Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to add splicings to a cue once it is finished and already being used?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to add splicings to a cue once it is finished and already being used?

Hello everyone

I am already using a plain ebony ash cue.
    Just wondering will it possible to add some splicings into the butt to make it stand out a bit?

if possible is there any cue maker who will do that for me?

Thanks

Would be worth having a word with Andy Travis on this forum, he would be able to advise you, and it would be a good job at a great price

Comment

any cue maker could do that for you. Its not really that different to having a cue lengthened. They can cut into the butt and add pretty much whatever you want, within reason though. Obviously the problem is that the cue may feel a little different and may mean the balance point changes, depending on the wood used so that may be one thing to consider.

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
        ...... the cue may feel a little different and may mean the balance point changes, depending on the wood used so that may be one thing to consider.
        cheers cueman, the butt of my cue is plain black ebony, i just want another 4 secondary ebony splices on top of thick veneer but i also want the butt to be slimmed down from 30mm to 28 mm as my hands aint that big and i love slim cues with slim butt.
        the balance point of my cue is 17inch from the butt.
        Do you rekon if i do get the splicings done and slim down the butt the balance point will shift backward?

Comment

Originally Posted by Sam-Romford View Post
          cheers cueman, the butt of my cue is plain black ebony, i just want another 4 secondary ebony splices on top of thick veneer but i also want the butt to be slimmed down from 30mm to 28 mm as my hands aint that big and i love slim cues with slim butt.
          the balance point of my cue is 17inch from the butt.
          Do you rekon if i do get the splicings done and slim down the butt the balance point will shift backward?
          Really depends on the weight of the wood being taken off and the weight of the new wood being put on. No way of knowing really but it should drastically change the balance point....I'd be tempted just to get it slimmed down and see how you go from there.
          Unclevit C Brand - CueGuru Tip.

Comment

Yeah as deepscrew says its depends on what kind of wood is used and obviously thinning down the butt will lose a little bit of weight, may alter the BP may an inch tops but that can be remedied if necessary but do you really want to go messing with things if the cue plays well at present?

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
              do you really want to go messing with things if the cue plays well at present?
              The cue at present is not being used, i have been using my brother in law's 16 years old Aeon cue, the butt was used few times in fights. but the shaft is superb. I have an unused Jhon parris ambassador, so i thought i should make all the changes i want before i start getting used to it.

Comment

here is what Andy Travis e mailed me

I can do all the work without altering weight/balance but i have no red veneer.
                Andy Travis

He must be a very good craftsman.

Comment

The cue at present is not being used, i have been using my brother in law's 16 years old Aeon cue, the butt was used few times in fights. but the shaft is superb. I have an unused Jhon parris ambassador, so i thought i should make all the changes i want before i start getting used to it.
                  Do you like the JP cue? As this is a JP cue, the second hand value will be high, right now some mad costs for his ultimate cues on ebay. If you going to get further splices on a JP cue, I would have it done by JP to keep the value.

Another option, you could sell the cue as it is and get a 8/12 splice cue from Andy Travis or other cue makers in his value.

That way you can have it customised exactly as you want it with the specs you want.

Comment

Yes Jaffa i like the shaft and its arrows, i havent switched to this from my current Aeon cue yet. the butt design is too simple.
                    All i want is 4 secondary ebony splicing on top of 4 veneers without altering the weight or balance point.
                    I would love it i can get it done from JP, otherwise i have to get it done by Andy Travis or someone else. But i would prefer a cue maker within greater london as this will save me postage because i can go and pick it up myself.

Comment

Yes Jaffa i like the shaft and its arrows, i havent switched to this from my current Aeon cue yet. the butt design is too simple.
                      All i want is 4 secondary ebony splicing on top of 4 veneers without altering the weight or balance point.
                      I would love it i can get it done from JP, otherwise i have to get it done by Andy Travis or someone else. But i would prefer a cue maker within greater london as this will save me postage because i can go and pick it up myself.
                      As previous people have said, any cuemaker can do this for you.

Comment

ime about to do it it to 1 of mine, were putting a butt joint in ,left it daughter knocked it over and cracked the birdseye front splice so going to take it off and do something different with the ebony butt so if i can do it all the others will be able to

Comment

Originally Posted by jim evans View Post
                          ime about to do it it to 1 of mine, were putting a butt joint in ,left it daughter knocked it over and cracked the birdseye front splice so going to take it off and do something different with the ebony butt so if i can do it all the others will be able to
                          I might be interested in that one if it turns out any good Jim Lol :snooker:
                          "You have to play the game like it means nothing, when in fact it means everything to you" Steve Davis.

Comment

Working...
                          X