another parris ultimate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
    Yeah Andy G does make a cue as a one piece, then adds the joint an inch or so above the splices
    or below the splices as mine has been!
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
      or below the splices as mine has been!
      Always the occasional exception
      And early Parris 3/4 cues were i believe made as one piece then cut and jointed

Comment

That's all before we even mention 50" Thai shafts made into one piece cues.

Comment

Mike wooldridge olive wood shark
          Did you put my "1" up ?

Comment

Originally Posted by danam1 View Post
            Mike wooldridge olive wood shark
            Ahh well, the shark design is a machine spliced cue, that's why then
            Edit: based on machine spliced principles but then hand finished, but this is not the normal way of making cues nowadays
            Last edited by jrc750; 28 August 2014, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Fair enough, now I know!
              I've just noticed on mikes site the picture of the olive shark is actually my cue!
              http://www.handmadecues.com/2-Cues/36-shark.htm
              Last edited by danam1; 28 August 2014, 10:17 PM.
              Did you put my "1" up ?

Comment

Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
                seriously chaps are they still people out there falling for this hype.can you think of any other products with a waiting list like that?.I would love to know how many people are in the cue sorry queue
                I have had a Chris Lythe centre pin on order for 5 years now!!!

Comment

Fair enough, now I know!
                  I've just noticed on mikes site the picture of the olive shark is actually my cue!
                  http://www.handmadecues.com/2-Cues/36-shark.htm
                  Looks very nice

Comment

Originally Posted by perpetualboredom View Post
                    It's a shame it turns ugly brown in a few years! Definitely a pretty wood when new though.
                    Easy to make look like new again with some careful sanding. I've just done mine and wished I'd taken some before and after pics.
                    Originally Posted by Leo View Post
                    He said a few years which usually means more then one!
                    Olive after 1 year ~~~~
                    Last edited by kadobau; 29 August 2014, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Bigmeek View Post
                      Didn't know that. For some reason I thought they would both be made the same way then a 3/4 would be cut and a joint added. Interesting.
                      I have always held the (somewhat contentious) view that 3/4 cues made this way should not be labelled "handmade", there is nothing handmade about putting an ebony block in a lathe and turning it to a butt. It's the same process as a table leg. Yes, there are small splices put on the shaft and possibly decorative ones on the turned butt , but for me, the shaft runs the length of a handmade cue.

Comment

has anyone got a video of a 3/4 being made? I'd be interested to see ... one thing that's puzzling me (as a DIY-phobe) is how the butt is attached securely to the shaft (no jokes please) ...

Comment

Originally Posted by jb134 View Post
                          I have always held the (somewhat contentious) view that 3/4 cues made this way should not be labelled "handmade", there is nothing handmade about putting an ebony block in a lathe and turning it to a butt. It's the same process as a table leg. Yes, there are small splices put on the shaft and possibly decorative ones on the turned butt , but for me, the shaft runs the length of a handmade cue.
                          +10 To that !!!! agree 100 percent.

Comment

Originally Posted by DandyA View Post
                            has anyone got a video of a 3/4 being made? I'd be interested to see ... one thing that's puzzling me (as a DIY-phobe) is how the butt is attached securely to the shaft (no jokes please) ...
                            I saw a video on the website of Robert Osborne a few years ago. . was a short video ,but very interesting !!!!!

Comment

You can find it on the section Gallery / cue production, Dany. But I think that it shows you how he makes one-piece cues ,, not 3/4. Is not a video ,,, is Some kind of slideshow .. Wrg info, sorry about that.

Comment

Originally Posted by DandyA View Post
                                You mean you want to see how the joint is fitted? seems fairly obvious to me, look at pics of joints, shaft and butt will be drilled to suit and brass bits glued in???

Comment

Working...
                                X