Stephen hendry's cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by cueman
    All I see from Acuerate is a company jumping on the bandwagon like a lot of others down the years and making claims, unproven I might add, that they do something that all other cues can't, in this case make the cueball travel in a dead straight line without deviation even if unintentional side spin is applied. All I can say is, what a load of b******X. Sure certain cues can throw the cueball off slightly compared to others, but as Trevor has already explained, there are many variables and reasons as to why some cues throw more than others.

What Acuerate are claiming is that their cues never throw the white off at all. Now if this were true, don't you think there would be a scientific proof of this, other than just a few diagrams and a couple of testimonials from players, some of which don't actually use them, e.g. Peter Ebdon who was so impressed with it, he still uses his 1 piece machine made Dufferin cue that his parents bought him nearly 20 years ago!

Naturally, a company producing or marketing a 'NEW' product, has to be able to offer something which sets it apart from the 'pack', otherwise it just becomes another one of the same (more or less).

With these Acuerate cues, they've focused the benefits almost exclusively on the 'fact???' that these cues do not throw the white ball when off centre striking is applied. Well, for me, this is a little hopeful to say the least.

The truth is, many cues play differently as a good number of us will know. Some throw the white a mile when striking off centre, while others throw so little, that you can practically play the potting angle when applying huge amounts of side to the white. So with this in mind, the key is to be able to establish what exactly it is that allows a cue to behave this way.

What Acuerate appear to be claiming, is to be the 'only' people to understand the way to produce a cue like this, when this is just not the case.

I could ask Acuerate to produce a cue for me, to my specs, which I know would definitely throw the white ball....FACT, purely because the specs I'd provided made it that way.

What they will have to do, to produce a cue that doesn't throw, or throws a minimal amount, is to build the cue to how it 'HAS TO BE BUILT' to behave this way, not, the way I'd like it to be. This, is not what an enormous number of players would want to use, as it wouldn't really fit what they like by way of the feel in a cue.

It's more than possible to build cues week in week out that have a minimal throw off effect, time and again, that can be done no problem.

But, my question is this.....

Will this be a cue that will suit any and every player???

Can these cues be built to an individuals own specifications and still behave this way???

The answers to these questions is NO.

The reason for this is purely because not all players like, or, would wish to use a cue of this shape, size, weight, taper etc etc etc.

For them to say the cue never throws the white, or has really minimal deflection is nothing new at all. There are thousands of standard cues that play like this, and that is a total fact. By the same token, there are thousands of cues that throw the white all over the shop, and that is also a fact. As has been stated in the above post, Mr Ebdon still sticks with his own cue, even though he was somewhat amazed by the Acuerate.
    Well for me, this is no surprise whatsoever, as the cue Ebdon uses is probably a very reliable solid cue that will 'do what it says on the tin' and obey the command the player using it gives.

It's this ability of any cue, to 'OBEY THE COMMAND' that proves whether it is a reliable, trustworthy cue.......or not.

The thing with Stephen Hendry is, that while he no doubt used the Parris cue for some time, and, was relatively haapy with it. There would 'always' be another cue that felt good to him, he just had to find one, and believe me, there would be many. It's just that the one he happened to try was made by these people, it's no big shock, it could've been anything really.

Does the fact that Hendry seems to like this Acuerate thingy prove that these cues are the answer to everybody's prayers for the 'perfect cue'

No it does'nt.....sorry.

There are many cues, by many different makers, that will perform just as well as this cue, that is a fact. Some will be beautifully built, some won't be.

However, does this mean 'ALL' these makers understand what makes a great cue tick???

No it does'nt........But some of us do.

Comment

Nobody can question anybody

Hendry's abilty was to hold his cue better and handle extreme pressure better than anybody else more consistently when everything was at stake was what stood him head and shoulders above the rest, not so much how good or bad his cue worked.

If Hendry or anybody else feels the pinch under pressure, there's nothing a aceurate can do to correct any bad cueing, or put an inaccurate attempted pot that would have normally missed back on target.

After all you play the shot and the result is dependent on how good or bad you played the shot whatever the cue that's used.

