This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
    Well I didn't see the movement but I know you can feel it without others seeing it. It's the backend I really like.
    you mean of the cue, or the pause at the back and build up through the white?

Comment

• Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
      you mean of the cue, or the pause at the back and build up through the white?
      I will try and explain, although it's quite hard to put into words, but yes its the pause ,grip and then the build up through the cue ball. When I played there was always a bit of tension in the grip, I liked my pull back tempo and pause but I couldn't get that nice transition forward , so from the stop at the back there was always a little tension to get going forward, when I look at you I see nothing coming forward bar the cue doing it, if that makes sense, I think you called it hitting from the elbow, and I can see that when you cue, I can see the shots from the point of the elbow down around four inches,with me it feels from the hand or grip, which when playing poorly can let the shoulder move slightly, or drop a little, sometimes when I was playing well I could isolate my grip from my arm and hit with my forearm and I cued much nicer but the grip and tension was always just under the surface,I hope that kind of explains it, it's not exactly what I see as the differences but as I said it's hard to explain.
      This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
      https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

I will try and explain, although it's quite hard to put into words, but yes its the pause ,grip and then the build up through the cue ball. When I played there was always a bit of tension in the grip, I liked my pull back tempo and pause but I couldn't get that nice transition forward , so from the stop at the back there was always a little tension to get going forward, when I look at you I see nothing coming forward bar the cue doing it, if that makes sense, I think you called it hitting from the elbow, and I can see that when you cue, I can see the shots from the point of the elbow down around four inches,with me it feels from the hand or grip, which when playing poorly can let the shoulder move slightly, or drop a little, sometimes when I was playing well I could isolate my grip from my arm and hit with my forearm and I cued much nicer but the grip and tension was always just under the surface,I hope that kind of explains it, it's not exactly what I see as the differences but as I said it's hard to explain.
        i get it, and you could be miss timing to early. try timing it too late now and youll see how much freedom/time there is till the cue connects to the white. remember timing the cue ball well is towards the end of the stroke.

Comment

i get it, and you could be miss timing to early. try timing it too late now and youll see how much freedom/time there is till the cue connects to the white. remember timing the cue ball well is towards the end of the stroke.
          How do you mean time to late?
          It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

• Originally Posted by GeordieDS View Post
            How do you mean time to late?
            Miss timing to early= grip closing before contact
            So deliberately over compensate and time it wrong but with my grip open untill after contact ,so miss time it late.
            This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
            https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Miss timing to early= grip closing before contact
              So deliberately over compensate and time it wrong but with my grip open untill after contact ,so miss time it late.
              Ok thanks��
              It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

2015 and id like to start the new year by sharing some of what iv been up to on my jig. as some of you may know iv been doing quite a bit of work on cues over the past few years, and im now on the way to finishing my first cues.
                just before xmas i courageously took the hand plane to my playing cue to extend it by 1/2 an inch, this was because i put a new ferrule on and took half an inch off the top in the process. i felt there was too much movement at the tip end of the shaft and i wanted to stiffen it and hopefully get more of a tighter spring when in play
                anyway its not quite finished but heres some pics

respliced my playing cue from the first post. i changed the weight to make it .5oz heavier, and not surprisingly the weight that was thrown up it was off set.. anyway it now a little longer by 1/4" and heavier with a centered weight.
                and the first time working with zebrano, and i like it. see how it plays now

Last edited by j6uk; 9 September 2016, 02:04 PM.

Comment

• Looks good, zebrano is a nice coloured wood. You leaving this one round butt or making a flat?

Comment

• Going to become a "Trigger" cue?
                    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• Originally Posted by rdsalt View Post
                      Looks good, zebrano is a nice coloured wood. You leaving this one round butt or making a flat?
                      it will have a 3" flat, then i will re-lacquer it 2/3 the way up

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                      Going to become a "Trigger" cue?
                      sorry missed that one

Comment

sorry missed that one
                        that the cue will be modified many times
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HisD_pqlRHQ
                        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                          that the cue will be modified many times
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HisD_pqlRHQ
                          bit under it at the mo so i wouldnt get a joke if you said it five times in each ear.. but cheers love all that, 70s 80s was tvs golden era
                          still think the cues got some life in yet

Comment

• I've been enjoying this thread J, nice looking cues but I have a question. Is it possible to alter the balance point of a cue without messing with the weight of the cue too much? And is it an easy job, like could I send you my cue and you could sort it out for not too many beans? It's a 3/4 split BTW

Comment

• Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
                              I've been enjoying this thread J, nice looking cues but I have a question. Is it possible to alter the balance point of a cue without messing with the weight of the cue too much? And is it an easy job, like could I send you my cue and you could sort it out for not too many beans? It's a 3/4 split BTW
                              it would be a bit tricky with a 3/4, dealing with joints usually means lathe work. i do everything by hand, best see a machinist cue maker..
                              good to hear your liking the thread btw

Comment

• vintage shaft with 21" wenge splices.
                                feels very responsive, looking forward to feel how it will play

Comment

Working...
                                X