Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any other wax to replace beewax? Olive oil replace Linseed oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mike ya could have warned me boiled linseed bloody stinks lol

Comment

Originally Posted by Dave Walton View Post
      Linseed oil may also be called flax or flaxseed oil
      Flaxseed oil? Isn't that a salad dressing? It can double up as a cue finish?
      When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD!!

Comment

Originally Posted by damienlch View Post
        Linseed oil may also be called flax or flaxseed oil
        Flaxseed oil? Isn't that a salad dressing? It can double up as a cue finish?
        No just another name sometimes given to linseed oil in other parts of the world

Comment

how do you apply oil a cue?

Comment

Kitchen towel or old t-shirt type material !! ( do not soak in oil ) apply liberally , leave overnight and re-apply if necessary ? Then just buff PS it dries Matt if you are using boiled linseed oil !!

Comment

Kitchen towel or lint free cloth, wipe on with the grain, leave for between 10 and 30 mins to soak in then wipe off the excess oil, leave for 24-48hrs then buff with a lint free cloth. If you're applying multiple coats then lightly sand with 1200 grit or higher or 0000 grade wire wool then wipe with a lint free cloth to remove dust and then apply the next coat of oil. Boiled Linseed oil gives a light gloss finish not matt, and it will darken the wood slightly more than raw Linseed.

Comment

I said PS it dries Matt !! after I said Buff

Comment

I use tru oil. It gives a very good finish. Polishes the butt to an amazing shine.

Comment

My mate uses KFC oil . . . simply eat a bucket of chicken and then play snooker with someone else's favourite cue.

My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
                    I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Originally Posted by tomeestrings View Post
                      I said PS it dries Matt !! after I said Buff
                      Unless Matt is a person you're adressing? You're not making any sense!

Comment

OK I understand that you require a tutorial ?? Is that right ??
                        Linseed dries matt (without any shine ) If you put lots on any surface it will look very shiny !! Much like if you threw lots of water on a surface !! At some point it will dry and will cease to give any reflection .. Are you still with me or has it become too complex ??? Boiled linseed dries very matt with no shine unless you decide to Buff it with all your might .. pretty much anything can be made to shine if you buff it enough !! Some folk call it ; Elbow grease !!! Dave , I can assure you .. some cues are oil finished and if they do appear shiny it is because they have been finished using the finest sanding possible and the oil simply protects the finish lol PS don't try and tell me you are some kind of fine finisher as I have been a French polisher for 40 yrs Linseed oil is only used to lubricate !! Cuemakers have adopted it because it feeds the wood and gives it a nice rich colour plus eventually goes hard but remains MATT your body oils may at some point make a cue look shiny ! Sometimes known as Patina .. If I could replicate patina I would be a millionaire .. Please don't tell me again that I do not know what I am talking about ..

Comment

Apply oil and buff but for expert help ask Dave (swims like a fish)

Comment

Linseed dries matt (without any shine ) If you put lots on any surface it will look very shiny !! Much like if you threw lots of water on a surface !! At some point it will dry and will cease to give any reflection .. Are you still with me or has it become too complex ??? Boiled linseed dries very matt with no shine unless you decide to Buff it with all your might .. pretty much anything can be made to shine if you buff it enough !! Some folk call it ; Elbow grease !!! Dave , I can assure you .. some cues are oil finished and if they do appear shiny it is because they have been finished using the finest sanding possible and the oil simply protects the finish lol PS don't try and tell me you are some kind of fine finisher as I have been a French polisher for 40 yrs Linseed oil is only used to lubricate !! Cuemakers have adopted it because it feeds the wood and gives it a nice rich colour plus eventually goes hard but remains MATT your body oils may at some point make a cue look shiny ! Sometimes known as Patina .. If I could replicate patina I would be a millionaire .. Please don't tell me again that I do not know what I am talking about ..
                            Don't need any tutorial, linseed does not dry matt it dries gloss, tung oil dries matt, would you like to point out where I've said you don't know what you're talking about other than the next line?? You don't know what your on about, patina relates to colour not shine for a start, none of your posts make any sense whatsoever. "the oil protects the finish" the oil is the finish on a cue. For someone who claims to be an expert you should know you shouldn't liberally coat a cue in oil and leave it overnight, not unless you want a sticky mess that is!!
                            "swims like a fish" what the f**k is that meant to mean?

Comment

tomeestrings, i'm not sure what i stumbled on here but your post seems unnecessarily aggressive.

but it appears to have been posted just after the pubs kick out, so that might explain it...

For someone who claims to be an expert you should know you shouldn't liberally coat a cue in oil and leave it overnight, not unless you want a sticky mess that is!!
                              100% correct.

there should be no excess oil left on a cue to dry overnight.

i've done that enough times myself to confirm it is a very, very bad idea...

"swims like a fish" what the f**k is that meant to mean?
                              coincidence. that's exactly what i said out loud to myself when i read it...
                              The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

well that got out of hand quickly even for the snooker forum! - i do have some of mikes oil i just don't put it on ebay because it is expensive to post these days. actually i redid an oak desk in it yesterday which is an expensive way to do it but I could not face going out in the cold to the workshop!
                                https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Working...
                                X