Laminated "Ash" Shafts ?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by jim evans View Post
    theres an old saying people dont knock it till you have tried it,how of knockers have tried one.
    Spot on. The shaft has a solid feel. Maybe a bit too solid, is that the maple and walnut natures coming in to play? Certainly plenty of power but enough feel? It will be interesting to see what timbers are used next, ash, pear? I'd be interested in ash. Could a lammy ash top an air-dried old wood shaft, the benchmark of a great cue?

$750 sounds a bit high, this guy is gonna do them for around $530 -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaQmjxIdAFw

Don't know if he's the same supplier you went to see?

Comment

be nice to try a pearwood laminated.

Comment

these are a few ime on with,tried them all,good solid hit not too stiff,,,,

Comment

Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
          .... It will be interesting to see what timbers are used next, ash, pear? I'd be interested in ash....
          Isn't the whole purpose of these laminated cues to give you a perfect looking shaft ?? so how the hell can they use ash ???

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
            Isn't the whole purpose of these laminated cues to give you a perfect looking shaft ?? so how the hell can they use ash ???
            That's one thing a lammy gives you but the major reason is consistent hit and less throw. They were developed in the US for pool, to avoid throw and improve consistency across different shafts.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
              The word is plywood Byrom, made from several layers of maple with a darker wood glued between them to look like the grain on an ash shaft, although the grain of each layer runs the length of the shaft rather than one counter to the other as in sheets of plywood. I myself wouldn't trust the laminates to stay together given the forces upon the shaft when hitting snooker shots with extreme power.
              When u play with these shafts, you do'nt need to hitting the shots with extreme power, vmax.
              that's the point !! the less you force the cue , the more results you get. that's why a good timeing is realy important ( with LM shaft ).
              however , they re not made for everyone !! players have dif cue actions!
              the best way to know is : give it a try !!
              My playing cue is made f LM shaft. many players have already asked me about it. I've said to everyone of them : TRY BEFORE YOU PLACE UR ORDER OR BUY ONE !!!

Comment

Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
                When u play with these shafts, you do'nt need to hitting the shots with extreme power, vmax.
                that's the point !! the less you force the cue , the more results you get. that's why a good timeing is realy important ( with LM shaft ).
                however , they re not made for everyone !! players have dif cue actions!
                the best way to know is : give it a try !!
                My playing cue is made f LM shaft. many players have already asked me about it. I've said to everyone of them : TRY BEFORE YOU PLACE UR ORDER OR BUY ONE !!!
                Well said, a lot of people judge LM shaft by their looks but if you can differentiate the playing style between a maple and ash, you will appreciate more what LM shaft can do. Like Ramon mentioned, it may not suit everyone's game and you need to try one before placing your order... I took 3 hours before placing my order with Niche back in end March, hoping hard to get it in June.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                  The word is plywood Byrom, made from several layers of maple with a darker wood glued between them to look like the grain on an ash shaft, although the grain of each layer runs the length of the shaft rather than one counter to the other as in sheets of plywood. I myself wouldn't trust the laminates to stay together given the forces upon the shaft when hitting snooker shots with extreme power.
                  The splices and vaneers have more chance of falling off any cue that laminates delaminating, they're just glued on and ebony is very different from ash/maple/LM shaft. An LM shaft shouldn't suffer the same problems of LM tips. What I'd be concerned about is the tendency of maple to dent easily, even though it's only in thin slices on LM. It's easy to water a dent out of an old wood ash shaft (air dried) but having seen this stuff I wouldn't be so sure.
                  Last edited by Master Blaster; 29 May 2015, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by mythman69 View Post
                    Alcocks???
                    Harry Evans and Sons.

He had a fully restored 1890 full size in there identical to Robbys own table in his house!

I asked how much and he said 50k! Stunning table though and any Harry Evans table is worth a heap on the second hand market and much more than an Alcocks.
                    If it is called " Common sense " why is it so rare???

Comment

Originally Posted by Fisherboi View Post
                      Hi Chappy,

I'm currently using laminated cue from Niche.
                      I sold the rest of my cues after getting use to the cue.
                      Personal preference though, some people told me my cue looks fake, toys, nice, neat etc.. I didn't care.
                      It just feels good to me.
                      Cheers ^^
                      No probs and thanks for the feedback.

Interesting how we are all different regarding this stuff and what is good for one is rubbish for another etc but i am liking the opinions.

Comment

Great cues, but bear in mind I only regularly play pool. They break like a cannon, really powerful and definitely less throw.

Comment

Originally Posted by jim evans View Post
                          these are a few ime on with,tried them all,good solid hit not too stiff,,,,
                          P.M me a price with the Specs and delivery to Australia if you could please Jim if you have some in stock.

Comment

Originally Posted by Chappy5 View Post
                            Harry Evans and Sons.

He had a fully restored 1890 full size in there identical to Robbys own table in his house!

I asked how much and he said 50k! Stunning table though and any Harry Evans table is worth a heap on the second hand market and much more than an Alcocks.
                            This table?

http://www.harryevans.com.au/gallery#featured-table

The Alcock scoreboard in those pics looks good too.
                            My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
                            I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Originally Posted by mythman69 View Post
                              This table?

http://www.harryevans.com.au/gallery#featured-table

The Alcock scoreboard in those pics looks good too.
                              No that's not the one!

That table is in a house by the looks of it and not as old as the one in the showroom.

Comment

Originally Posted by Chappy5 View Post
                                No that's not the one!

That table is in a house by the looks of it and not as old as the one in the showroom.
                                I thought that was the showroom
                                My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
                                I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Working...
                                X