If Hendry's as good as he was mid 1990's expect spectacular results like of old at the Crucible. If Hendry's not the man he was mid 1990's style, then expect the results will be nowhere near as good as they were way back then but may still be well in contention. I would take the latter as him still him doing exceptionally well and is the more likely scenario really. Whatever the cue.

Comment

Originally Posted by trevs1
        Naturally, a company producing or marketing a 'NEW' product, has to be able to offer something which sets it apart from the 'pack', otherwise it just becomes another one of the same (more or less).

With these Acuerate cues, they've focused the benefits almost exclusively on the 'fact???' that these cues do not throw the white ball when off centre striking is applied. Well, for me, this is a little hopeful to say the least.

The truth is, many cues play differently as a good number of us will know. Some throw the white a mile when striking off centre, while others throw so little, that you can practically play the potting angle when applying huge amounts of side to the white. So with this in mind, the key is to be able to establish what exactly it is that allows a cue to behave this way.

What Acuerate appear to be claiming, is to be the 'only' people to understand the way to produce a cue like this, when this is just not the case.

I could ask Acuerate to produce a cue for me, to my specs, which I know would definitely throw the white ball....FACT, purely because the specs I'd provided made it that way.

What they will have to do, to produce a cue that doesn't throw, or throws a minimal amount, is to build the cue to how it 'HAS TO BE BUILT' to behave this way, not, the way I'd like it to be. This, is not what an enormous number of players would want to use, as it wouldn't really fit what they like by way of the feel in a cue.

It's more than possible to build cues week in week out that have a minimal throw off effect, time and again, that can be done no problem.

But, my question is this.....

Will this be a cue that will suit any and every player???

Can these cues be built to an individuals own specifications and still behave this way???

The answers to these questions is NO.

The reason for this is purely because not all players like, or, would wish to use a cue of this shape, size, weight, taper etc etc etc.

For them to say the cue never throws the white, or has really minimal deflection is nothing new at all. There are thousands of standard cues that play like this, and that is a total fact. By the same token, there are thousands of cues that throw the white all over the shop, and that is also a fact. As has been stated in the above post, Mr Ebdon still sticks with his own cue, even though he was somewhat amazed by the Acuerate.
        Well for me, this is no surprise whatsoever, as the cue Ebdon uses is probably a very reliable solid cue that will 'do what it says on the tin' and obey the command the player using it gives.

It's this ability of any cue, to 'OBEY THE COMMAND' that proves whether it is a reliable, trustworthy cue.......or not.

The thing with Stephen Hendry is, that while he no doubt used the Parris cue for some time, and, was relatively haapy with it. There would 'always' be another cue that felt good to him, he just had to find one, and believe me, there would be many. It's just that the one he happened to try was made by these people, it's no big shock, it could've been anything really.

Does the fact that Hendry seems to like this Acuerate thingy prove that these cues are the answer to everybody's prayers for the 'perfect cue'

No it does'nt.....sorry.

There are many cues, by many different makers, that will perform just as well as this cue, that is a fact. Some will be beautifully built, some won't be.

However, does this mean 'ALL' these makers understand what makes a great cue tick???

No it does'nt........But some of us do.
        I think i am going to stop posting as trevor has a tendancy to say what I think more eloquently than i do!

The only point I would like to make is that who says defection is always a bad thing? my own cue recently when in the hands of a top class player he found had a tendancy to throw the ball everywhere but in my hands its just fine, each to their own it does not make the cue bad just different from his. if you want a cue that does not throw at all buy one in carbon graphite that is stiff as a poker but it will also have no life, no feel and no character and personally i will never go with that!
        https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

I have to explain something and quote the Acuerate boss explanations which he did on another forum.
          He said after several questions he had :

Most shots in snooker have traces of side spin whether with intention or not and the Acuerate cue reduces the amount of cue ball deflection. For example if you strike the cue ball low with say right side spin, the cue ball is deflected to the opposite side of the intended line of aim, so in this instance to the left. Therefore, imagine playing a straight black off it's spot with the intention of screwing back to the cushion with bottom right side spin. The initial aiming of the shot would be adjusted so that the black would be aimed to the left side of the pocket ! do you agree ?

