Linsead oil on butt ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linsead oil on butt ?

Can anyone offer advice on whether one should use this oil on the butt ?
    So far I have had one cue maker say yes it's fine and another say no definitely not, however the latter sells his own butt polish.
    " Cues are like girlfriends,once they become an EX I don't want them hanging around ".

I've done it on my parris a few times without any problems. I can't remember what Parris told me as it was over a year ago since i last did it. I was going to re-oil last night, but was watching the darts instead!

Comment

Who said it was ok and who said it wasn't?

And what finish is already on the butt?
      The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

It should not be a problem I would think...
        www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Raw linseed oil is ok to apply to the whole cue not just the butt.
          It also depends on the original finish of the cue/butt.

Cue - Butt - Result
          Varnish - Varnish - Will not soak into the wood but will allow for a buff finish once dry for smoothness (may take a longer time to dry to touch), finish and feel does not last too long though (relative to oil-on-oil and usage.
          ?? Paint Same a varnish, will not improve look but can get smooth feel after buffing. Does not last long. See note below.
          Oil Oil Best combination, will revitalise the wood and allow for a good look and buffing for smoothness, long lasting.
          Oil/Wax Wax May not revitalise the wood but will allow for a buff finish once dry for smoothness. Reasonable lasting.

As always the trick is to not apply too much raw linseed oil at any one time, wipe off excess, allow to dry (to touch), repeat application if required, once dry buff.
          You can purchase oils from cue makers where they have specially mixed their own combination of oils and waxes (ingredients and amounts secret ) and you can get very good results from these.
          These finding are what I have found over the years with cleaning up various friends cues for them, so is purely based on a "small" number of cues. But what you can see is that applying raw linseed oil will not damage a cue, except in one instance where a friend had a painted butt which was very battered and the paint was flaking off in many places. I did warn him but he went away and applied oil and after a while the paint started separating from the wood and flaking off at a greater rate.
          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

The cue is a Parris ultimate and JP does not recommend using oil on the butt,a local cue maker Peter Hanley says no problem.
            My concern is that applying the oil to the butt may in the long term somehow affect the glue under the veneers.
            " Cues are like girlfriends,once they become an EX I don't want them hanging around ".

Comment

Originally Posted by sydneygeorge View Post
              The cue is a Parris ultimate and JP does not recommend using oil on the butt,a local cue maker Peter Hanley says no problem.
              My concern is that applying the oil to the butt may in the long term somehow affect the glue under the veneers.
              Probably to do with the way they polish the butt with wax.
              Last edited by narl; 23 December 2011, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by MikeWooldridge View Post
                Who said it was ok and who said it wasn't?

And what finish is already on the butt?
                Mike,

What is your answer to this? Do you recommend it or does it depend on other factors?
                The bitter taste of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Comment

I think Mike's questions are valid enough, and are likely to be what I'd have asked too.

You do need to take some care in just whacking on oil (linseed in this case) to any timber, as the result can be prettly variable from one species to another. As a rule, any timber will take an oil finish, but, some timbers will be far more tricky in getting the sort of "feeling" you may desire to it. Oils can also cause some timbers to darken considerably, so if retaining the appearance of colour you "might" want your cue to have is important, then be cautious. Linseed oil is one of those which will darken timber a fair amount, and furthermore, if applied in copious amounts and left on the wood, it will end up feeling like you've dipped your cue in treacle.

There are a number of oils which can be used for treating cues, although far more often than not, the vast majority of cues need nothing to be applied to them. A dry cloth is a cue's best friend, and will remove much of the surface dust, as well as help in creating a lovely natural patina to the wood over time. There are many "cue oils" it seems now, but, these are just oils for finishing wood, and are not magic. They will only be of some use to a cue if the cue requires further finishing, and of little or no benefit if the cue is fine as it is. The problem is, (as many will be aware) players like to feel they are doing something proactive in protecting their pride and joy, and so are very willing in using whatever product is available to them, and marketed in such a way as to suggest it's needed. It isn't difficult to get the same finish using a number of oils, if they are used in a fairly correct manner, and if the timber is prepped reasonably before any oil is applied. I am not going into what I do personally, and cannot speak for what other makers do, but I would say that there's likely to be no end of oil applied, to no end of cues, that in all probability just do not need any oil applied at all.

Still, linseed oil will not kill your cue, and Mr Parris knows that. If you're going to do it, fine, but don't over-do it. You won't be helping it.
                  Last edited by trevs1; 23 December 2011, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Trevor

Can I just ask another point about the general cleaning of the shaft, is it ok to use a damp (and I mean damp) cloth to clean the
                    shaft occasionally? I've heard different responses to this question with some people saying that you should never use any
                    water on the shaft as it raises the grain. Would appreciate your views on this

Comment

Using a very slightly damp cloth (hardly wet at all) will be ok, but only run up and down the cue once and then dry off thoughtly quickly after with a dry cloth.
                      Beware, moisure can cause grain to rise and so can cause the wood to feel rougher than it was before.
                      Unless the cue is really dirty or you have any doubts - don't.
                      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Wayne G View Post
                        Mike,

What is your answer to this? Do you recommend it or does it depend on other factors?
                        depends on the original finish. but usually would be no problem at all.

certainly won't harm it regardless.
                        The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

the simple way to keep any well finished cue in perfect condition:

http://handmadecues.com/info/20-cuecare.htm
                          The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

cheers Mike & Dean, that's what I thought.

Comment

Imo, providing the cue is finished correctly in the first place, all u need to keep smooth is a dry cloth.

As to linseed oil on the butt. This is fine. Just dont do too much in one go.

Comment

Working...
                              X