Re Graining a Cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re Graining a Cue

Started a new thread on this one. OK ash shaft which appears to have been sanded loosing its grain filler. Can get a thumb nail in and slide it up and down the shaft in several places. These grooves need filling before final sanding etc.

Now Aurora grain filler is now longer available (found a nice guide on that) so what do I use? Seen mention of shoe polish etc. but cant see this filling any grooves and drying to stay put.

Is grain filler like a paste that will actually fill the grooves and if so do I get some sort of dye to mix with it to make it black? If so what dye? what grain filler?

So many questions ha ha help!!!!!!
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." - Henry Ford

You can get the fine filler off ebay with the black pigment, doesn't give you much working time before it sets so buy enough to have a practice first.
    No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

Originally Posted by culraven View Post
      You can get the fine filler off ebay with the black pigment, doesn't give you much working time before it sets so buy enough to have a practice first.
      I need a bit, but not much. How big are the tins? Have you got a link please?

Comment

Originally Posted by culraven View Post
        Link please?
        "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." - Henry Ford

Comment

http://www.tonetechluthiersupplies.c...lack-500g.html

That will do the job mate

Comment

what you need to search for is thixotropic grain filler (black/ebony), there are quite a few brands available but they should all work.

Comment

Cheers lads. Gets me on the right track. Thanks

Comment

Which one does TW use, anyone know?

Comment

Originally Posted by Maverick54 View Post
                  Cheers lads. Gets me on the right track. Thanks
                  If you do it. Please put up a guide with piccies?

Comment

Originally Posted by cyberheater View Post
                    If you do it. Please put up a guide with piccies?
                    Quality idea. Good skill to learn.

J6, Jim, what brand of grain filler you using lads? Robin from Robin Cues told me his filler last we spoke but it was a couple of years ago and I've bloody forgotten.
                    Last edited by Master Blaster; 22 March 2015, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
                      Quality idea. Good skill to learn.

J6, Jim, what brand of grain filler you using lads? Robin from Robin Cues told men his filler but it was a couple of years ago and I've bloody forgotten.

It really isn't rocket science, you wipe it on, take the excess off, let it dry and sand through the grades and finish

Comment

There appear to be two main brands on ebay, Rustins and Brywax. Has anyone used these brands before please?

Comment

Originally Posted by RogiBear View Post
                          It really isn't rocket science, you wipe it on, take the excess off, let it dry and sand through the grades and finish
                          Would still like to it.

Comment

Robin is a top bloke and likes to help people so I don't think he'll mind me sharing this:

I use Liberon spirit sanding sealer and mix a little Liberon earth pigment (vegetable black) with it. This brings out the grain, once dry, usually about 30 mins, finish fine sanding and oil.
                            Once you have made up the “filler” remember to shake it well before using as the pigment is held in suspension.

Regards,

Robin.

Comment

Would you add the pigment to the bottle or pour a bit out and then add the pigment?
                              #jeSuisByrom

Comment

Working...
                              X