No announcement yet.

Mike Wooldridge - *NEW* 'BlackSpin' Ferrule System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I read earlier that Mike will do brass for you although he recommends the blackspin.

Comment

• Originally Posted by timcunnell View Post
      Sorry that this might've been asked already on this thread, but 105 pages!! I'm not sure I can trawl back through that lot!

Does anyone know if there is an option to order a MW cue without the blackspin ferrule? Looking on his website it doesn't look like it?

To be really honest, this would put me off buying a MW cue! Top players have come this far using ash/maple and brass. Maybe when players in the top 128 start using cues with different ferrule materials we might all see it differently. But as far as I am concerned, if it ain't broke....!

That said, I have every faith that Mike knows what he's doing. Nobody would doubt he abilities at making fine cues, but without the opportunity to at least try a cue with the black ferrule, who's to say for sure it would suit/improve their game. I don't like the look of a black ferrule personally. I am one of those guys who obsessively keeps the brass ferrule polished and looking its best. Not sure I am ready to sacrifice that for what might (or might not) be improved playing characteristics. Sounds like a gamble!
      With black spin ferrules and laminated cues what's going to be next I wonder

Comment

• don't forget laminated tips, and most butts are laminated too. . .

Comment

• Originally Posted by billabong View Post
          don't forget laminated tips, and most butts are laminated too. . .
          The laminated shaft thing is somewhat different as it can't be compared to anything made out of blocks of wood, or chunky splices and vaneers because it is pie laminated, not all in one direction. But yeah, I think plain ebony is probably the best idea, lots of glue layers won't increase feel. Tips? Lammys are crap full stop. Not one of them beats a hard elk or BDP. Pros of note don't use em. Ronnie ditched is years back. And they generate less spin because of less grip. Glue hitting layers hitting a ball, not a good idea.

Comment

• Originally Posted by billabong View Post
            don't forget laminated tips, and most butts are laminated too. . .
            The laminated shaft thing is somewhat different as it can't be compared to anything made out of blocks of wood, or chunky splices and vaneers (butt) because it is pie laminated, not all in one direction. But yeah, I think plain ebony is probably the best idea, lots of glue layers won't increase feel in the butt. Tips? Lammys are crap full stop. Not one of them beats a hard elk or BDP. Pros of note don't use em. Ronnie ditched his years back. And they generate less spin because of less grip. Glue layers hitting a ball, not a good idea. It's all a con to sell a tip for 5 times the dosh. The only winners are tip sellers. You've got Golferson hunting down used elks (one's hardened by players) from rack cues. Makes more sense than even a Kamui IME.
            Last edited by Master Blaster; 18 June 2015, 04:59 PM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Leo View Post
              With black spin ferrules and laminated cues what's going to be next I wonder
              always fancied a cue that could double as a light sabre

Comment

• Hi Mike,
                I’m thinking of buying a legend with Blackspin tip. If I want it changed back to brass is this easily done and would it affect the length of the cue etc?
                Thanks

Comment

• Originally Posted by Bucko70 View Post
                  Hi Mike,
                  I’m thinking of buying a legend with Blackspin tip. If I want it changed back to brass is this easily done and would it affect the length of the cue etc?
                  Thanks
                  I believe it would because IIRC the Black Spin has a part that "goes into the shaft", this part of the shaft would need to be removed - but then saying that, often some shaft is lost when fitting a brass ferrule anyway.
                  How much shaft I have no idea
                  Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• Thanks Dean. Has anyone got positive or negative feedback on using a BW tip and ferrule. I’m getting a MW legend but am reluctant to switch from what I know. Plus it’s too costly a cue to get wrong nowadays.

much appreciated

Comment

• I have only seen positive reports on the blackspin cues.
                      Of course some have said it took them a while to adjust but most average players probably wont notice much specifically because of the ferrule, only like getting used to a new cue
                      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• I prefer MW's BullsEye Ferrule over the black spin. The BullsEye is a brass ferrule with an inner core based on the innards of the black spin. Not a fan of a black coloured ferrule, like the traditional look of brass.

Comment

• Thanks Dean and Mike. I think I’ll go for the legend, 9.25mm tip, bullseye ferrule with a maple shaft.

be interested to hear people’s thoughts on maple v oak.

Comment

• DeanH - thanks

Comment

• ken147 - thanks - just noticed I have to put an @ before to mention both of you

Comment

Working...
                              X