No announcement yet.

Question for the cue makers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is the finished article, im hoping to receive it on tuesday as geoff large will be fitting a new cloth on my favourite table, at my local club on tuesday morning.
    The cue looks amazing I love the malee burr and thick maple veneer and the 9 dark clear chevrons look perfect. Dave is a master craftsman thats for sure:

Last edited by rob s; 4 August 2013, 01:00 PM.
    77 in a match, 97 in a line up

Comment

That looks the nuts..
      Probably wasn't necessary but the photo enhanced colors really make it trippy to look at too
      Last edited by j6uk; 4 August 2013, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Rob.. You have any other shaft blanks???

Comment

Very nice Rob.....lets us know how she plays .
          Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
            Very nice Rob.....lets us know how she plays .
            Will do Neil, it will have to play very well to top my 1 piece Trevor white

Comment

That is amazing

Comment

question to dave cutts.. please explain the perfect pencil lines around the shaft in post 35 these have been done on a lathe but you always say you dont have one

Comment

I hope that these pictures show how i mark the cue for splicing, the jig is one i made 25 years ago to get over the problem of not only marking out for the splices but also for marking out for the ferrule as originally used to cut these with a junior hacksaw and file when i first started making cues.

Incidentally the bench you see or rather the cast iron legs you see are from the 19th century and originally belonged to my great grandad who was a joiner, wheel wright, undertaker and blacksmith. He later passed the business onto my grandad who inspired me from a very early age and taught me many things before he died when i was 15, from there i excelled in joinery passing both school exams and city and guilds with distinction and also winning the merlane trophy on the way which is a competition where the best pupils from colleges in the east midlands compete from a drawing to make a set piece and you are judged on how you work as well as the finished artical. So you see i have a very solid grounding and a desire to do things traditionally which does take more time but the end result is better as with all handmade things than machine made things.

I do concede that you do need a lathe for joints and drilling out for the weight which i go to Robin Cook for as i dont posess a lathe, but that being said there are still cues of mine about were i did this by hand too.

Comment

Some great pictures on this thread Dave. Hope we see other cue makers do similar, nice to see what goes in to making our snooker cues.

Comment

I agree ....i find it fascinating . Would love to be able to spend a couple of weeks' watching a cue maker at work .
                      Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
                        I agree ....i find it fascinating . Would love to be able to spend a couple of weeks' watching a cue maker at work .
                        why dont you ask? i see a market here,allthough they would be extremely wary of wannabee cue makers

Comment

A great 'storybook', on the birth of a cue.

Comment

Hows the cue playing??

Comment

Originally Posted by jono* View Post
                              Hows the cue playing??
                              Amazing, just as good as it looks. Need to decide what is my playing cue for this coming season the Dave coutts cue or the Trevor white cue then I will possibly sell the other 1 so I don't keep swapping if I play badly

Comment

Originally Posted by rob s View Post
                                Amazing, just as good as it looks. Need to decide what is my playing cue for this coming season the Dave coutts cue or the Trevor white cue then I will possibly sell the other 1 so I don't keep swapping if I play badly
                                If it's playing as good as it looks then I doubt you'd find a cue as good as it! Looks stunning mate :snooker:
                                "You have to play the game like it means nothing, when in fact it means everything to you" Steve Davis.

Comment

Working...
                                X