Ash or maple ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ash or maple ??

How much difference is there in a cue that is made of ash, and one that is made of maple? I have one that is made of ash, but would love to try a maple.

If you want a cue that feels a little softer, what should you look for then? The weight perhaps? Since I mostly have played American pool in my life, so I know what cue that produces different hardnesses. But which brand produces generally somewhat softer snooker queues? Is a paradon softer than Craftman to give an example?

I do not know, but are not maple slightly softer than ash?

It's always a bit difficult to explain in English, but I hope not my question sounds weird in any way? :-)
    Regards / Ronnie
    Last edited by ronfor0603; 30 October 2014, 10:39 PM.

Originally Posted by ronfor0603 View Post
    snooker queues?
    A snooker queue is the line to buy tickets to see Ronnie O'Sullivan play.

My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
    I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Originally Posted by mythman69 View Post
      A snooker queue is the line to buy tickets to see Ronnie O'Sullivan play.

Did I say something strange? You can correct me if I said something wrong.

Comment

A queue is when you stand waiting for something, a cue is what you play with.
        Don't worry, your English is very good
        In my experience i find maple cues to be stiffer than ash, but i suppose it's all to do with how the cue is tapered (shaped)

Comment

Your English is very good, you play snooker with a cue, a line of people waiting for something is a queue, a very easy to make spelling mistake.

Comment

Excuse me. Now I understand the joke ( Have changed in the post from the queue to cue) I may use more from Google translation next time
            Last edited by ronfor0603; 30 October 2014, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
              A queue is when you stand waiting for something, a cue is what you play with.
              Don't worry, your English is very good
              In my experience i find maple cues to be stiffer than ash, but i suppose it's all to do with how the cue is tapered (shaped)
              +10

@ ronfor, ,,, This might help>> ( http://www.auroracues.com/blog/)) OR ( http://www.handmadecues.com/1-Home/24-ashormaple.htm ).

Comment

Overall, ash tends to give a softer feel on the contact than maple, but, that does depend on several aspects.

As a general rule, and especially for one piece cues which are not overly heavy, maple tends to have a more "woody" contact sound. Ash can also have a "woody" contact sound, but it tends to be a little more muted and therefore, sound softer.

The heavier a cue becomes, the more dulled the contact sound will get.

If a cue is jointed, it tends to have a duller contact sound.

The hardness of the tip will make significant difference to the contact sound.

There are a few other variables to a cue which can, and sometimes do, make a difference to the contact, but as a rule, the ones set out above are the main things that will alter the contact sound of a cue.

Comment

Originally Posted by trevs1 View Post
                  Overall, ash tends to give a softer feel on the contact than maple, but, that does depend on several aspects.

As a general rule, and especially for one piece cues which are not overly heavy, maple tends to have a more "woody" contact sound. Ash can also have a "woody" contact sound, but it tends to be a little more muted and therefore, sound softer.

There are a few other variables to a cue which can, and sometimes do, make a difference to the contact, but as a rule, the ones set out above are the main things that will alter the contact sound of a cue.
                  i have always found maple 'feels' softer but i suspect this is mostly in the mind!
                  https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Ash or maple ??

Maple feels like a cross between porcelain and polystyrene in my hands, just can't get used to it
                    On Cue Facebook Page
                    Stuart Graham Coaching Website - On a break until March 2015
                    Ton Praram Cues UK Price List

Comment

Suspect that maple would be a little softer at impact. I have played American pool for many years, and have never seen a shaft in ash for pool.
                      I simply must have a snooker cue in maple, I think it would suit me fine. Not that my results would be so much better maybe. But who knows? If you never try, you will never know

The sad thing in Sweden is that there is no shop where you can test different cues. You have to go on gut feeling, and hope for the best.

So I must find one for a reasonable price, around £ 100 do you think that's enough?
                      /Ronnie

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                        i have always found maple 'feels' softer but i suspect this is mostly in the mind!
                        i always and still now think maple feel softer

Comment

Originally Posted by trevs1 View Post

well, I don't think you have time for this kind of things, but I'm asking it anyway.
                          Any cuemaker has a certain idea about what kind of wood (ash) is the best.
                          I mean, if you look at the site of Mike, you see that he considers that 100 percent stiff shaft is not good. The shaft must have a living feeling.
                          I already know, that for everyone is a matter of personal preference !!!!!
                          But, what is your opinion on this?? What is the most ideal (perfect ) shaft? or rather, what requirements be needed for a perfect shaft. ?
                          I ask this, because I personally find you and Mike, the two of the world's greatst cuemakers !!! So, if you ever have time, for som answer here, will be appreciated.!!!
                          Apologies guys, off the topic question

Comment

Sorry for being stupid but when everyone says softer what do they mean?, more whippy, or a quieter sound when hitting the White , or something else.
                            This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                            https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                              Sorry for being stupid but when everyone says softer what do they mean?, more whippy, or a quieter sound when hitting the White , or something else.
                              The way I answered it was,when contacting the ball I always find with maple they feel softer.

Comment

Working...
                              X