This cue making lark ain't easy - my attempts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This cue making lark ain't easy - my attempts

So I thought I would create a thread which I could use to update you all on the cue making progress.

First, I thought I would say a bit about myself and why I started. I'm a 21 year old post graduate Engineering student. So apparently I can design and make technical things, so I thought I'd find out whether it extended to cues. Although snooker is a relatively new game to me by comparison to many on here, I had always had an interest in the cues. About 12 months ago I decided I would find out how a genuine handmade cue was constructed. So I thought the best way to find out was to take one apart. I bought an old hand spliced cue off ebay and proceeded to cut and plane it apart. Being the geek I am, I took various measurements and angles etc and have kept them safe. I bought a couple of ash planks and had them cut into blanks, left them settle and gradually planed them round, before having them tapered (oversize). And here I am now just completed my 4th cue.

Spec - 57" 30mm and currently 16.25 oz. Macassar ebony with four 4 olivewood lower splices. Best cue by far splices pretty much all match up, but still not 100% perfect. Made for a friend who wanted the flat to be to the left when the arrows are on top. Pics below and as usual I appreciate any comments.

Look good to me but I've never seen a shaft with so many chevrons. Must have come right from the centre of the tree.

Terry
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Must give you great satisfaction to be able to that . Great for only your 4th cue .
      Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
        Look good to me but I've never seen a shaft with so many chevrons. Must have come right from the centre of the tree.

Terry
        Thanks. I couldn't be sure but it's possible. The shaft that came out of the blank next to this had even more. Too many to have any aesthetic appeal imo.
        Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
        Must give you great satisfaction to be able to that . Great for only your 4th cue .
        Cheers, yh is does. I feel a sense of accomplishment especially when the current main discussion topic on the forum is about thai cues

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post

Terry
          Is that an imported shaft from Thailand?

( just sayin' ) :P

Comment

its pretty ugly, but maybe that's what you were going for, the rustic look.
            It can't be easy though, and i congratulate anyone who can make a cue.
            Whats the balance point at the moment?

Comment

Originally Posted by Inoffthered View Post

Maybe plane it and find out . . ..

My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
              I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Originally Posted by Inoffthered View Post

Definitely not!!!!! Full length shaft that made from a 1.5x1.5x60 blank

Comment

Originally Posted by matt926_uk View Post
                  its pretty ugly, but maybe that's what you were going for, the rustic look.
                  It can't be easy though, and i congratulate anyone who can make a cue.
                  Whats the balance point at the moment?
                  What's rustic about it?

Bp around 19"

Comment

I think he was only joking (given the other thread on here - now closed by Ferret).

Good on you for making your own cues!

My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.

Comment

Originally Posted by mythman69 View Post
                      I think he was only joking (given the other thread on here - now closed by Ferret).

Good on you for making your own cues!

He gave that impression but wanted to confirm just incase someone didn't read the first paragraph

Comment

Originally Posted by RogiBear View Post
                        He gave that impression but wanted to confirm just incase someone didn't read the first paragraph
                        No problem, I just think everyone is a bit (maybe VERY) sensitive about the whole issue of HAND MADE cues. Hopefully there will be some outcome that can reassure / resolve this issue once and for all. Personally. I will not be buying any new cues until I know more about what is going on. This means I can focus on buying antique cues for a bit.

The advantage of making your own cue is you know exactly how you made it! Good one you!

I wish I could make my own cue. Maybe I should have taken woodwork rather than art classes at school.

Comment

No problem, I just think everyone is a bit (maybe VERY) sensitive about the whole issue of HAND MADE cues. Hopefully there will be some outcome that can reassure / resolve this issue once and for all. Personally. I will not be buying any new cues until I know more about what is going on. This means I can focus on buying antique cues for a bit.

The advantage of making your own cue is you know exactly how you made it! Good one you!

I wish I could make my own cue. Maybe I should have taken woodwork rather than art classes at school.

Couldn't agree more. I currently have an order placed for one with Jason but might be having thoughts.

Anyway there's no way anyone could mistake mine for a Thai cue, mine simply aren't 'perfect' enough yet.

I took both art and woodwork at school

Comment

How long does it take you to make each cue? Are you getting faster?

Comment

How long does it take you to make each cue? Are you getting faster?

It takes me about 1.5hours per pair of splices so depends on how many are on the cue. The finishing and tapering takes about 3 hours. But yes definitely getting faster

Obvs there's curing time for the glues as well

Comment

Working...
                              X