Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to make a cue with this design?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to make a cue with this design?

If you open this link you will see the 1st page of JP's cue builder.

https://www.parriscues.com/cue_builder

Is it possible to make a cue that looks like this, and is functional?
    I guess it would be terribly whippy..?

Just one piece of ash(or perhaps with a 3/4 joint).
    No other wood.
    No color. No veneers. No splicings.

Well it wouldn't be whippy ?? as long as the ash is same as used for any other cue it would be ok. The possibly problem would be it is too light, as the ebony butt is what gives a cue its weight as well as additional weights etc

Comment

A friend has a Cannon cue that is 100% ash and is quite a nice cue, it is short at just over 55" and reasonably light at over 17oz and not whippy at all.
      Attached Files
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I have a couple of cues which are just ash and one which is just maple all made by Cue Craft (2 custom made) which were experimental cues that are extremely light for UK 8 ball pool.

Having no hardwood means that they require atrificial weight adding in most cases unless you want a very light cue.

The maple one weighed in at a mere 12oz before the 3/4 and mini butt joint was added and is now 13.8oz. The Ash 3/4 is 13.6oz and the 1 pc is 14oz which as artificial weight added.

Comment

Just the answers I was looking for!
          Can a cuemaker add enough artificial weight to a one piece, to make it 16-17 oz, without tampering too much with the look?
          Guess I could ask a cuemaker, but they seem to be busy these days...

Comment

I am sure a cuemaker can add weight that will not affect the look as usually the "slugs" of lead are inserted into a hole bored from the butt end. There may be other techniques but that is the usual one as I understand it.
            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I used to use onethe same as this when I first started playing. (It was dads spare cue). It had no ebony, no veneers, no name even. Weighed 17 1/2 (stamped), and didn't even have a badge on it. Was a pretty good player, prob medium stiff. Only downside was a slight bend near the tip. After I got my own cue, dad swapped it with his mate who used it til the day he died. No idea where it is now, as his son uses a mannock, and grandson uses an old maple, so neither had a use for it.
              If you want to play the pink, but you're hampered by the red, you could always try to play the brown!

Comment

I have a Craftsman 3/4 that specs out at 56 3/4" long, 9.75mm ferrule and tip,19.5oz,jointed at 16",s.d. joint as well as 3/4,balance is exactly on the joint ( 16" ).Plain ash and very tight grain.I bought it as a "breaking" cue when I was experimenting with my World Rules break and whilst it is a sledgehammer of a cue it is also eminently playable ( once you get used to it ).One of my sons now uses it as his playing cue,so the answer is yes you can make a non-whippy,plain cue that is well balanced and plays well.As in all cues it is timber,taper,balance and the cuemakers skill that makes a good cue and not what it looks like.

Comment

Like others have said, this is all possible.

I would estimate you can get it done for £50.

Comment

Nice! Think I will order one..

Comment

i have several like that.
                      https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Working...
                      X