No announcement yet.

Laminated "Ash" Shafts ?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the original pie laminates only worked with pool dia because you reached the core if you got down to snooker dims but I think they have got better now .the advantage's of laminates is they play identical with bottom, top, l or r side

Comment

Originally Posted by eaoin11 View Post
      I've never really been convinced by laminated shafts. But when Mezz came out with their 3/4 snooker cue bearing a pie-piece laminated shaft I wondered why, considering that they never went down that path with their pool cues, and their pool cues are probably held in the the highest regard world-wide.

Can lamination improve warp resistance? A few sellers have suggested so and if the playability isn't compromised I imagine that this would be an incentive for manufacturers like Mezz. I see no reason why lamination in itself would reduce throw but if it improves strength and allows for a slimmer taper while maintaining a solid hit then perhaps it could?
      The ferrules and tips, in comination with the shafts are also different, that's how throw is reduced.

I'm interested to know why Mezz etc are making shafts with up to 30 layers when the snooker cues have far fewer. Is this to do with making a shaft that is less stiff and less dense?

Comment

Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
        The splices and vaneers have more chance of falling off any cue that laminates delaminating, they're just glued on and ebony is very different from ash/maple/LM shaft. An LM shaft shouldn't suffer the same problems of LM tips. What I'd be concerned about is the tendency of maple to dent easily, even though it's only in thin slices on LM. It's easy to water a dent out of an old wood ash shaft (air dried) but having seen this stuff I wouldn't be so sure.
        What do you think holds the laminates together MB ?
        Same old stuff as the veneers (not vaneers) I would suggest. Think just how much glue would be present in a shaft made up of thirty laminates.

I think these laminated shafts are purely aesthetic for those who want perfectly uniform chevrons on their shafts.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
          What do you think holds the laminates together MB ?
          Same old stuff as the veneers (not vaneers) I would suggest. Think just how much glue would be present in a shaft made up of thirty laminates.

I think these laminated shafts are purely aesthetic for those who want perfectly uniform chevrons on their shafts.
          Yeah, the glue does give me doubts, I'm not keen on lots of glue layers in tips or cues as you know.

Ok, so have you played with one though?
          Last edited by Master Blaster; 31 May 2015, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Two different laminated shafts is very unlikely to play the same. I have played with several predator pool cue shafts and they all have different characteristics. The weigth for a 29" shaft can vary up to 1,5 oz on two shafts with the exact same taper, ferrule, tip! The local pool store were I live have to send back, sometimes, more than half of all the laminated shaft they get because they were warped.

Comment

Originally Posted by santaana View Post
              Two different laminated shafts is very unlikely to play the same. I have played with several predator pool cue shafts and they all have different characteristics. The weigth for a 29" shaft can vary up to 1,5 oz on two shafts with the exact same taper, ferrule, tip! The local pool store were I live have to send back, sometimes, more than half of all the laminated shaft they get because they were warped.
              Wow, that's amazingly bad. Where are you bud?

Comment

Don't think these laminated shafts will be taken seriously until pros start using them. Nothing wrong with giving them a try, but considering the price they might be just a gimmick. Remember the Tricues ?

Comment

Niche would make you a laminated shaft cue from 200 usd excluding postage. I played with one. Nothing wring with the hit.
                  Originally Posted by Mr O View Post
                  Don't think these laminated shafts will be taken seriously until pros start using them. Nothing wrong with giving them a try, but considering the price they might be just a gimmick. Remember the Tricues ?

Comment

I think they are a gimmick in the sense that the do not offer any advantage at all. Why do all of that glueing and relative complicated construction when there already is natural wood? I cant't see in which way they should be any better than a natural ash or maple shaft.

Comment

Originally Posted by fredkite View Post
                      Any pics of your brothers cue Ramon?
                      [IMG][/IMG]
                      [IMG][/IMG]
                      [IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Thanks Ramon, very nice!
                        #jeSuisByrom

Comment

Originally Posted by fredkite View Post
                          Thanks Ramon, very nice!
                          you'r welcome !!

Comment

Originally Posted by santaana View Post
                            I think they are a gimmick in the sense that the do not offer any advantage at all. Why do all of that glueing and relative complicated construction when there already is natural wood? I cant't see in which way they should be any better than a natural ash or maple shaft.
                            Up, for good sense

Comment

Gimmick or not, I'm going to order one from Niche Cues. I've been quoted £285 including shipping, it will have a maple veneer and a splice of ovangkol (air dried of course). It will go straight to my snooker lab when it arrives where me and my minions will put it through its paces.
                              #jeSuisByrom

Comment

I'm amazed folk keep saying gimmick. They're concentrating on the arrows which is mostly a decor thing instead of thinking about the lamination. Go to a Peradon shop and test one; quit with the gimmick comments based on nothing.

Comment

Working...
                                X