No announcement yet.

Mike Wooldridge - *NEW* 'BlackSpin' Ferrule System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dont think its that easy think you have to have your cue adapted you dont just put on like a normal ferrul or tip

Comment

• Originally Posted by MikeWooldridge View Post
      tred, the important thing to note here is that the cues play and feel fantastic. this was imperative to me from the start.

i know all about making a good cue, and to be honest, i did not think it could be improved on. i was wrong.

many things introduced have been gimmicks which imo have not improved anything. they are simply that, gimmicks aimed at taking money from people who are looking for that 'magic' thing to help them improve.
      The problem is, it's not always possible to tell if something is a gimmick or really works (for you) until you try it. I guess that's the problem you're up against, although obviously because you've got a great track record people are at going to take you seriously. Perhaps the look of the black ferrule might put some of the traditionalists off (and might make some people think it is just a gimmick), but I think it looks good. Maybe a marmite thing?

You're right about the 'magic' x-factor - I think anyone who collects cues is probably in search of the 'magic' one, or the 'magic' component to improve their game. Personally, I find that if I only use one cue for a period of time my game and cue action adapt to it (even if it isn't the best quality cue). I think the difference with a great cue is that it takes less time to adjust (if the dimensions are ones you're used to). Obviously, having said that, even changing a tip can greatly alter any given cue's performance and reliability. So, am sure that using a different type of ferrule must have a similar impact.

Originally Posted by MikeWooldridge View Post
      there is no such thing of course, but i feel this is different. i did not expect such a difference in things like cue ball 'throw' and have never been particularly interested in it. a cue still has to be got used to and adjustments need to be made for shots regardless, so levels of 'throw' are irrelevant.

but when you get something with a hit that is really clean/crisp and just feels so right PLUS benefits of reduced throw then it's a no-brainer. it makes some shots a little easier and it definitely appears to supercharge shots with extreme side or deep screw etc..

it's a win win situation as far as i'm concerned.
      I'm convinced - am looking forward to your shop re-opening (although my bank balance isn't)!!

Comment

• Originally Posted by Tred View Post
        The problem is, it's not always possible to tell if something is a gimmick or really works (for you) until you try it. I guess that's the problem you're up against, although obviously because you've got a great track record people are at going to take you seriously. Perhaps the look of the black ferrule might put some of the traditionalists off (and might make some people think it is just a gimmick), but I think it looks good. Maybe a marmite thing?

You're right about the 'magic' x-factor - I think anyone who collects cues is probably in search of the 'magic' one, or the 'magic' component to improve their game. Personally, I find that if I only use one cue for a period of time my game and cue action adapt to it (even if it isn't the best quality cue). I think the difference with a great cue is that it takes less time to adjust (if the dimensions are ones you're used to). Obviously, having said that, even changing a tip can greatly alter any given cue's performance and reliability. So, am sure that using a different type of ferrule must have a similar impact.

I'm convinced - am looking forward to your shop re-opening (although my bank balance isn't)!!
        To some degree Tred, you are correct that a cue is just a cue and eventually, over time, it becomes like your arm and you start adjusting for how it plays. The key to remember, however, is to have a cue in your hand that is capable of playing all the range of shots that you require. A proper cue let's the player expand their total potential and skill in that it makes all shots available for the owner to master.

I'm also looking forward to hearing about Mike's ferrule tech and how it plays. Hopefully, in the next month or two, Mike can set me up with a proper Ash shaft for my 2-piece Tom Gauthier cue.
        Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
        My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

• For me and call me a sceptic if you will, this reminds me in a way of the talk when Acuerate came on the scene with their low throw deflection cues. Getting all technical and making claims that it does something that no other cues can etc.
          I just can't believe that a variation of a ferrule can really make such a massive impact as to increase the spin and with it less deflection than on a cue with a brass ferrule.

Now I don't want to **** on Mike's parade here, he is obviously marketing something and of course that is part and parcel of any business model and hope he has success with it. However I for one would have to have some scientific evidence of these claims to buy into this concept. If it can be proved that this cue can generate a certain percentage more spin then I think it will only ever be a case of it being all in the belief of the player. You tell someone something can do this or that and if they believe it they'll convince themselves that its true.

Comment

• Originally Posted by thelongbomber View Post
            To some degree Tred, you are correct that a cue is just a cue and eventually, over time, it becomes like your arm and you start adjusting for how it plays. The key to remember, however, is to have a cue in your hand that is capable of playing all the range of shots that you require. A proper cue let's the player expand their total potential and skill in that it makes all shots available for the owner to master.

