No announcement yet.

This cue making lark ain't easy - my attempts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yes - i would do it a few dozen times with cheaper woods first, although in amboyna cracks you can't predict just appear from nowhere!
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
      yes - i would do it a few dozen times with cheaper woods first, although in amboyna cracks you can't predict just appear from nowhere!
      So would you say it's similar to thuya in that respect, as I've just had a play with that and it didn't go too shabby (so far).

Comment

worse, more like snakewood.

Comment

Originally Posted by RogiBear View Post
          sure, I take it you mean from a planing pov and tear out? I have a low angle jack with high angle blade which I was hoping would do the trick.
          Yes that should work ok. Amboyna works well for a burr. Also, it's quite stable once relatively well dried too, so not as unpredictable as many other burr timbers, which tend to crack and show defects all over the place. The fact that it's beautiful, dries well, works well and takes a fabulous finish, are reasons why it costs so much.

Comment

Originally Posted by trevs1 View Post
            Yes that should work ok. Amboyna works well for a burr. Also, it's quite stable once relatively well dried too, so not as unpredictable as many other burr timbers, which tend to crack and show defects all over the place. The fact that it's beautiful, dries well, works well and takes a fabulous finish, are reasons why it costs so much.
            it is the prettiest i think! maybe my mate trevor could put some on a cue for me!

Comment

ha...i like it.

maybe he could yes.

Comment

If Rogibear bought that stuff from the people I'm thinking of in Hawaii, he may have had to sell a kidney to pay for it.

Comment

If Rogibear bought that stuff from the people I'm thinking of in Hawaii, he may have had to sell a kidney to pay for it.
                  at least he has not been waiting 6 years though eh :P

Comment

I will have a ganda in next few days, hopefully with the correct setup it should go ok.

haha it sounds like it could be them, tbh I was fairly happy with the price I paid and the quality looks good to me. It ended up being cheaper than kirk and better imo.

Comment

its brilliant stuff you can get from hawaii,had a few lumps from there expensive but top class stuff

Comment

Had a play with some thuya the other day. Picked up an old butterfly spliced cue with a beautifully golden shaft but had quite a bit of damage, which was repaired, refinished and re-weighted. Added a front splice of thuya to realign the flat with the arrows. Spec 57" 9mm tip 30mm butt & 17 oz. Will be my pool cue for the next few weeks until I get bored.

Comment

Nice splice, but just looks wrong all twisted like that

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                            Nice splice, but just looks wrong all twisted like that
                            I hear what you're saying but I thought it was the lesser of the two evils.

Comment

Apart from it being offset it looks very nice , sure you,ll master it soon muck .

Comment

Eureka moment!!!

Very very pleased!!! So cue number 5 and the eureka moment has finally come. I have made a cue I'm happy enough with to badge. The main splices are even and the overall finish I'm happy with.

Spec: 58" long, 9.5mm tip, 30mm butt, 18.5 oz, 18.5"main ebony splices, further splices of thuya burr and ebony. BP 18", butt joint fitted.

Please feel free to leave any comments.

Last edited by RogiBear; 25 May 2015, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X