X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Value Cues

Hi Every One
    Merry Xmas

I was wondering which ones are the best value cues? Are the Riley cues we often find at high street shops here in the UK good enough to play a decent game with? Or you have to get a 100 quids plus cue to play better?

Additionally, why most pros use 3/4 cut cues?

Having an expensive cue doesn't make it a good one.

Most pros use 3/4 cues mainly due to ease of transport. Or at least that's my understanding

Comment

Originally Posted by hunter101 View Post
      Having an expensive cue doesn't make it a good one.

Most pros use 3/4 cues mainly due to ease of transport. Or at least that's my understanding
      1/2 cut cue is more portable than the 3/4 one, isn't it?

Comment

Originally Posted by hsn View Post
        1/2 cut cue is more portable than the 3/4 one, isn't it?
        I've had some thoughts about this... Perhaps it's for aesthetic reasons, as it seems quite a pity to cut across the middle of a beautifully grained ash shaft. Could be historic too... I think in times immemorial, LOL, the extensions for a personal cue were made in such a way that you unscrew the 3/4 cue butt to fix them on, like what Matthew Stevens does. Or maybe it's just more difficult to get the balance right for a middle jointed cue, so less were build this way.

Many people feel that a one piece or 3/4 jointed cue "hits" better, so more demand for them leads to an increased supply. Although personally, I don't feel much difference... I've owned and tried quite a few types... the position of the joint did not help me pot any better.

Just hazarding some guesses...

And oh, a cue need not be expensive to play well. If you choose well, a hundred quid can get you a pretty decent cue good enough for all levels of play. But if you're into customised hand made ones by top cue makers, then it gets much dearer.
        When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD!!

Comment

I dont think the majority of top players use a 3/4 . From the top of my head , O,Sullivan , Trump , Higgins , Selby , Carter , ding , maguire , Murphy , use one piece cues .

Comment

Originally Posted by damienlch View Post
            I've had some thoughts about this... Perhaps it's for aesthetic reasons, as it seems quite a pity to cut across the middle of a beautifully grained ash shaft. Could be historic too... I think in times immemorial, LOL, the extensions for a personal cue were made in such a way that you unscrew the 3/4 cue butt to fix them on, like what Matthew Stevens does. Or maybe it's just more difficult to get the balance right for a middle jointed cue, so less were build this way.

Many people feel that a one piece or 3/4 jointed cue "hits" better, so more demand for them leads to an increased supply. Although personally, I don't feel much difference... I've owned and tried quite a few types... the position of the joint did not help me pot any better.

Just hazarding some guesses...

And oh, a cue need not be expensive to play well. If you choose well, a hundred quid can get you a pretty decent cue good enough for all levels of play. But if you're into customised hand made ones by top cue makers, then it gets much dearer.
            i used to find with a centre joint my chin hairs got caught in it and it bloody hurt!

Comment

Originally Posted by andy carson View Post
              i used to find with a centre joint my chin hairs got caught in it and it bloody hurt!
              Ouch... how I cringed when I first saw Rory McLeod play snooker on Youtube; he was playing against John Higgins in the World Champs earlier this year... half the time I was fretting his facial hair might get caught in the grains of his cue shaft or something.
              When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD!!

Comment

Most of them use 3/4 cut cues. If you watch in HD you can easily tell.
                Thanx for replying anyway
                Originally Posted by hotpot View Post
                I dont think the majority of top players use a 3/4 . From the top of my head , O,Sullivan , Trump , Higgins , Selby , Carter , ding , maguire , Murphy , use one piece cues .

Comment

All of the players Hotpot listed use 1 piece cues. HD doesn't saw cues in half!!

Comment

Originally Posted by andy carson View Post
                    ant u got a cat then andy didnt think u were old enuf

Comment

Originally Posted by jim evans View Post
                      ant u got a cat then andy didnt think u were old enuf

ive got a dog who ignores me, and unfortunately yeah im old enough been playing for 15 /20 years now and still crap!

Comment

i think we awt 2 have a ******s comp ile b first on list,we cud prob fill wembley lol

Comment

Originally Posted by jim evans View Post
                          i think we awt 2 have a ******s comp ile b first on list,we cud prob fill wembley lol

im in too but can we do it northwest this time???

Comment

Originally Posted by hotpot
                            Errr, which one, Hsn?

Quite a number of players do use 3/4 jointed cues... I could be wrong but just to name a few... Williams, Robertson, Hendry, Gould, Stevens, Fu, King...

So, I guess it's just a matter of preference really...

Comment

Yeah, I am torn between 1 piece or 3/4.

Total newbie so don't have a personal preference and I have only ever used cheap highstreet cues. Thinking of buying a 'cheaper' handmade cue but not sure on 1piece or 3/4.

Really wanting to try a 1 piece but just can't seem to find any 'cheaper' ones although 3/4 are findable.

Comment

Working...
                              X