Identify if it's fake John Parris

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identify if it's fake John Parris

Anyone can make sure if the cue on the left is a fake or real John Parris Classic cue?

I will stick my neck out and say fake !!
    Badges are usually fitted into butt better than that, plus are leather pads usually black on Parris cues ???
    Saying that, why do YOU doubt it ???

Comment

Looks fine to me, parris leather pads are brown like that, used to have one. The badge on right looks worse than that one

Comment

It was black on one i had
        Looks fine the badge, but the way it's fitted looks wrong

Comment

As someone who has fitted badges for years I find it very difficult to continually do it at a high standard,I have quite a few cues waiting for a new splice due to making a mess of fitting the badge.To me the worst one is the one in the middle which is my common mistake as it is off centre.

Comment

Not based on that photo alone, splicing and joints would shed more light. The cue on the right possibly shows signs of the badge being refitted and original recess was definitely done using different tooling to the other two
            On Cue Facebook Page
            Stuart Graham Coaching Website - On a break until March 2015
            Ton Praram Cues UK Price List

Comment

The cue on the left does look a bit ropey, but that in itself is maybe not an exact indication that it's a fake.

Having said that, the hole does appear to be a fair bit larger than the badge (which should be 16mm) and the lettering appears to be patchy too, and nowhere near as clean as the other two cues badges are. Look closely at the ragged edges of the "H and N" of John and also the "A and both R's" of Parris. They look quite poorly finished and far less clean the those of the other cues.

The cue in the middle doesn't have an offcentre badge, it's just that the cue is leaning slightly to the left as we look at it, which can be seen by the green veneer showing on the right side of the flat where the name badge is.

Edit...

Also, all the Parris cues I've ever seen with leather butt pads have all had them in a natural colour, just like this cue. Not seen one done in black, but it's only leather afterall, so maybe not that significant a detail.

Cue on the right looks to have a spiral type base joint fitted, and definitely not a Parris joint, like the centre cue appears to have.
              Last edited by trevs1; 3 January 2013, 11:26 PM.

Comment

Mine was black, and i thought the badge was more flush lol
                Last edited by jrc750; 3 January 2013, 11:39 PM.

Comment

Thank you very much for inputs... I will try to get more picture.
                  Actually, The cue that i wanted to find out is the cue on the left. However, the center cue i can confirm it's an original.

Comment

The Edging around the Badge on the Cue on Far Left is Raised if you look carefully which doesnt normally come on Parris Cues.

Comment

I say fake. The badges look naff to me...
                      JP Majestic
                      3/4
                      57"
                      17oz
                      9.5mm Elk

Comment

More pictures to judge:

Comment

the one on the right is not a parris fitted butt joint imho, the opne on the left i have seen that type face before a few times.
                          https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Let's have the reason for the thread and some background please.

Do you own the cue or are you thinking of buying it?

What do you know or what have you been told?

What are the specs?

If for example this cue is pretty standard specs and is going to cost you £150+ then my advice is don't bother as it isn't worth the risk and they are common enough cues to find a genuine one in standard specs for £200-£300. If it is yours and you have doubts and you money is more important to you than morales then whack it on ebay, take a price that leaves you happy and move on a bit more worldly and wise.
                            On Cue Facebook Page
                            Stuart Graham Coaching Website - On a break until March 2015
                            Ton Praram Cues UK Price List

Comment

Sorry for the lack for background.

Well this isn't my cue. The cue on the right had problems with the joint thus was "repaired" with another type of joint.

This particular cue was brought from a reputable shop in my area long ago and the owner kept it for quite long and did not played with it for almost a year plus.

Now he wanted to sell it through the boss at my local club and one of the regulars there is interested.

Thus I'm helping out in return that I could learn something out of it.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X