Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marco Fu's new cues

For those of you that are interested in Pro players snooker cue / specs :

Marco Fu was practising in the club the other night with a couple of new cues [ Not at the same time ! ]

They were made by Reg Wright of Hull and they were stunning . Amazing smoothness to them . The finish was up there with the best around in my opinion .

The weight and balance were perfect . Splices were also spot on .

He has made 2 one piece cues for him . Numbered 001 and 008 .

I preferred the feel of cue 001 . Seemed to have a little more weight at the butt .

Marco was not 100% sure but he said the specs are :

Maple one piece

18.3oz

57.5 " long

9.5mm tip

Both cues hand round butts

He wasn't sure of the tips either Elk or Blue diamond .

Said that i can take some pics but my camera phone is rubbish . I will try to get my camera next time and take a few pics .

He said that he will probably use one starting from next season . It was the 1st time he had used them and he was very impressed .
    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Hi Neil,

Just wondering why Marco is changing cue? It's quite a big step/change to take as he's been using his Deroo cue since his teen days in Canada? When I see him play on TV it seems his cue feels quite stiff and lacking in screw power.

Comment

He said something about it getting a bit too old Ken .

Is the screw power down to his cueing though ? The way he does not do any feathering of the cue when he addresses the cue ball .

Comment

You have a point but his cue does seem stiff so getting the neccessary reaction takes more effort. He doesn't seem to have a problem with follow through though.

Comment

Maybe these have a bit less stiffness to them . He doesn't appear to hit the ball hard at all . Must time it very well

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
            He said something about it getting a bit too old Ken .

Is the screw power down to his cueing though ? The way he does not do any feathering of the cue when he addresses the cue ball .
            Without doubt his cueing hampers his ability to develop a lot of cue power, particularly screw shots. Its mainly his lack of backswing. Its a very compact cue action, good for control when breakbuilding in an around the pink and black end but when he needs to play a power shot he does seem to lack that option. You very rarely see him open up the pack from the black and screw into the reds.

There is no price on the wright cues site, I'm sure there was the last time I looked on there, although that was probably 6 months or so ago. Love to see one in the flesh, don't think any member on here has owned one or showed pics of and you don't see them on Ebay either.

Comment

I thought Reg was on here . Seem to recall seeing a cue before .

Comment

Jaffa Johnston had a Wright Cue a couple of years ago, I didn't see it in the flesh but the pics he sent me showed a very well made cue. He rated it highly but then again the finest cues we ever possessed are always the ones we are trying to sell
                On Cue Facebook Page
                Stuart Graham Coaching Website - On a break until March 2015
                Ton Praram Cues UK Price List

Comment

I didn't realize Marco played with a maple cue, though don't make an effort to watch him often, out of interest do you what other players in the top 32 play with maple?
                  Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

Stephen McGuire is one i think

Comment

Peter Ebdon does i think

Comment

Stephen Maguire, Ebdo did but changed to his stamford ash and Neil robertson. Anymore anyone knows? :snooker:
                        "You have to play the game like it means nothing, when in fact it means everything to you" Steve Davis.

Comment

Cheers guys Nice to know, i find it strange the ratio of maple vs ash in regards with ash being dominantly the more popular choice in snooker...
                          Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

Stephen Lee

Comment

Maguire, Lee, Fu & Hendry use maple.
                              I am sure Robertson's JPU is ash and that his previous was ash as well.
                              Ebdon's previous Riley Duffin was a maple but as mentioned now using a Stamford ash.
                              I have heard good things about Reg Wright in Hull, quotes that I have had had/seen are on the high side compared to the market.
                              Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Working...
                              X