Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

John Parris Ultimate cue price increase!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by andy carson View Post
    so its 60 quid extra for a cue that has less work done to it???? genius
    Err more work in a one piece ???

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
      Err more work in a one piece ???
      If produced as a 3/4, in 2 pieces, but you wouldn't expect this to be the case with an ultimate would you? Surely it should be produced as a 1 piece then split dependent on the buyers preference?
      No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

Originally Posted by culraven View Post
        If produced as a 3/4, in 2 pieces, but you wouldn't expect this to be the case with an ultimate would you? Surely it should be produced as a 1 piece then split dependent on the buyers preference?
        I would say 3/4 Ultimate's are made in same way as every other maker, ie solid ebony (or whatever) butt
        Much more work making a one piece cue surely ??

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
          I would say 3/4 Ultimate's are made in same way as every other maker, ie solid ebony (or whatever) butt
          Much more work making a one piece cue surely ??
          I don't think it's more work, but certainly less room for error. I would expect any decent cue to be made from a full length piece of ash or maple, although the butt may look solid it will be 4 splices with the shaft running right through the core.
          No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

Originally Posted by culraven View Post
            I don't think it's more work, but certainly less room for error. I would expect any decent cue to be made from a full length piece of ash or maple, although the butt may look solid it will be 4 splices with the shaft running right through the core.
            I expect you are 100% wrong tho
            ;-)

Comment

JRC is right, all cue makers when making a 3/4 jointed cue will be selecting a piece of ash and putting the top splices on. Then depending on the length of where the joint will be positioned, a solid piece of ebony or rosewood will be turned and then splices added. The whole point of a 3/4 split cue is there is usually very little weight needed as the natural weight of the solid ebony butt gives the cue a natural weight and balance.

Comment

I too would think your 100% wrong on that one also as jrc as said.

It would be nice to think it had been produced like that but its far quicker to make a solid ebony butt. There are plenty of cue makers on here to prove who's right and wrong tho.
                "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
                  JRC is right, all cue makers when making a 3/4 jointed cue will be selecting a piece of ash and putting the top splices on. Then depending on the length of where the joint will be positioned, a solid piece of ebony or rosewood will be turned and then splices added. The whole point of a 3/4 split cue is there is usually very little weight needed as the natural weight of the solid ebony butt gives the cue a natural weight and balance.
                  Not so sure the solid ebony butt gives it a natural balance. The butt and Joint add more weight yes but many 3/4 cues that are split at 14" always seem butt heavy to me and the balance is all wrong. Perhaps that's why Mr P joins them at 16". If the cue was made as a one piece and cut after then it would have a much more natural balance.
                  "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." - Henry Ford

Comment

Would like to see a comparison with other cuemakers on their plain black ebony cue . Which is what i assume is the cheapest [ if you can call it that ] Ultimate

I.E To make it fair , a selected shaft from each cue maker . I am talking about Stamford , Trevor White , Mike Wooldridge etc
                    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Originally Posted by Maverick54 View Post
                      I too would think your 100% wrong on that one also as jrc as said.

It would be nice to think it had been produced like that but its far quicker to make a solid ebony butt. There are plenty of cue makers on here to prove who's right and wrong tho.
                      With Crispian's Certificate cues, there's no guessing if the butt is solid or not. Nice Cert showing wood involved in various stages of completion.

Comment

What a great looking shaft on that cue .

So Crispian makes a one piece cue then makes it into a 3/4 .
                        Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

I think the 3rd pic down shows him making a 3/4 shaft, then adding 2 x solid butts.

I like that you can make out the wood markings on the 3rd pic down, matching the pics of the finished cue. .

First pic shows 4 x bits of ebony.

2 x long for 2 x butts ( different weights ).

2 x short ( 1 for the mini butt, and 1 for the 3/4 shaft splices ).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I think way to many people are forgetting what makes a decent snooker cue and focusing solely on how the bloody shaft looks.

Comment

I think Mike Wooldridge make his 3/4 cues as 1 pieces, just going by pictures of his cues where you can see the square of the shaft on the butt with the four splices around it.

Comment

Here is a picture of what I mean, although I suppose the cue could of been a 1 piece and had the joint added later, although no mention of that by the seller.Wool.JPG

Comment

Working...
                                X