looking for a decent cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by sanman View Post
    2 or 3 inches I would agree. Approximately 10 inches extending with just an 18 inch splice that I would disagree with. Point I am making us its not possible to extend a 48 inch ash shaft to 58 inches with 4 splices unless you cut the splice wood in special ways but with the typical wedge shape splices I dont see how this is possible without introducing serious structural faults especially around the 48 inch mark

As i pointed out im pretty sure it is closer to 52" shafts than 48" shafts ? next time i splice one i will take a picture and add it up for you as for the splices they are not planed on in the usual straight line as with traditional planing, they are put on in a convexed way so that they can use thinner pieces of ebony i geuss ?

as stated previously - this does not affect the cues ! the cues are of a verry high standard, it is just the way that they are done, reasons can only be geussed but as this is a massive market i can only assume it is cost or speed ?

Comment

stripy ebony

Here are a few of my customised cues ready to work on, the ebony on these is a stripy asian ebony
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally Posted by crispian jones View Post
        Here are a few of my customised cues ready to work on, the ebony on these is a stripy asian ebony
        Look good them !!

Comment

Originally Posted by sanman View Post
          Please explain how a simple plain butt cue with 4 splices is made with a 48 inch ash lenght
          Here you go sanman, i cant splice the cue any deeper as it is to order but if you look closely at the picture this is a maple stripy ebony cue ( one of my thai customised blanks) if you notice the bottom of the cue it is ash inside where
          it has been extended with a spigot joint !

i think this is what steve is getting at
          Attached Files

Comment

Crispian, this could be a stupid question but i'll take the risk. What is a spigot joint, I've only heard of them for joining piping together.

As it is the construction doesn't look any different to normal splicing of a cue

Comment

i am trying to explain that the maple shaft somehow inside the cue (under the splices) turns in to ash !
              either its a magic tree or the shafts as sugested are infact extended ?

Comment

Originally Posted by crispian jones View Post
                i am trying to explain that the maple shaft somehow inside the cue (under the splices) turns in to ash !
                either its a magic tree or the shafts as sugested are infact extended ?
                Apologies, missed the fact that the shaft was maple

Comment

Originally Posted by RogiBear View Post
                  Apologies, missed the fact that the shaft was maple
                  easily done mate, crap picture off my phone dose not help

Comment

If you haven't had a cue made yet, try us at B & W Billiiards. If not too far from us, you can come in and take a look at some of our cues and have a chat to one of our cuemakers. www.bandwbilliards.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                    X