You would aim more to the natural potting point of the black ball as the cue ball will travel straighter towards the black.

If there was no deflection at all, you would PULL the cue ball off line if you cued slightly across the shot, so therefore some degree of deflection is necessary !

This technology REALLY comes into it's own on the slippery match cloths as the cue ball deflects more off the line of aim compared to a worn cloth and this increased deflection is what a player is fighting against, certainly when under pressure as it becomes increasingly difficult to deliver the cue straight during the follow through. When swerving around a ball, you must aim slightly wider of the impeding ball as the Acuerate quickly gets hold of the cue ball and infact swerves the ball even more than a standard cue due to the increased spin and lower initial PUSH OUT effect of the cue ball.

No you just need to aim wider of the impeding ball as the swerve takes effect quicker.

In around the black using slight swerves and using side spin to pull a ball back on line with side spin or turn it over as you mention is very easy.

Stop of the posts!

Now, I know that Stephen with his old cue was putting a lot of side spins unintentionals in the cue ball, and the Acuerate corrected this problem.
          That's probably why he loves it! Its easier to correct this problem, especially on match cloths, with this cue than practicing hard to change this bad habit yourself alone!
          If you want, I can ask Chris Henry to answer you, or by inviting him here or to quote him after your questions.
          But, please, before saying this cue cant do this or this or even its not good or else, TRY IT and you will see by yourself that it works!

Comment

I'm not for one minute saying the cue doesn't work, or, that 'SOME' of the claims made aren't justifiable.

What I 'AM' saying, is that this is possible (and not uncommon) for a 'NON ACUERATE' cue also, so the claim to be something 'UNIQUE' is not a true one. There are many cues that will play exactly as the Acuerate will, it's nothing new at all.

The levels of deflection created varies enormously between one cue and another, as while some will throw the ball in the opposite direction of the applied side, some will almost feel as if they pull the ball into the side which has been applied (without the arcing off to the opposite side first).

I don't want to get into a disagreement over these issues, and, I don't need or require explanation of the effects of side on the white ball, whether in around the high value spots, or, over full table distance......I understand it perfectly well.

I'm also aware of the properties of the Number 10 cloth, and, the effect it has on the behaviour of the cueball.

I don't want to spoil the party for Acuerate if they are jumping for joy over Hendry using one of their cues. Best of luck to them and to Stephen in using it. I wish both, every success.

But if claims are made like this they become open to question and debate, and naturally, not all of the listening public know nothing about the subject, many will know quite a lot.

Anyone that knows me will no doubt back me up when I say, I'll tell it like it is, no frills, no bias (at least I try to be that way).

What I'll speak of is for the information of anyone wishing to read it and not for the benefit of myself. This is a forum, it's where people share thoughts, opinions and views, I wouldn't use it to score points over any competitor, or promote myself in any obvious way.

As I said before, let's see in five years how many are using these cues.

If they are 'THAT' good, I'm sure the word will spread quickly, it always does.

Comment

I understand what you mean.

Many amateur players already use Acuerate cues but its not known by the PROS yet or not all. Or yes, one pro player Bjorn Haneveer who used it in the Main Tour last year, a 8,75mm tip which is ultra low deflection, much more like the 9,25mm tip.
              I think if Stephen use it in Sheffield and have success with it, lot of pro players will be curious to try one! Right or not?
              I think Stephen is probably the best advertissement for a product in snooker! No?
              Trev, did you already try one Acuerate before?
              I think you know very well snooker, I think you also know the "cue ball physics", so please try one and I am sure you will make a very good comment on Acuerate. Good comment or bad on the cue, it will be your own view of it, but sure the comment will be a great one! No?

