Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old cue ?

ARE THESES OLD CUES ONE OF THEM IS single piece of ash

Be interesting to find out about these. Never seen that kind of taper that the short cue has. Was it for snooker do you know? The bulbous end is wicked imo.

Comment

Not so sure about the long one it looks as its been varnished or covered in somthing I can see the large scratch on the last pic and the clean wood underneath. The other ones interesting it looks as it got some real age to it dont think you will ever find out who made it probably some hobbyist cue maker for some reason or another the ferrul doesn't look original to the cue I have never seen one like this before maybe 100 upper or another member with more knowledge on older cues could helpi am more of a 1985 plus cue guy.

Comment

Originally Posted by justf View Post
        Be interesting to find out about these. Never seen that kind of taper that the short cue has. Was it for snooker do you know? The bulbous end is wicked imo.
        Maybe made for tight spaces.

Comment

Have I missed something, but isn't the short one just a walking stick?

Comment

Just a guess from me but didn't cues that originated from the old kind of shove cues(sorry don't know the right term for them) have that kind of bulb at the end?
            This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
            https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by RogiBear View Post
              Have I missed something, but isn't the short one just a walking stick?
              Very slim for a walking stick isn't it Rogi?

Comment

Looking at it walking stick a good call, for a little old lady perhaps? Doubt we will ever know but its very interesting to see and speculate.

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                  Just a guess from me but didn't cues that originated from the old kind of shove cues(sorry don't know the right term for them) have that kind of bulb at the end?
                  I haven't seen any to comment on this, but they're called a "mace"

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                  Very slim for a walking stick isn't it Rogi?
                  Not convinced it's too slim. It could have a duel purpose which we're not aware of, that many sticks have, hence it's slim

Comment

What length is the shorter one Gary? In one pic it looks about seven inches shorter than the bigger one but in another it look a few feet shorter.
                    Good shout on the dual purpose, could be right.

Comment

I could well be a walking stick but I am going for this home made short cue for tight spaces bulbous end is for better grip if you left it normal it would have beed way to thin to grip. Yep sounds good probably a walking stick.

Comment

I think you may be right Rogi, I couldn't find a picture of another like it, but I could have sworn I had seen one like this before.

Comment

My first impression is that they are both cues, although I would like to look at them more closely before making a decision. The short one certainly seems to have a billiard cue splice, but the ferrule at the tip seems to be very roughly fitted and looks like a later addition. Perhaps it is short because it broke, and the owner, rather than throwing it away, converted it into a cane or swagger stick. I've never seen a butt quite like that, although if it had been intended as a mace head it would have a flat on one side so that it could be stabilised when in use. I'd need to take some measurements and look at the taper to see if they supported the breakage theory.

The ash cue seems to have been varnished at some time in its life. These were also used for the short rest as well as cues, and this becomes the more likely use as time goes on. It wouldn't be unusual to see these varnished, but you'd need to test the dimensions to see if it might have started life attached to a rest head.

Comment

Some things I have noticed, in the last pic of the short cue, with the ferrule close to the camera, is there just a hint of blue tip left on it?, also if it was a walking stick I would expect some damage(scuffing of some sort) on the brass ,but this looks to have very clean edges.

Comment

I THOUGHT IT WAS A walking stick i brought 4 of theses stick of the same guy i throw 3 away lol the other cue came as a
                              job lot of 15 cues at the carboot they are my oldest cues that ive got the one with the bone ferrule came with this cue thats why i THOUGHT this one was old

Comment

Working...
                              X