X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by matthias View Post
    very nice

did you get a lathe, for the joints & mini butts.

no i know someone whos a couple of hrs drive away who does my weights for me. we got together gave it a go and it worked out very well.

Comment

• had a bit of a break from the workshop- but now back at it calving away and fine tuning some select shafts.

the two closest on the right will be for an up and coming young pro in the top 50 1yr rankings whos been making a name for himself.. more on that later when i put the first one together next week.

Last edited by j6uk; 21 June 2017, 04:13 PM.

Comment

• looks sound.
        how accurate will you get them. can hand made cues be spot on or is there slight imperfections. if so do you have some advice on the final planning/sanding to get the required accuracy.
        Ive noticed a couple of shafts have been treated. do you treat them before you splice the ebony on and ferrule it or is it done after.

any more pics would be great. Any advice regarding the making of your cues would be appreciated.

How long is it from square shaft to finished cue. Do you have specific waiting times between stages.

look forward to seeing them finished.

cheers mate

Comment

• Glad to see a pro giving one of yours a try J, I hope it's just the job for him and gets you some good publicity, you deserve it imo.
          This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
          https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

• Originally Posted by ambrad View Post
            looks sound.
            how accurate will you get them. can hand made cues be spot on or is there slight imperfections. if so do you have some advice on the final planning/sanding to get the required accuracy.
            Ive noticed a couple of shafts have been treated. do you treat them before you splice the ebony on and ferrule it or is it done after.

any more pics would be great. Any advice regarding the making of your cues would be appreciated.

How long is it from square shaft to finished cue. Do you have specific waiting times between stages.

look forward to seeing them finished.

cheers mate
            the top three advse for me was:

1. "get a no5 plane and learn how to use it on club cues then buy some ash. i could tell you things but the only real way to learn is to find your own way. if your gonna make a cue youll do it regardless".

2. next thing to spur me on was "get a lathe!!"

3. then the no replies to my emails. that really got me going ..

get the wood. ts all about the wood.

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
            Glad to see a pro giving one of yours a try J, I hope it's just the job for him and gets you some good publicity, you deserve it imo.
            cheers jim. will be a test but m up for it
            Last edited by j6uk; 21 June 2017, 09:33 PM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
              the top three advse for me was:

2. next thing to spur me on was "get a lathe!!"
              Did you get a lathe J?
              Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
              Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
              Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

• Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
                Did you get a lathe J?
                would love to have one but no i side stepped that. the only machine i have is a belt sander

Comment

would love to have one but no i side stepped that. the only machine i have is a belt sander
                  Ah. A lathe is quite an investment and needs a decent return on your investment.

One day mate. With a lathe you are certainly committed to profit!

Comment

• Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
                    Ah. A lathe is quite an investment and needs a decent return on your investment.

One day mate. With a lathe you are certainly committed to profit!
                    the lathe thing was in an email from a pool cue maker from the states.
                    unless your doing joints i think a lathe has ts limitations. and cus i chose to go the handmade route meaning leaning how to make cues just using my hands eye to the best of my ability. im now after serving my apprenticeship not far off dong things as fast and as accurate.
                    faster better stronger but still learning..

all about the wood
                    Last edited by j6uk; 22 June 2017, 07:41 AM.

Comment

the lathe thing was in an email from a pool cue maker from the states.
                      unless your doing joints i think a lathe has ts limitations. and cus i chose to go the handmade route meaning leaning how to make cues just using my hands eye to the best of my ability. im now after serving my apprenticeship not far off dong things as fast and as accurate.
                      faster better stronger but still learning..

all about the wood
                      Sounds like you're really starting to get in tune with the old timber.

I like the straight grain in the top picture 2nd from the left, looks spot on!

Comment

• yeah looks neat that one but the ones ether side are more my type of vibe

Comment

• three prep stages of some old English ash.

then these are the ones selected for a requested stiff response cue- x2 egl/vintage and the one on the right is eastern European ash.

Comment

• Hi
                            Are these treated prior to the ebony being spliced on

Comment

• only with lots of fine planing. i like to pretty much finish the shaft before splicing. not sure if many others do that.

Comment

only with lots of fine planing. i like to pretty much finish the shaft before splicing. not sure if many others do that.
                                I do, makes sense to get it to that stage.
                                Then only got to worry about the butt.
                                For that one you've always wanted...
                                https://www.facebook.com/ninjacues/

Comment

Working...
                                X