Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quality cues - help

Hi all

New to the forum,I am after a new hand spliced cue heard Mike Wooldridge cues are good for the money, someone has also suggested a Dave Coutts but i have not heard of him. Does anyone have any information on his cues?
    Or can anyone suggest anyone else??
    Thanks for your help.

Do a search on all the names of cuemakers you come up with and you'll find tons of information on all of them

Terry
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Hi Rich and welcome to the forum . We are lucky to have so many great cuemakers and are spoiled for choice .

I would go for any of the following . Trevor White , Mike Wooldridge , Robin Cook , Dave Coutts , Stamford , Tony Glover , Tony wilshaw , John Parris , Aurora , Northewest , Tony Ions , Craftsman , GBL , mastercraft , mastercue .

Pheraps missed one or two , there are also some new cuemakers on the forum who,s cues look really good .

Comment

Dave Coutts is a wonderful cue maker but I think his cues are a bit over priced now IMO. I had a cue off him about 2004/05 before he was well known. He makes cues the old fashioned way, hand planed from start to finish but you have to wait a fair amout of time for a cue from him due to the amount of cues he can make per year. I had a maple cue, Hendry style cue with thuya, maple and ebony butt. Cost me just over £200 and took about 4 months to make. Sadly sold it as I couldn't really adapt to maple but if I kept it I could have sold it for double that and more today!

If I got that cue from him today I reckon I'd be looking at £500+ so it just shows how much you pay once someone gains a better reputation. With the big name cue makers you are paying a premium for the reputation as much as the quality so its something to bear in mind. Many will tell you that Mastercraft and one or two others can make very good quality certainly up there in terms of quality with the very best for about half what you'd pay to others.

Comment

Do you have a budget in mind?

Perhaps that is more a determining factor of which cuemakers to shortlist

Comment

budget about £350 £400

Comment

Another avenue you can look into is what a trader, like ADR147 here on TSF has in stock.
              See his current thread (http://www.thesnookerforum.com/board...le-from/page31) and maybe ask him what he has in stock for that budget and also tell him roughly what specs you are after, ash/maple, length, ferrule, weight, etc
              I am sure he will have something for you to think about. :snooker:
              Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Dave Coutts is a top notch cue maker. He is more low profile and does not make that many cues, which is why you may not have heard of him. His work is top notch both in terms of craftsmanship and playability. With 400 GBP I think you can get a cue from him but may be not a Legend cue from Mike. Trevor White is also within your budget and is another top notch craftsman you may want to consider.
                Things are more expensive now (cost of wood, rent, living expenses) than a few years ago, plus he is more well known (due to his top craftsman, even without self promotion) and more busy than before (again demand buit up due to his quality) so it is understandable that he has to charge more than 200 GBP for a cue. He is running a business and has to pay his bills and make a living after all. I totally feel that he deserves every penny and more that he is charging though. I rate his cues along with all the first class cues on the market today such as black plate, Ultimate, Mike Wooldridge and so on. Just my opinion.:-)
                Last edited by poolqjunkie; 8 January 2012, 09:29 PM.
                www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

I would suggest emailing mastercraft with your spec and wood choice etc. Dont let the circa <£250 inc extentions put you off. Proper cues.
                  Unclevit C Brand - CueGuru Tip.

Comment

Originally Posted by Deepscrew View Post
                    I would suggest emailing mastercraft with your spec and wood choice etc. Dont let the circa <£250 inc extentions put you off. Proper cues.
                    or better still let me do it!
                    https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by Deepscrew View Post
                      I have to say this too. I had a cue just before Xmas and you know what the quality reminded me of? A brand new from Parris it was that good. Maybe I got lucky but I'd like to think that what I got was the normal standard of cues they are producing on a regular basis. Why pay upwards of £400 and possibly waiting 6 months+ when you can have a quality cue at a fraction of the price and in a fraction of the timescale!

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                        or better still let me do it!
                        yes or this!

Comment

Indeed ADR has got very nice selection of cues going there...!!
                          Winner of 2011 Masters Fantasy game......
                          Winner of 2011 World Championship Fantasy game.......

Comment

He has a deal with Mastercraft so discounts ahoy on whatever you like.

Comment

Sorry to hijack your thread rich, but ADR so you can get me a Mastercraft at discount? Here are my wishes: Ash/Ebony with a maple front splice and maple/ebony inlay, 17-18oz, stiff shaft with straight arrows on at least one side and straight as possible side grains, butt joint and 6" mini-butt, 9.5mm tip, 57.5" length, one piece no joint. Price including shipping to Vancouver, Canada? Look forward to a response or PM

Thanks!
                              Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
                              My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

Working...
                              X