Jim Black Cues - The Northy part of Ireland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated

Correct Wayne, it's Pale Moon Ebony from Laos.

Comment

Love a round butt . Cue looks stunning . Great work Jim .

Do you do this as a hobby ? As i seen you say that you have another job .
      Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
        Love a round butt . Cue looks stunning . Great work Jim .

Do you do this as a hobby ? As i seen you say that you have another job .
        Yea just a hobby at the minute Neil ... still got a day job that needs doing, I'm happy to slowly progress the cue building over time, see what happens, keep it not too pressured lol.

Comment

Well if you don't want pressure .......you had better not put up more pics of yours cues !

Sorely tempted !!!
          Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

As the Monty Python team would say "and now for something completely different"

Just finished this custom build, it's was the customer's preference, he wanted a purpleheart shaft ... I put it off for as long as I could, I was not looking forward to making it I can tell you but it finished well and plays very well for a non-standard shaft selection, I'm surprised at the amount of spring in the shaft and getting plenty of action in the white.

The Purpleheart came from a 20+ year old plank, very stable and straight, the big downside when building it was tapering the shaft, nightmare doesn't even come into it ... although dead straight it has inter-locking grain, argh!
            I could only hand plane so far then sanding block for the rest ... I've now got a right forearm like Popeye haha.
            I reckon it took me twice as long to build this one because of the shaft

Anyways, job done, very striking appearance but tricky to photograph.

Glad he didn't want two of them !!!

Comment

It does look good . . . maybe I will order one too
              My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
              I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Very nice sir, I'll take one. .

Comment

Looks like a cue dracula would use! Fantastic and unique looking piece of work, well done mate!

Comment

Ermmmmm, I just don't know what to say! So I'll leave it at that.

Comment

Personally not my cup of tea. IMHO a cue should look like a cue. can't takeaway the effort and work you have put in though.

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
                        Ermmmmm, I just don't know what to say! So I'll leave it at that.
                        +1 ............

Comment

Jim,

Nice workmanship but I'll stick with my order. By the way, how is your schedule shaping up for my order?

Cheers, Wayne G.
                          The bitter taste of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Comment

Thanks for the comments guys ... i agree with what everyone says and it's certainly not a cue I'd want to build again in a hurry, it really was a pain to taper the shaft and although Purpleheart isn't an oily wood it can clog paper quickly, even a rough grit. Being a hardwood it finishes really nice but I can't help feeling it's more more of an ornament cue even though it plays really well.

The customer has a thing about purpleheart though ... !

Hey Wayne, still on target even though this cue took way longer than expected.

Comment

I quite like it, its different to say the least and a brave choice of woods.

Comment

Yes every one likes different thinks and Jim's work is first class though

Comment

Working...
                                X