Mezz entering the Snooker Cue market.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by danielkandi View Post
    Im a bit late with a reply. But , can honestly say that the cue has improved my game. weekly 100breaks, improved longgame. Machinemade yes, but level, compared to the many ashcues that floats around. But besides that, I have to say that a stiff maple cue goes against what all players (95% of them) enjoys to play with. Only a few has ever given maple the thought of day in terms of making a snookercue out of it. But Mezz chose it because ash played too different from one production to another. I have tried 3 of these v95 shafts and had 2 of them 3months and now 10 months and counting on this latest one. The first one i didnt keep was for another customer, and that one i had a 108 with on the first day. The other two, I broke 130 barrier within a good week with the first , and the one I kept, i had a 143 on the 2nd day of play.

Switched from the 2nd cue only because i was given a plain bocote model at first, and was waiting for an inlay version.

i'll post some videos with it soon for examples.

I found that medium and soft tips on the cue are no good. Too much squirt. I tried several attempts of kamui medium brown (original) and found them all to be too soft for the overall feel. MediumHard Original Kamui is what I have settled on, and everytime i fit one (every 3 months approx.) its played in within 5 or 6 frames where u pound the ball a bit harder. Plus the deflection/squirt is significantly lower than with the softer tips.

Downside ? maybe that its 1cm shorter than what some players want. But for me its perfect. I couldnt imagine playing with another cue honestly.
    Comparing Ash performance to Maple ...
    I've played with Parris back when it was MAGICAL (pre 2005ish), compared to how hit n miss they play in the newer productions, and ive tried 4-5 cues lately from Parris which played like night and day. Thats my take on Ash... Ordering one online without having tried it, is something I wouldnt dare with any ash cue. the 6piece laminated shaft from Mezz, seems to make sure of the squirt and feel being near the same every make you get. Same like Predatorcues 314 and z shafts did (before they moved to china and became inconsistent)

It plays less elastic, more stiff and solid, but still with plenty of feel, and good amount of spin in it too.

its way different. It takes time for someone solely used to ash, to get used to it. but ive had both, and it took me about a week or two after I got the first model till i started feeling super comfy with it.
    So basically you are good at snooker and you own a cue that you like. We are all very happy for you.

Comment

i saw some hate on the cue and i decided to dish in with my experience with it. It's just a great buildquality overall. If u can learn to play with it, thats another case. But it works for most of those that give it the attention it deserves.

Comment

i saw some hate on the cue and i decided to dish in with my experience with it. It's just a great buildquality overall. If u can learn to play with it, thats another case. But it works for most of those that give it the attention it deserves.
        I play with maple myself. tried Mezz, I found it too stiff tbh.
        However, when it comes to cues, it's a matter of personal preference.
        Glad you can get on with it.

May i ask how much did you pay for the cue ?

Comment

got it sponsored as im a hybridplayer. Pool AND snooker (at a good amateur level). i've got a cameraman finally, so a demonstration video of the cue is something we are going to record ASAP. The stiffness is a bit crazy if not used to it. Compared to how soft John Higgins' ash cue is, this is miles harder. Noticed how it arks when hes on his final backswing. Rather soft wood. Just one example. I have suggested them to make it thinner and less conical too quickly, like it does seem to be now. It would make it slightly more whippy i think. But lets see what they end up doing. its 9,5mm as standard, and i think it should stay that. or 9,4. But ye, less conical without being all 314-like from predator, in its shape.

Comment

Hope this picture shows the detailwork a bit more. The veneers are seemless and amazing finish on it.

Comment

ok that failed... so instead here is the link if folks wanna see it. https://www.instagram.com/p/Batbf-nn...thedanielkandi some might find it a turnoff that you cant feel the veneers, but at least it means they wont crack in the glue etc. I also suggested to make veneers a few mm deep on the shaft itself, to make it less poolcue like, but i think to avoid playability difference, they opted for no shaft veneers.

Comment

Interesting replies Daniel and our dealer here in Australia does not seem to be stocking them any more and they have not been available on his website for a while for reasons I cannot answer.

Surely the amount of money they are asking for them considering what you can get hand made for equal or lesser has put a dint in their market for attracting the average Snooker players to give them a go.

I still have not not seen anyone here in Australia playing with one nor have I heard of any player purchasing one.
                If it is called " Common sense " why is it so rare???

Comment

ok that failed... so instead here is the link if folks wanna see it. https://www.instagram.com/p/Batbf-nn...thedanielkandi some might find it a turnoff that you cant feel the veneers, but at least it means they wont crack in the glue etc. I also suggested to make veneers a few mm deep on the shaft itself, to make it less poolcue like, but i think to avoid playability difference, they opted for no shaft veneers.
                  Looks like a pool cue, can't see it ever catching on for snooker

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                    Looks like a pool cue, can't see it ever catching on for snooker
                    When I checked them out after some positive posts on here I found out they weren't available in Canada but were available from the States and then I have to pay customs, tax and shipping. Total price came to over $1,600 for me which is around 1,000GBP, so definitely not worth it for me. I don't like overly stiff cues anyway and prefer my MW ash because it does have a medium flex.
                    Terry Davidson
                    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

iagree that the price is steep when u think that its "only 3 veneers" . But the inlays are not what you're paying for. Its the technology. Joint never been so accurate, plus laminated shafts. Consistent.

I will put it this way, if I ever needed a cue and couldnt try it of the shelf, and it was in the 1000 euro pricerange, i would not buy a parris topmodel. I would buy a mezz. Because i know what i would get. i would never know with a parris, or many other ash cue makers for that matter. Most of those that are happy with their 1000+euro cues from ash makers are those that cant make a break over 30 or 40 anyway. They just want the craftsmanship and the look. Its always those types i see posting how they love the cue to bits.

I asked Mezz corp what their aim is. And tbh they arent trying to cater to the average joe. They want more hi-end clientel with this i think. But we can agree that price is high. All i can say is, i've tried no other cue with that much power when having to spread the reds around the black.

Im back in melbourne in feb or march i think, so lets meetup for u to try it IF i get to carry it on the flight.

Comment

got it sponsored as im a hybridplayer. Pool AND snooker (at a good amateur level). i've got a cameraman finally, so a demonstration video of the cue is something we are going to record ASAP. The stiffness is a bit crazy if not used to it. Compared to how soft John Higgins' ash cue is, this is miles harder. Noticed how it arks when hes on his final backswing. Rather soft wood. Just one example. I have suggested them to make it thinner and less conical too quickly, like it does seem to be now. It would make it slightly more whippy i think. But lets see what they end up doing. its 9,5mm as standard, and i think it should stay that. or 9,4. But ye, less conical without being all 314-like from predator, in its shape.
                        Well , stiffness is a bit crazy Compared to any ash cue ( NOT only JH's ) and most of maple cues i have tried .
                        It has a good response , i give you that .
                        Cue is something personal.
                        If you can get on with it , than stick to it i would say !!

I asked what you have paid because I was curious, looks like abit diff prices in diff countries, lol.

http://www.doubledavecues.com/mezz-v...ml?language=en

Comment

i think my inlay version is around 1050 to 1100 euro. so it is "up there".

Comment

Working...
                          X