I'm also looking forward to hearing about Mike's ferrule tech and how it plays. Hopefully, in the next month or two, Mike can set me up with a proper Ash shaft for my 2-piece Tom Gauthier cue.
            I disagree about the quality of the cue allowing a player to play all the shots - it's in the mind. A good player should be able to play all the shots possible with a rack cue and a good tip. The tip and person using it is where most of the control and shot capability comes from not the cue - just my opinion though!

I've always liked the sound of the 'Blackspin' tech from when I heard about. Tempted to get one of Mike's new cues with the new 'Blackspin' and F1 joint.

Comment

• (quote)by mike wooldridge
              lol. yes, of course i will only be using this. it is better.

that is my opinion of course, but i have the benefit of knowing what cues play like with basic brass ferrules compared to this new concept.

yourself, along with just about the entire snooker/pool playing population do not have that luxury.

so, i am well aware there will be many doubters. but the only question that really needs asking is - is it better?

the only way to know that is to try it. i'm sure it won't be long before most people know someone who has one, and can test the performance for themselves.

in the meantime, i believe in it 100%, so that's all customers will be getting from me from now on...
              The Cuefather.

Mike Wooldridge - *NEW* 'BlackSpin' Ferrule System
              Mike-It sounds a great idea. I was talking to a mate, who is an exceptionally good player,(pro) no names given, he tells me that it has to be passed by World Snooker, because they say it has to be a brass ferrell, is that right????..
              Last edited by choice; 19 April 2012, 09:01 PM. Reason: quote by mike???

Comment

• I really like the sound of this ferrule and am very interested in this thread but would like to point out the risk of violating forum rules regarding marketing like when an Accurest thread was deleted in the accessories forum.

Comment

• Originally Posted by cueman View Post
                  For me and call me a sceptic if you will
                  sceptic

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
                  this reminds me in a way of the talk when Acuerate came on the scene with their low throw deflection cues. Getting all technical and making claims that it does something that no other cues can etc.
                  it shouldn't. this is nothing like that. and i don't make cues like acuerate thank you very much...

I just can't believe that a variation of a ferrule can really make such a massive impact as to increase the spin and with it less deflection than on a cue with a brass ferrule.
                  think how i felt when i discovered it.

i've used brass ferrules all my life, and made more centuries than most of the members on this forum put together.

i know what a cue feels like to play with, and this surprised me more than you could possibly imagine.

However I for one would have to have some scientific evidence of these claims to buy into this concept. If it can be proved that this cue can generate a certain percentage more spin then I think it will only ever be a case of it being all in the belief of the player. You tell someone something can do this or that and if they believe it they'll convince themselves that its true.
                  whether you believe me or not does not concern me, but i don't need scientific experiments, or robot arms, to 'prove' anything to anyone.

besides which, you cannot quantify 'feel' and response. it is generated through the hand and arm and is 'known' by the player. it either 'feels' right or it doesn't.

contact is crisp and clean. shots feel great. simple.

the fact that there appears to be a much lower deflection on the cue ball is a secondary benefit, and not one i particularly wish to champion, but it is a benefit nevertheless.

i never mentioned this feature to ANY of the first few customers. in fact, some didn't even know they were getting a different ferrule.

THEY told ME about the the low deflection phenomenon after they got their cues and had a good play with them.

i personally think that is a very noteworthy fact.

check my web page:

http://www.handmadecues.com/cues/22-blackspin.htm

there are no 'claims' about low deflection or anything else outlandish. what you see is mostly about how this strengthens the whole ferrule area. which, imo, leads to improved transference of energies and therefore cue to cue ball reaction/feel.

so, i appreciate your scepticism, and i would not have believed it myself 6 months ago, but it does exactly what i said it does.

Originally Posted by choice View Post
                  Mike-It sounds a great idea. I was talking to a mate, who is an exceptionally good player,(pro) no names given, he tells me that it has to be passed by World Snooker, because they say it has to be a brass ferrell, is that right????..
                  lol. has your exceptionally good friend heard of kirk stevens?

a ferrule is there to help prevent the cue from splitting and help form a good base to stick a tip on. you don't even need a ferrule. it's just become the 'norm', but there are no hard and fast rules.

there are brass ones, steel ones, titanium ones, red black plastic/fibre ones, and many others no doubt.

kirk stevens made a 147 with a black plastic/fibre ferrule in 1984 at wembley in the benson and hedges masters.