Comment

I think everybody who criticizes the Acuerate cues should have tested it before. You can't criticize a book if you haven't read it. You can't criticize a car if you haven't tried it. Etc.
                I'm not defending the Acuerates by any means, as I haven't tried such a cue yet (it will probably be done in two weeks). I still remain myself a bit skeptical about the concept but who knows? Maybe Chrs Henry has produced something really good. I don't know.
                But I think people can't just make a statement whitout having tried the product...
                Ton Praram III Series 1 | 58" 18.4oz 9.4mm | ash shaft + 4 splices of Brazilian Rosewood | Grand Cue medium tips

Comment

Originally Posted by Erwan_BZH
                  I think everybody who criticizes the Acuerate cues should have tested it before. You can't criticize a book if you haven't read it. You can't criticize a car if you haven't tried it. Etc.
                  I'm not defending the Acuerates by any means, as I haven't tried such a cue yet (it will probably be done in two weeks). I still remain myself a bit skeptical about the concept but who knows? Maybe Chrs Henry has produced something really good. I don't know.
                  But I think people can't just make a statement whitout having tried the product...
                  well if they will send me one i will be more than happy to put it in the hands of a dozen well known cue makers and professional players and will be happy to give it an honest review from all of them. i personally have seen one but not played with it and it looked very much like your standard thai cue. build was nothing special to my eyes.

Comment

Looks like everyone is guessing what cue he has?? he could probably win with something out of a snooker club cue rack..

Q
                    Looking for a uk, brand new car or van?, look no further, drop me an email or pager now, I will beat any dealer on the road price ! Q

Comment

read back m8 - i watched him play with it its not a guess

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147
                        read back m8 - i watched him play with it its not a guess
                        I thought in the early part of the thread a number of cues were mentioned
                        Q
                        Looking for a uk, brand new car or van?, look no further, drop me an email or pager now, I will beat any dealer on the road price ! Q

Comment

we now know its an acuerate 147 in maple

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147
                            we now know its an acuerate 147 in maple
                            cheerz, am sure me will sleep better tonight...lol
                            Q

Comment

@ cueman

instead of trying to destroy other people's building in order to have the biggest and greatest one, the better way to achieve something is to try and create your own building.

Everybody is screaming for scientific proof.

Well that's the biggest scream of all.

FACT: the acuerate cues work
                              FACT: with the Acuerate cues, the throw is reduced dramatically
                              FACT: the Acuerate hardly throws the ball at all.
                              FACT: the best proof is to try one
                              FACT: anybody can critisise somebody on an internet forum as it's the easiest thing in the world.
                              FACT: If it was indeed a load of b******ll***x, then why so much effort to bad mouth the Acuerate cue?? A bad product will always destroy itself.
                              FACT: if it were to be a bad product or a scam, it would have destroyed itself already.
                              FACT: the success of the acuerate cue is growing, and more people are starting to discover it.
                              FACT: I have tried one 5 weeks ago, and I am fully convinced that it works, and that it is a better performing cue then any other.
                              FACT: I don't need any scientific proof for this. I only need to see it with my own eyes. Scientific proof is for things we don't understand, and things we can't figure out for ourselves.

Is there life on Mars? I don't know, but you can convince me with scientific proof.

Does my cell phone is harmfull for my health? I don't know, so scientific proof could come in handy

Is my fridge in the kitches keeping my food cold? Yes, I can experience this, and even though this is probably porven by scientists, I'm not bothered, cause it works. That's all I need to know.

Is the acuerate different from traditional cues? YES, no scientific proof needed, I can try it

Does the Acuerate throw the cue ball off line? NO, hardly at all.
                              Does the Acuerate outperforme most other cues? YES, and I can see that from miles away. No scientist needed here.

Conclusion: Don't critisise, but try.
                              There's nothing magical about it. It's pure and simple physics.

To me, it's the best cue I ever tried, and I'm not the only one with this opinion.
                              I know lots of players who put aside their fancy expensive cue, and are playing with an Acuerate now, simply because to them it's a better performing cue.

I'm not saying that all the other cues are bad. They aren't.
                              I just want to say that everything deserves a fair chance.

Don't critisese just because you think you're right, and others are wrong.
                              Critisise after you have tried. But try first before you critisise, because there's always tomorrow.

“Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment.”

– Rita Mae Brown, author

Comment

I for one am not saying it won't work.

What I have said, and what I also know to be fact is:...................

This is not the only cue that will play this way.

A standard cue can also be capable of this if you know how to produce it.

IT'S NOTHING UNIQUE IN THAT SENSE........FACT.

Comment

Working...
                                X