Z-shaft for snooker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z-shaft for snooker

I have been using a modified Predator Z shaft for snooker (10.5mm tip) fro a couple of months now.
    I just love this cue, beats the heck out any of the ash cues I have owned. Almost zero cue ball deflection, making long balls much more consistently.
    Can't get the tip much smaller really as the shaft is hollow but once you get used to it it really is a great shaft. (there goes the warranty! )

Downside is that I struggle with long deep draw shots now and this use to be my forte. Not a shot used that often anyway. Overall the trade off is well worth the consistency it has brought to my game.
    I wish they would build a shaft with a 9 or 10 mm tip or a 3/4 cue with this shaft design.
    Just thought I would pass this on in case someone else is looking to try this approach.

I am thinking about buying a Z shaft next week with my Christmas money. I have better luck with the 11 mm tips or slightly larger. For some reason I feel I have more cue ball control. I am going to give it a try with the 11 3/4 tip to just to see how I like it. I have some friends that use a 13mm tip and have knocked in some half centuries. Those 13mm cues feel like a light pole to me. Btw, what butt end or combination should I purchase, as I am using a one piece cue now and will have to buy a butt end for the Z shaft.

Happy Holidays,

Trapper

Comment

I'm using a Predator SneakyPete 4 point butt. and it works just fine. I shot some once with a 12.5 just because I did not have my snooker cue with me and it's tough to spin the ball or even control it for that matter. I did however bash in a 67 with it But the 10.5 is way nicer.

Comment

The salesman told me the Z shaft comes with a 11 3/4 tip. Any larger than that would not feel right for me. I am looking forward to playing with one. Is the 11 3/4 what comes on the factory Z shaft.

Best regards,

Trapper

Comment

yes they come 11.75

http://www.predatorcues.com/predator...z_2_shaft.html

Comment

For Predator to create a smaller tip or even a 3/4 version would be impractical unless they ere to develop a snooker cue.

The reason being is that the joint on a Predator shaft is fitted the opposite way to standard snooker cues. I.e the pin is in the butt not the shaft.

Most players playing pool retro fit the shaft to their existing cue - if this was the case then you would get a lot of ugly snooker cues as they are designed differently.Gone would be the matching grain etc.

I think it would be great for them to develop a snooker cue but the problem lies with mass-market appeal. There are simply not enough players in the US market for them to warrant it. Yes maybe as a export model but the Z-Shaft took years and £millions to develop so would they spend the money - I doubt it.

Has someone not tried this type of thing with the Acuerate cues?
            Watch Exclusive Snooker Live & On Demand
            Freeview Snooker TV channel

Comment

I saw the acuerates and thought they were a bit pricy, not sure if the deflection is as low as Z2 as they are stiff ash. I also have the bonus of being able to swap my shaft and play pool without changing weight and balance.
              I know the market may be too small for pred but they already have the shaft developed, adding a snooker cue range would not be that much of a leap I don't think and if they caught on, who knows.

Anyway my game continues to improve with this cue, it's astounding the difference in long potting consistency. Using english take some relearning as normally you adjust for the swing of the cue ball over that distance but now the dam thing goes straight!

I have been videoing myself, had someone watch me and identify issues and made changes to try and improve, all with some success.
              This shaft may not be for everyone it's a learning curve for sure but it is the biggest improvement I have ever made to my game.

Comment

Slasher,

If you do not mind me asking, I would like to know who converted your z-shaft to 10.5.

Best regards,

Trapper

Comment

Me myself and my black n decker seriously though I been fixin my own cues for years so this was pretty easy. Just found a joint screw that fit and put in the drill in the vise and a few grades of sandpaper and some wax and she came out real nice.

Comment

I would just like to add, it is impossible to have zero deflection with side spin.

Comment

Working...
                    X