Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Review MAC CUE Laminated Shaft ( maple )...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*Have any pros or famous players switched to laminated shafts yet? Do other members have a laminated shaft cue and what are your thoughts about how it plays please?
    Last edited by Master Blaster; 4 March 2015, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
      Thanks Ramon.

Yes, the Meucci shafts don't have this colouration, so I guess that Ramon's cue has some very thin layers dyed black? This look is very striking but I don't think it will change the way the cue plays? It's not really needed as an ordinary maple shaft is pretty plain looking anyway, not much grain.

What I'm really interested in is why this shaft has about 10-12 main laminations and a Meucci has 35-39 laminations and how this relates to radial consistency, i.e. does the Mac have enough laminations? Maybe the Doctor can explain this shaft to me, me being a bit naive on this material.
      I never thought plywood would end up on cues, in IKEA furniture maybe, but not on cues and yet, it sounds like it plays even better than solid wood. Amazing.
      YW,,,,
      Is a technique that Mezz uses with pool cues!! or they can use it with snooker cues ??, I don't know!! I don't think so, because of Diam difference between pool and snooker cues!! Look at the web of Mezz Or Peradon . u can find there sum info about how this relates to radial consistency !!!!
      U have to try to find out Wthr that plays for u better than solid wood or not !!! . What works well for me ,,, may not be the right one for you !!

Comment

Thanks Ramon.

Yes, the Meucci shafts don't have this colouration, so I guess that Ramon's cue has some very thin layers dyed black? This look is very striking but I don't think it will change the way the cue plays? It's not really needed as an ordinary maple shaft is pretty plain looking anyway, not much grain.

What I'm really interested in is why this shaft has about 10-12 main laminations and a Meucci has 35-39 laminations and how this relates to radial consistency, i.e. does the Mac have enough laminations? Maybe the Doctor can explain this shaft to me, me being a bit naive on this material.

I never thought plywood would end up on cues, in IKEA furniture maybe, but not on cues and yet, it sounds like it plays even better than solid wood. Amazing.
        It's usually Maple , with walnut to give the arrows. I think.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Maple with Walnut?!!! That's an incredible mix.

Ok, so now for the rude question, how much does such a lovely cue cost to buy? Ouch, don't shoot me Ramon!

Comment

Maple with Walnut?!!! That's an incredible mix.

Ok, so now for the rude question, how much does such a lovely cue cost to buy? Ouch, don't shoot me Ramon!
            I would never do that to a good man like u !! As for the price, Richy, never talk about the price of his cues here on the forum (as far as i know). So lets keep it that way please ( Out of respect for his privacy.).
            You can always send him an e-mail. I'm sure he gives you an honest answer!!
            btw,,, is not a rude question. It's a normal question !!

Comment

Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
              I would never do that to a good man like u !! As for the price, Richy, never talk about the price of his cues here on the forum (as far as i know). So lets keep it that way please ( Out of respect for his privacy.).
              You can always send him an e-mail. I'm sure he gives you an honest answer!!
              btw,,, is not a rude question. It's a normal question !!
              That's fine, I'm sure Mac cues have their own business which is their business! lol The cheapest Peradon Newbury (similar style to your cue) I can find is £335 so I think I have my answer.
              I cannot believe this cue, it's the most amazing thing I've seen since my first Kamui tip. I think laminations in leather or wood must excite me! lol
              One thing for sure Ramon, you will never ever meet anyone who has a cue with straighter, more uniform 'grain' than you!
              Last edited by Master Blaster; 4 March 2015, 09:15 PM.

Comment

.... The cheapest Peradon Newbury (similar style to your cue) I can find is £335 so I think I have my answer.
                The one's Dave Coutts makes are over a grand i'm sure

Comment

That's fine, I'm sure Mac cues have their own business which is their business! lol The cheapest Peradon Newbury (similar style to your cue) I can find is £335 so I think I have my answer.
                  I cannot believe this cue, it's the most amazing thing I've seen since my first Kamui tip. I think laminations in leather or wood must excite me! lol
                  One thing for sure Ramon, you will never ever meet anyone who has a cue with straighter, more uniform 'grain' than you!
                  as long as u can play and enjoy ur game ,,,,that's all t matters !! NO worris ,,, everything gonna be fine !!
                  and careful..not get to excited,,, u're a good memebr of this forum I don't wanna you get heart attack on urself !!!

