Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A unique cue-Alder shaft.

Hand made by Andy Hunter

A totaly one off cue by Andy made with an alder shaft and a full snakewood butt.In Andy's opinion one of the best cues he has ever made.

For the 30 years i have known him he has always said alder makes the best shafts for cues but to find a suitable piece firm enough is almost impossible even though it is a common wood.

When i first saw it i thought "uuurgh" it looks like something you would buy from the bottom of the range at JJB or Argos,lol.
    The grain pattern is ugly and the snakewood is sooo gnarly!

After a few shots it was "Wow,Jesus"the response is phenomenal!!

The specs are-58inch,10.5 tip, 31.2 butt, 17.5bp(typical AH specs) I'm having a badge made for it.

Now the real beauty of this cue is the fact it can be taken down to more modern day specs and this wont affect the cue at all playability wise
    (as is the case with all Andy's cues he makes)
    Secondly its the only one of its kind!!

So what do you think? Ugly or Awesome?

Andy says the haters really gonna hate this one and not a lot of people gonna understand its true meaning.

Tell me what you think,i'd like some honest opinions.

Trev.

it is rather ugly but i agree with andy dont matter what a cue looks like if it hits as you want.

Comment

I always said that about Kevin Muncasters cues, not the prettiest, but they didn't leave his workshop if they weren't great players. That said it is ugly and I know what you mean about the cheap BCE look, I've got a 2 piece I inherited from a previous careless owner, looks like a cross between ash and maple, but the day i inherited it I had the white on a string, lives in the boot now!
      No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

I think it could grow on me
        :snooker: If you can't pot the pink - bury the brown!

Comment

now there's a film i haven't seen for a while Zulu

Comment

Does it come with a leopard skin thong?

Also if it's a real one off how come there's two of them?
            Last edited by GeordieDS; 19 October 2014, 01:43 PM.
            It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

Originally Posted by GeordieDS View Post
              Does it come with a leopard skin thong?

Also if it's a real one off how come there's two of them?
              The other one is ash,numpty.

Comment

Originally Posted by TexasTrev View Post
                The other one is ash,numpty.
                It's hard to tell with the groovy 1970's carpet underneath

Wibble

Comment

Take it to the club tonight mate so I can have a knock with it

Wibble

Comment

Originally Posted by GeordieDS View Post
                    It's hard to tell with the groovy 1970's carpet underneath
                    Andy's mums carpet not mine lol.will fetch it tonight.

Comment

Originally Posted by TexasTrev View Post
                      Hand made by Andy Hunter

A totaly one off cue by Andy made with an alder shaft and a full snakewood butt.In Andy's opinion one of the best cues he has ever made.

For the 30 years i have known him he has always said alder makes the best shafts for cues but to find a suitable piece firm enough is almost impossible even though it is a common wood.

When i first saw it i thought "uuurgh" it looks like something you would buy from the bottom of the range at JJB or Argos,lol.
                      The grain pattern is ugly and the snakewood is sooo gnarly!

After a few shots it was "Wow,Jesus"the response is phenomenal!!

The specs are-58inch,10.5 tip, 31.2 butt, 17.5bp(typical AH specs) I'm having a badge made for it.

Now the real beauty of this cue is the fact it can be taken down to more modern day specs and this wont affect the cue at all playability wise
                      (as is the case with all Andy's cues he makes)
                      Secondly its the only one of its kind!!

So what do you think? Ugly or Awesome?

Andy says the haters really gonna hate this one and not a lot of people gonna understand its true meaning.

Tell me what you think,i'd like some honest opinions.

Trev.

It's a bit optimistic to state that any one timber produces the "best" shafts, as timber of the same species can be and often is so variable. For reasons which are fairly obvious, ash is favoured for the fact that it often yields the most suitable and readily available timber for cue shafts. Granted, there are dozens and dozens of timbers which can (and sometimes have) been used for cues shafts, but that in itself does not suggest any one particular wood is the best, right across the board. As you have written above, Andy claimed that to his knowledge, it's tricky to find a piece which is good enough for a cue shaft. How does this suggest it is best for cue shaft.? It doesn't.

The truth is simple, 100%. There is no "best" when it comes to timber for a cue shaft. This is a fact whether anyone wishes to believe it or not. Of course, there will be many opinions, but they will be opinions only and are not factually correct, provable or certain in any way.

Now, as for what makes the best cues, well to some extent this is so subjective that it's almost not worth discussing. But, for people who are cue enthusiasts, it will often be that a cue which is made from beautiful materials, such as exotic timbers of the most extraordinary figuring or colouring, put together with care and accuracy and then finished to the highest standards, are exactly the sort of thing that may be labelled the "best" of cues. Having said that, the aesthetic side of things is only part of the story as we know. The telling bit is really in the behaviour of a cue when its used. If the cue is not only fantastic to look at and handle, but is also fabulous to use and play with, then it can rightly be labelled as being amongst the best of what's available. Even so, this is still subjective to a fair degree.

Finally, as for any "haters", well there are those who will shout all sorts down without good reason, or even shout things down when there maybe is a reason, when it might be far better to say nothing and let things slide by. But, at the end of the day, anyone who knows enough about what makes a cue beautiful, whether that be in the performace of it, or the aesthetics of it, or both, definitely does understand the 'true meaning' of a lovely cue.

It's just not that complicated for people to get it. It's actually very simple.
                      Last edited by trevs1; 19 October 2014, 03:29 PM.

Comment

It's actually a very nice cue

Wibble

Comment

I llike it. Andy makes fantastic cues, i have two, both great players with that zola/messi rather than ronaldo/beckham twist, not great lookers but brilliant players. Was the cue expensive? I have no idea of cost of alder wood.

Comment

Originally Posted by justf View Post
                            I llike it. Andy makes fantastic cues, i have two, both great players with that zola/messi rather than ronaldo/beckham twist, not great lookers but brilliant players. Was the cue expensive? I have no idea of cost of alder wood.
                            LOL, good analogy Justf. :snooker:

Comment

Can only assume that the timber merchant must have thought he'd hit the jackpot when a chap comes in and says "I'd like to buy all der wood"
                              On Cue Facebook Page
                              Stuart Graham Coaching Website - On a break until March 2015
                              Ton Praram Cues UK Price List

Comment

Working...
                              X