No announcement yet.

Testing two new cues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In order to help to offer an opinion worth something to you....

How long have you been playing?

What is your highest break?

What sort of range of breaks would you expect yourself to make over say half a dozen frames, given decent chances?..... i.e...

None above 30.? - A few between 30 to 60.? - A few between 50 to 80.?

This helps to determine how proficient you are at playing, and this is relevant. Unless you are at or above a certain level of proficiency, it will be difficult for you to know what the cue is actually doing or giving you in performance terms. You will of course be able to determine which feels most comfortable, but that's more personal preference to a shape, size and weight of cue.

Generally speaking, an extremely competent player would know whether a cue is doing what they ask of it within a dozen shots, although it does take a little more time to become fully accustomed to it. Cues which do not perform well are indentifiable straight away and can be pretty much discounted within five mintues. Conversely, a fabulous cue is obviously impressive from the off, and, the way the cue behaves in response to the command given to it will be exactly, or even better than the player would have predicated for a given delivery, on a given shot.

Of course, as I have already mentioned, unless a player is of a certain level of proficiency at playing, these finer points will just not be spotted.
    Last edited by trevs1; 7 December 2013, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
      Under 16 is a bit on the butt heavy side for me. I'd bet the other cue is probably nearer 17 which tends to be about right. If the feel on the bridge hand is a bit light then you won't feel comfortable especially bridging off the cushion. Have you actually played with these cues yet or is this just a reaction to holding them and what it feels like?
      Not played yet going out tomoz to play

Comment

Originally Posted by trevs1 View Post
        In order to help to offer an opinion worth something to you....

How long have you been playing?

What is your highest break?

What sort of range of breaks would you expect yourself to make over say half a dozen frames, given decent chances?..... i.e...

None above 30.? - A few between 30 to 60.? - A few between 50 to 80.?

This helps to determine how proficient you are at playing, and this is relevant. Unless you are at or above a certain level of proficiency, it will be difficult for you to know what the cue is actually doing or giving you in performance terms. You will of course be able to determine which feels most comfortable, but that's more personal preference to a shape, size and weight of cue.

Generally speaking, an extremely competent player would know whether a cue is doing what they ask of it within a dozen shots, although it does take a little more time to become fully accustomed to it. Cues which do not perform well are indentifiable straight away and can be pretty much discounted within five mintues. Conversely, a fabulous cue is obviously impressive from the off, and, the way the cue behaves in response to the command given to it will be exactly, or even better than the player would have predicated for a given delivery, on a given shot.

Of course, as I have already mentioned, unless a player is of a certain level of proficiency at playing, these finer points will just not be spotted.
        Not a High level given chances under 30 break mate so as u say cue in the right hands would tell the story

Comment

Ah yes, just seen your Sig at the bottom of your posts Stevie, so have more idea of where your level is at now, sorry.

For you, much like for many other players, I'd say the most important thing in a cue is comfort, both in terms of shape (thickness throughout the cue's length) and weight (overall weight and where that weight feels as though it sits when you are cueing).

Apart from that, you will probably notice which feels better on the contact (striking the ball), and this can be due to two factors....

1...the cue itself.
          2...the tip on it.

If both cues feel reasonably good on the contact, then that's good, as you will be more able to decide which feels better to you when using it. Sometimes it might be the case that there is little to choose, and both cues may well be very nice and pretty reliable. On the flipside, neither may feel so great, in which case, you have a more difficult job. At the end of it all, it's for you to know how you feel when using them, and, as you are clearly of limited experience / proficiency, it's not going to be something that you will be able to critique exactly, so there's little point in getting overly concerned about that.

The main thing is to try them, get a feeling within yourself for one if possible, and enjoy using it. Hopefully from there, improvements will come along and you will continue to enjoy playing.

Good luck with it.

Comment

Originally Posted by trevs1 View Post
            Ah yes, just seen your Sig at the bottom of your posts Stevie, so have more idea of where your level is at now, sorry.

For you, much like for many other players, I'd say the most important thing in a cue is comfort, both in terms of shape (thickness throughout the cue's length) and weight (overall weight and where that weight feels as though it sits when you are cueing).

Apart from that, you will probably notice which feels better on the contact (striking the ball), and this can be due to two factors....

1...the cue itself.
            2...the tip on it.

If both cues feel reasonably good on the contact, then that's good, as you will be more able to decide which feels better to you when using it. Sometimes it might be the case that there is little to choose, and both cues may well be very nice and pretty reliable. On the flipside, neither may feel so great, in which case, you have a more difficult job. At the end of it all, it's for you to know how you feel when using them, and, as you are clearly of limited experience / proficiency, it's not going to be something that you will be able to critique exactly, so there's little point in getting overly concerned about that.

The main thing is to try them, get a feeling within yourself for one if possible, and enjoy using it. Hopefully from there, improvements will come along and you will continue to enjoy playing.

Good luck with it.
            Thanks for your comments mate one is a talisman and other mw super tip al plod along and try to decide on my own level thanks ps love your cues

Comment

You may be better testing them with the same tip Stevie, as your outcome may be swayed towards liking the feel of the one of the tips rather than the hit/feel of one cue...
              Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

Originally Posted by SouthPaw View Post
                You may be better testing them with the same tip Stevie, as your outcome may be swayed towards liking the feel of the one of the tips rather than the hit/feel of one cue...
                Yes both are difrent tips one a mw super tip other tallsman

Comment

Well had a few frames today think that with my other post the 2 cues are different ballance points a know Jim black cue is 16 but not sure of mac cue a used the first cue with a talisman tip felt same in my hand as old cue felt good second cue mw super tip felt like didnt have to hit cue much to eny thing if that makes sense ?

Comment

long time no see trevor, i thought you were kidnapped, hahahahahahaha

Comment

Be too busy doing your orders for Ding maybe.

Comment

Working...
                      X