First 'decent' cue advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Garch View Post
    Ok, so I went and played with the Cue Builder on the Parris site - and now I want to up my budget to £1k! Unfortunately it's not likely to happen.. so will have to come back to reality.

That Maximus legend does look interesting, but at 5'9" I'm wondering if 58 1/4 is a touch too long. I did test a similar length cue the other day and it felt a bit long the way I currently play. I think the only thing to do is to get down to a decent shop. It does look like there aren't many around my way unfortunately.
    It will be worth the journey, until you know the right weight and length you want there's no point in buying blind off the internet. Don't get me wrong there are some cracking cues on here and you'll get a decent cue for £150, but you may find yourself forcing yourself to play with a cue that doesn't suit you. Find a cue that feels right, trust me you'll know when you do, then take a note of the length, weight, balance point and tip size, then shop around. I would say make sure your happy with your cue action and that your holding the cue right before you make a final descision on the length you need, as short cues can be difficult to sell on.
    No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

Originally Posted by culraven View Post
      It will be worth the journey, until you know the right weight and length you want there's no point in buying blind off the internet. Don't get me wrong there are some cracking cues on here and you'll get a decent cue for £150, but you may find yourself forcing yourself to play with a cue that doesn't suit you. Find a cue that feels right, trust me you'll know when you do, then take a note of the length, weight, balance point and tip size, then shop around. I would say make sure your happy with your cue action and that your holding the cue right before you make a final descision on the length you need, as short cues can be difficult to sell on.
      Very good advice this - trying a few cues out down at Parris would at least give you an idea of what spec would suit you because every man and his dog would have a spare cue to flog you on here

Comment

I shall make the journey on Friday, certainly sounds an important step.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Comment

I don't think Parris workshop will do much for you..the table is about 3 feet long so you won't get a good feel for the cue until you try a few long pots aswell as close stun and screw shots...

Comment

a trip to parris for a guy with a £150 budget is a waste of time!
            https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
              unless you wanna stock up on tips

Comment

I was going to write exactly the same earlier

Comment

Couple of polo shirts and a baseball cap!

Comment

Trust me it wouldn't be the first time I walked into a shop with a budget and came out with a credit card bill three times the size!

Comment

Originally Posted by Garch View Post
                      Trust me it wouldn't be the first time I walked into a shop with a budget and came out with a credit card bill three times the size!
                      will be lucky if it is only 3 times
                      https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Have a good look at this package, this is the one I bought.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/57-Handma...item258a4fea5c

Comment

Well, I've gone against all popular advice and bought a cue without trying it. There really wasn't much choice. I am confident in the length and weight though as I have tried similar cues - and hopefully I can't go wrong with the cue itself. So... as predicted, I've blown by budget and gone for a GBL C1! Having never had a cue anything like this quality and practically being a beginner again, I can't see me picking it up and not getting on with it. After all, it's not going to help me with my angles, which is the first challenge. Hopefully when my potting gets more consistent I'll then be comfortable enough with the cue to get my ball control where it needs to be to start break building.

Thanks again for everyone's help - much appreciated.

Garch

Comment

Oh, and...

Comment

Someone's sent me a PM, so I need to get up to 10 posts!!

Comment

GBL is a good choice

Comment

Working...
                                X