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                    The one's Dave Coutts makes are over a grand i'm sure
                    Difference being Dave makes them completely himself and is to my knowledge the only cue maker doing this in the UK other than Peradon.
                    The shaft that Ramon has I believe was sourced from Niche cues so some of the credit must go to them IMO.

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
                      Difference being Dave makes them completely himself and is to my knowledge the only cue maker doing this in the UK other than Peradon.
                      The shaft that Ramon has I believe was sourced from Niche cues so some of the credit must go to them IMO.
                      Very interesting stuff, these shafts and cues are pretty rare. I wonder if Peradon do a custom Newbury? I can't believe I just said that. Peradon Cues; grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Are Niche making laminated shafts in Thailand?

Ramon, they say this laminated shaft is very stiff, have you noticed a reduction in screw and top spin, and a reduction in throw and an increase in balls potted, especially when using side but also when you play plain ball shots please?
                      Last edited by Master Blaster; 5 March 2015, 12:49 AM.

Comment

Very interesting stuff, these shafts and cues are pretty rare. I wonder if Peradon do a custom Newbury? I can't believe I just said that. Peradon Cues; grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Are Niche making laminated shafts in Thailand?

Ramon, they say this laminated shaft is very stiff, have you noticed a reduction in screw and top spin, and a reduction in throw and an increase in balls potted, especially when using side but also when you play plain ball shots please?
                        laminated shafts like all shafts are different with each one. but i would say they tend towards being stiffer.
                        https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Reduction in top spin Or screw , has not much t do with stiffnes of the wood But with DENSITY of the wood !!! what most important is in developing spin is density of the wood .... NOT stiffnes !! There are Sum players who belive the stiffnes and density are the same !! I do'nt !!! a dense stiff shaft (stiff shaft with high percent of density) is the perfect combination to play snooker. that's why I've chosen for Laminated shaft , cus they re Denser !!!! a solid hit + to be able to developing more spin with less effort + less deflection (especially when u playing with side). But this is just my opinion !!! As ADR mantioned , LM shaft like other shafts ( ash Or Maple ) are different !! And i do agree with him !! So in this case maybe i was just luky ? Who knows !!! At the end of the day the main question is whether the cue suits your game or not !!! and remains a matter of personal preference !!

Comment

The main reason these shafts came to be made(I think, some players using ash cues like perfect arrows but very very rare to get one with such unified lines
                            It also gives the smoothness of maple but the sight lines of ash.
                            "Don't think, feel"

Comment

I'm sure that was the cue I seen at richys. If it was it's stunning and like glass. Just waiting on Richy finishing my laminated maple shaft. Chop chop
                              Last edited by Defy; 5 March 2015, 04:57 PM. Reason: Mistake
                              Glasgow pool league 2nd division winners 2012
                              Rosebowl cup winners 2012
                              Glasgow league cup runners up 2012
                              Uddingston league runners up 2012
                              Alastair tetsil memorial cup winners 2012

Comment

Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
                                Reduction in top spin Or screw , has not much t do with stiffnes of the wood But with DENSITY of the wood !!! what most important is in developing spin is density of the wood .... NOT stiffnes !! There are Sum players who belive the stiffnes and density are the same !! I do'nt !!! a dense stiff shaft (stiff shaft with high percent of density) is the perfect combination to play snooker. that's why I've chosen for Laminated shaft , cus they re Denser !!!! a solid hit + to be able to developing more spin with less effort + less deflection (especially when u playing with side). But this is just my opinion !!! As ADR mantioned , LM shaft like other shafts ( ash Or Maple ) are different !! And i do agree with him !! So in this case maybe i was just luky ? Who knows !!! At the end of the day the main question is whether the cue suits your game or not !!! and remains a matter of personal preference !!
                                That's great news. If LM shafts can increase spin, then I can see why they've taken off in the US.

Comment

Working...
                                X