather than go by hearsay. As his cues are excellent for the money. I will be making a second order just after Xmas is over for a shorter cue for pool.

Now i'll let the pictures do the rest of the talking. Sorry for the poor quality, but my digital camera has decided to conk out on me. So my phone camera will have to do as a short term substitute.

the olivewood goes great with the purpleheart maybe would have had the bottom splices a bit longer

Comment

It sure does contrast very well. At first it didn't have the small bottom splices. Andy said it looked a little bare and i remember seeing a cue before with small bottom splices so i thought why not. I'm very pleased with it. I know some people claim that a cue doesn't make you a better player. However i've not beaten my dad with my old cues for months. This week i haven't dropped a frame to him. It's just helping me with my consistency. Something which i've always struggled with.

Comment

ive got to admit sometimes a cue inspires wins and the wins build more confidence and goes on from there

Comment

This is what i believe to be happening. Whereas before i would string 5 or 6 balls together and run out of position i'm now doubling that without too much trouble. Still working hard on my cueball control though. I often have the urge to put bottom on the ball for no apparent reason. My dad is under the impression it's just to slow the white down as i've got a heavy touch. But with time and patients i can work on that. If only my club wasn't £3.90 an hour. I'm currently playing about 5/6 hours a week. I'm looking to at least double that when i find a new place to play that's cheaper and not too difficult to get to

Comment

Where you located muck

Comment

I live in Caerphilly. And i don't drive. So ideally walking distance would be handy. But i'm thinking i'll have to look even further afield and use public transport.

There are one or two social clubs close by but they only have one or two tables. And from what i've heared there are people on them all day.

Comment

Originally Posted by hunter101 View Post
                      I live in Caerphilly. And i don't drive. So ideally walking distance would be handy. But i'm thinking i'll have to look even further afield and use public transport.

There are one or two social clubs close by but they only have one or two tables. And from what i've heared there are people on them all day.
                      A caerphilly boy eh....

Treccy snooker club you play at is it fella?

Nice cue bud, might see ya about with it sometime...

Comment

3.90 an hour is cheap!!!
                        Unclevit C Brand - CueGuru Tip.

Comment

Originally Posted by cally View Post
                          A caerphilly boy eh....

Treccy snooker club you play at is it fella?

Nice cue bud, might see ya about with it sometime...
                          I live in First Avenue so the club is literally right around the corner. Yeah don't be afraid to pop over and say hi if you see me playing. It'll either be on my todd or with the old man.

It might not sound alot to you deepscrew, but i'm guessing you've never seen the tables there. They are pretty much all full of holes and very few of them are any good for playing slow shots. I think there are 12/13 tables. And at the moment there are 3 decent ones.

Comment

Hunter if you jump on the 120 Blaencwm bus to Trehafod then you can practice with me in my club in Trehafod its a pound an hour .

Give me a bell on 07740840591

Neil

Comment

Originally Posted by hotpot View Post
                              Hunter if you jump on the 120 Blaencwm bus to Trehafod then you can practice with me in my club in Trehafod its a pound an hour .

Give me a bell on 07740840591

Neil
                              For a pound an hour it's worth the travel. And i'd get to meet someone from TSF which is always a plus. I'm just looking for the timetable now on stagecoach.

Comment

Working...
                              X