if they were to introduce a new rule like that then they might as well say everyone has to start using only an ash cue, or everyone has to use only an elk master tip, or everyone has have the same butt size etc., etc..

each and every one of the above makes a difference to how the cue plays, so it would be ludicrous to attempt to now say brass ferrules are the only thing to use.

especially bearing in mind kirk stevens 147 that has remained official for nearly 30 years...
                  The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

• Originally Posted by limecc View Post
                    I really like the sound of this ferrule and am very interested in this thread but would like to point out the risk of violating forum rules regarding marketing like when an Accurest thread was deleted in the accessories forum.
                    erm...what rules and what thread is that you're talking about?
                    The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

• [QUOTE=MikeWooldridge;

*Originally Posted by choice *

lol. has your exceptionally good friend heard of kirk stevens? ([U]yes,L.O.L. he's of heard of kirk stevens....[/U])

a ferrule is there to help prevent the cue from splitting and help form a good base to stick a tip on. you don't even need a ferrule. it's just become the 'norm', but there are no hard and fast rules.(ok)

there are brass ones, steel ones, titanium ones, red black plastic/fibre ones, and many others no doubt.

kirk stevens made a 147 with a black plastic/fibre ferrule in 1984 at wembley in the benson and hedges masters.(that was in 1984)

if they were to introduce a new rule like that then they might as well say everyone has to start using only an ash cue, or everyone has to use only an elk master tip, or everyone has have the same butt size etc., etc..
                      (mike) ----THE CUEFATHER ----not beening funny i just asked you a question thats all
                      Name me ONE PROESSIONAL -who has a black plastic/fibre ferrule..(TODAY) not years ago.??
                      (I was told--black plastic/fibre ferrule(BANNED BY WORLD SNOOKER)--thats why i asked the QUESTION to the Cuefather?

each and every one of the above makes a difference to how the cue plays, so it would be ludicrous to attempt to now say brass ferrules are the only thing to use.(?????)

especially bearing in mind kirk stevens 147 that has remained official for nearly 30 years...(that was then)
                      Last edited by choice; 20 April 2012, 12:39 AM. Reason: quote--choice

Comment

• Originally Posted by MikeWooldridge View Post
                        erm...what rules and what thread is that you're talking about?
                        http://www.thesnookerforum.com/board...1145-accu-rest

Comment

• Mike, -only asked you a question, I am trying to help you?
                          maybe it will have to be sanctioned by World Snooker, the govenoring body....

Comment

• Originally Posted by choice View Post
                            Mike, -only asked you a question, I am trying to help you?
                            Its something I thought of too, especially if it can be proven to enhance the spin on the cueball. Didn't a certain pool cue manufacturer have to stop making a break cue because it used a technology that created more power to break open the balls? I know snooker is not the same governing body, but usually new concepts or adaptations on a cue would probably need to be verified by the WSA but I assume that would only apply to MT professionals or those playing in PTC's, Q-School etc. Mike need not worry though because I don't think there are any MT players using this anyway.

Comment

• Originally Posted by choice View Post
                              Mike, -only asked you a question, I am trying to help you?
                              Huh? I answered you.

There is only one rule as far as I know regarding cues:

A cue shall be not less than 3ft (914mm) in length and shall show no substantial departure from the traditional and generally accepted shape and form.

I have never heard of anyone saying a ferrule must be brass. It's just a material, anything can be used.

usually new concepts or adaptations on a cue would probably need to be verified by the WSA
                              Two words:

Acuerate (you remember them) - a move away from traditional form and thinking, but harmless enough not to need 'sanctions'

History - different ferrules and tips have been used for snooker for many years in the quest for different feel or reaction so the 'concept' of improving cue all reaction is not new and has never been questioned. If it were we would all still be playing with the other end of the stick as the game started out.
                              The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

• In another thread there was comments about a rubber/plastic "sleeve" (cannot remember the name of the accessory) that the player could put over the tip and ferrule for a shot when he required extra spin (from US pool).
                                One comment was that this accessory was "sanctioned" by World Snooker, and this was even on the manufacturer's website. This accessory is sanctioned by World Snooker but not mentioned in the rules.
                                So, if World Snooker have supposedly sanctioned an accessory that the player can consciously add to the cue as and when required, I don't think that they would have any problem at all with a new-type ferrule that is integral to the cue and the player cannot add it or remove it as per the shot at hand.
                                I also, what about those cues that have no ferrule? :snooker:
                                :devilish:
                                Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Working...
                                X