Cue made FOR Coutts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cue made FOR Coutts

Anyone know who made this for Dave Coutts ?

Still think the ad is deliberately vague in it's description.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Coutts-cue-/301314309041?

Hopefully Dave himself might tell us, but i suspect made overseas ?? a while ago on his site before it got updated, they used to appear quite regularly.

Comment

It's like if I had a Parris cue with my name badge on it, I wouldn't sell it as a "billabong" cue,

I'd say it's a John Parris cue.

I know the badge pic is clear, but why list this as a "Coutts cue" ?

It should read "Coutts' cue" ( as in belonging to ), with the apostrophe after the letter s, in my opinion.

Comment

Originally Posted by billabong View Post
        It's like if I had a Parris cue with my name badge on it, I wouldn't sell it as a "billabong" cue,

I'd say it's a John Parris cue.

I know the badge pic is clear, but why list this as a "Coutts cue" ?

It should read "Coutts' cue" ( as in belonging to ), with the apostrophe after the letter s, in my opinion.
        Bit late at night for an English lesson lol

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
          Bit late at night for an English lesson lol
          Never too late John. . I'm working on removal man Stevie at the moment, but I think it's a lost cause. LOL

Comment

I think its wrong for cue makers to have cues made for them by another cue maker then badging it up with their name on full stop. Its absolutely nothing to do with Dave Coutts other than he is looking to make a profit off the back of his name alone.

People often talk about cues and values and attributing the value down to the name alone, in this case that pretty much sums it up, you are just paying for his name. Can you imagine if Parris did this and the subsequent fall out on this place!!!

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
              I think its wrong for cue makers to have cues made for them by another cue maker then badging it up with their name on full stop. Its absolutely nothing to do with Dave Coutts other than he is looking to make a profit off the back of his name alone.

People often talk about cues and values and attributing the value down to the name alone, in this case that pretty much sums it up, you are just paying for his name. Can you imagine if Parris did this and the subsequent fall out on this place!!!
              Agreed. It's completely double standards IMHO.

Comment

Cue made FOR Coutts

I'm ambivalent on this one. For us to state how Dave Coutts should use his name is amiss, it is his name to represent how he sees fit. If Dave feels a cue is worthy of bearing his name then thay should be sufficient for us and in this badges state 'made for' in this case which is an easily understood statement in my opinion. With a little online research or asking the correct questions to Dave any potential buyer could make a well informed buying choice.

I do believe that just as easily as a buyer could find the information about the story behind such cues, Dave could just as easily make it beyond confusion by explaining his badging system on an information page on his website.

That's enough talk of what he could do and what they should do. I'm off to do the things that I need to do :snooker:
                On Cue Facebook Page
                Stuart Graham Coaching Website - On a break until March 2015
                Ton Praram Cues UK Price List

Comment

The badge does say what it is, but I agree it is a bit vague, although is it any different to a GBL cue, that doesn't say who made it on the badge and no one seems to bother.
                  This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                  https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                    The badge does say what it is, but I agree it is a bit vague, although is it any different to a GBL cue, that doesn't say who made it on the badge and no one seems to bother.
                    I think it is different because GBL never made cues, that is just the name they trade under and have admitted that the cues are made for them exclusively from a cue maker in Thailand. The sole intention from GBL was to provide top quality cues at very good prices, as good as you can buy at that price point. They didn't have a reputation to begin with so were taking a bit of a risk, people knew what they were getting and the quality speaks for itself.

With the cue with Coutts' name on it we do not know the origin of it, all we know is it carries his name yet he already makes his own cues, yet the badge is extremely similar in design, font and shape to his own cues. That is where the problem begins IMO.

Because on first sight, if you are not well into cues as we are, you could be mistaken for thinking this is a Coutts cue first and foremost. Secondly, because the cue bears his name you automatically assume that he has had some input or carried out work on the cue, yet just as with the origin of the cue, we don't have any info. All we know is that a cue with his name will command a higher price in the market than if this cue carried the name of the person or company who made it. Should a name on a badge increase its value based on this information? I'll let everyone else decide!

Comment

Why not ask Jon Lonergan he is on here and worked on the cue.

Comment

Originally Posted by bigandyg View Post
                        Why not ask Jon Lonergan he is on here and worked on the cue.
                        How will he know who made it?

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                          How will he know who made it?
                          I've asked Dave , but he's not came back to me yet.

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
                            I think it is different because GBL never made cues, that is just the name they trade under and have admitted that the cues are made for them exclusively from a cue maker in Thailand. The sole intention from GBL was to provide top quality cues at very good prices, as good as you can buy at that price point. They didn't have a reputation to begin with so were taking a bit of a risk, people knew what they were getting and the quality speaks for itself.

With the cue with Coutts' name on it we do not know the origin of it, all we know is it carries his name yet he already makes his own cues, yet the badge is extremely similar in design, font and shape to his own cues. That is where the problem begins IMO.

Because on first sight, if you are not well into cues as we are, you could be mistaken for thinking this is a Coutts cue first and foremost. Secondly, because the cue bears his name you automatically assume that he has had some input or carried out work on the cue, yet just as with the origin of the cue, we don't have any info. All we know is that a cue with his name will command a higher price in the market than if this cue carried the name of the person or company who made it. Should a name on a badge increase its value based on this information? I'll let everyone else decide!
                            Yep I agree the badge should be easier to understand(if that's the right phrase) and I can see where your coming from about Coutts making cues and GBL being more of a vendor or agent, but we still don't know who made either type of cue, and from what I understand Coutts has this cue made to his standard by someone else and he sticks his badge on it, Stu, picks cues he has made by someone else and then sticks his badge on it, and for all we know it could be the same people making both. Doesn't bother me, as long as the cues play nicely and everyone knows what's going on.
                            This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                            https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Coutts cues is the company name , my handmade cues always say handmade by Dave Coutts ,as a lot of you may already know I also sell other makes of cues as I canot make a living making handmade cues alone , these are a batch of cues I got 3or4 years ago from a maker in Thailand who makes cues for a lot of cue makers the only difference is I badged them under the company name as made for , unlike the others except Chrispian who badge them handmade and then there name , I thought custom made for Coutts cues was very clear but obviously not .

Comment

Working...
                              X