Grain filler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grain filler

Question to the cue experts: Will this work? I have ebony dye my self to mix in:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Birchwood-...item20d33d5a68

I use Rustins grain filler, mix in a bit of shoe polish for colour or leave it plain if you're not a big fan of darkened grain.
    http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/271430570297?nav=SEARCH

Comment

Thanks yes I have seen that beeing recommended before. I was just curious if the other one could be used as well

Comment

My motto has always been: One way to find out!

Gun stocks are normally really slick and smooth so I'd imagine it would do the trick.

Comment

Although filling pores on a shaped piece of hardwood is possibly quite different to filling hollow grain like you find in ash. That said, I took a bit of advice from a recent three on this topic and have successfully experimented with filling ash grain by sanding the wood when it's soaked in oil. I'm hoping its going to last a bit longer than filler which has a tendency to fall out over time.

Give me maple any day, none of this grain filling malarkey!

Comment

Yes maybe I should just try and see. I do like the look of nice dark grain on an ash cue even though Maple is more practical agreed

Comment

i am about to order some ristins grain filler, it says to mix in some white spirit before use.. i'm guessing i would just skip this part for use on a cue?
              thanks.

Comment

I mix the filler with white spirit and it's fine. Beware - it's a very messy job.
                #jeSuisByrom

Comment

Originally Posted by Joel23 View Post
                  i am about to order some ristins grain filler, it says to mix in some white spirit before use.. i'm guessing i would just skip this part for use on a cue?
                  thanks.
                  No you don't skip this for cues, you follow the instructions and mix it with white spirit to a fine smooth paste that covers the shaft easily and seeps into the grain rather than lie on the surface.
                  I also mix in some activated charcoal to darken it which doesn't discolour the wood and keeps that new wood look.

Comment

You can also get easy to use grain filler from a French polish supplier like I do.
                    I'm like as I've been going to one near me for year's...
                    Joys of being an antique furniture restorer.
                    They do black filler that is easy to use but would say, wear gloves.
                    For that one you've always wanted...
                    https://www.facebook.com/ninjacues/

Comment

Working...
                    X