Bog wood v. Air dried ash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Same here, he used to wind me up but now I merely grin or have a Beano style chortle at MB's posts.
    #jeSuisByrom

Comment

Originally Posted by trevs1 View Post
      I have a feeling that much of what he writes (in the cue section anyway as that's pretty much all I occasionally look at) is done with deliberate intent to cause discussion and argument. I'm not convinced he actually believes the stuff he writes but would suggest he enjoys rattling the cages of those who are likely to respond, simply to entertain himself. To be fair, it can be entertaininig if it's taken in that vain, and I've found myself actually laughing out loud at some of the stuff he's written.

Of course I might be wrong on all that and he (maybe she.?) could be deadly serious about all that's been written.

In which case, he / she is about as wrong as you can get on far more stuff than I have the time or inclination to get involved in right now.
      Some of it is defiantly quite funny I'll grant him that, trouble is I honestly think he's beginning to believe his own theories

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
        No time Trevor.........i reckon you are busy getting your scuba diving gear on to hunt out some great timber whilst bog snorkeling
        Very good, another chortle.
        #jeSuisByrom

Comment

We aim to please Fred
          Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

No time Trevor.........i reckon you are busy getting your scuba diving gear on to hunt out some great timber whilst bog snorkeling
            Yes Neil, I was up early this morning to pack my diving kit to get to a "secret" reservoir in mid Wales, to get on the hunt for "superior" sunken ancient Welsh ash. Little does anyone know, but the old Welsh ash (now extinct of course and only available from the bottom of said body of water) is far far superior to anything grown anywhere else on the planet, and is perfect for cue shafts. Only I will have supplies of this timber, which has to be shaped through the gnawing, bit by bit, by my specially trained team of sky blue timber rats.

So good is this timber, that when a finished cue strikes the cueball, you can actually hear the cueball squeak slightly under the force generated from the extreme power the cue has. A player barely needs to even aim at all, as the cue has an uncanny sense and ability of its own to overide poor technique and partly controls the shots for you.

It's just awesone Neil it really is.

Unfortunately, world Snooker is unlikely to allow such a cue to ever be used in competitioin, so it'll only be available to part time punters at five grand a pop.

An absolute bargain I reckon.

Comment

Yes Neil, I was up early this morning to pack my diving kit to get to a "secret" reservoir in mid Wales, to get on the hunt for "superior" sunken ancient Welsh ash. Little does anyone know, but the old Welsh ash (now extinct of course and only available from the bottom of said body of water) is far far superior to anything grown anywhere else on the planet, and is perfect for cue shafts. Only I will have supplies of this timber, which has to be shaped through the gnawing, bit by bit, by my specially trained team of sky blue timber rats.

So good is this timber, that when a finished cue strikes the cueball, you can actually hear the cueball squeak slightly under the force generated from the extreme power the cue has. A player barely needs to even aim at all, as the cue has an uncanny sense and ability of its own to overide poor technique and partly controls the shots for you.

Unfortunately, world Snooker is unlikely to allow such a cue to ever be used in competitioin, so it'll only be available to part time punters at five grand a pop.

I've never been to a zoo to rattle the cages of the monkeys mate Throw bananas at them; yes.

But on a serious note Trev, when you have cut and played with an air-dried piece of ash, you will know. I thoroughly encourage you to find a piece and make a cue and compare, run your own tests. This is no wind-up. It wouldn't take you long. You are a bespoke cue maker and you can cut anything. If and when you do this, you can add experience. Thing is, no-one on here has an air-dried, old ash cue except me, so I'm the only one with any experience and data. I suspect that JD 101 may be air-dried but I can't prove that. I can prove my own cues are air-dried and I can say it's better wood as players. The naysayers can say all they want on here, they play with kiln wood and that's all they know. They have no experience, no data and only hunches to go on. I can say the earth is flat from my view of the world and the naysayers are saying the same thing; they don't have the benefit of satellite images.

I say this to the naysayers, find an air-dried cue and prove me wrong. Otherwise, you're talking NOTHING

* As for folk throwing insults like 'retarded' around. Over one in ten people in this country have some form of disability so your cruel and insulting words have just made some of them on here feel very small, that's nice, classy. Personally, I have an IQ of nearly 150 so I just laugh but the folk who are unfortunate in this country, some of whom may be on here, will simply be crying inside. Maybe you should concentrate on going up to special needs schools and shouting 'oy, you ****ing spastic!' when the kids come out at 3.30? You probably already do. Maybe your own insignificant and pointless life requires you to insult others to feel better. Psychologists call this insecurity. I call it lack of humanity. It sure ain't the sign of a real man. And here's me thinking that snooker is the sport of Gentlemen. How wrong I was.
              Last edited by Master Blaster; 6 June 2015, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
                I've never been to a zoo to rattle the cages of the monkeys mate Throw bananas at them; yes.

But on a serious note Trev, when you have cut and played with an air-dried piece of ash, you will know. I thoroughly encourage you to find a piece and make a cue and compare, run your own tests. This is no wind-up. It wouldn't take you long. You are a bespoke cue maker and you can cut anything. If and when you do this, you can add experience. Thing is, no-one on here has an air-dried, old ash cue except me, so I'm the only one with any experience and data. I suspect that JD 101 may be air-dried but I can't prove that. I can prove my own cues are air-dried and I can say it's better wood as players. The naysayers can say all they want on here, they play with kiln wood and that's all they know. They have no experience, no data and only hunches to go on. I can say the earth is flat from my view of the world and the naysayers are saying the same thing; they don't have the benefit of satellite images.

I say this to the naysayers, find an air-dried cue and prove me wrong. Otherwise, you're talking NOTHING

Sorry champ, I'm not going to get into it with you, but thanks for the lesson.

Suffice to say though, I've used more timber than you're aware of and know more about what you're saying than you may believe or understand, but still, don't have any desire to get into it with you, or anyone else.

My posts on this thread are just for fun, clearly, and I am not getting into any discussion about wood. It's all I look at day in day out, and frankly, if I'm not working with it, have little interest in talking about it.

Comment

Sorry champ, I'm not going to get into it with you, but thanks for the lesson.

Suffice to say though, I've used more timber than you're aware of and know more about what you're saying than you may believe or understand, but still, don't have any desire to get into it with you, or anyone else.

My posts on this thread are just for fun, clearly, and I am not getting into any discussion about wood. It's all I look at day in day out, and frankly, if I'm not working with it, have little interest in talking about it.
                  If you've used air-dried then please say so and elucidate. What's so hard?

Have you made a cue out of air-dried ash mate, yes or no?
                  Last edited by Master Blaster; 6 June 2015, 08:34 AM.

Comment

If you've used air-dried then please say so and elucidate. What's so hard?

Yep, I've used air dried timber, ash, maple and all sorts of other too. How exciting....Not.

However, unfortunately I won't be getting into it, as I've already said.

My eariler post about the "cage rattling" is kind of borne out by your quoted post above. Comments such as "If you've used"..or.... "What's so hard" gives away your intent somewhat to prompt responses by making people defensive.

Sadly I'm still not interested. You will need to be more subtle if you are to obtain serious attention from me.

Comment

Love it , great response . I do love a bit of harmless banter

Comment

Think I might lob my cue in the Irwell for a few months then my form will return. Oh yes.
                        #jeSuisByrom

Comment

Lol.....like that idea

Comment

Love it , great response . I do love a bit of harmless banter
                            Me too, he he! but if Trev can post a few paragraphs on here, I'm sure he has time, if willing (!) to post a wee bit about what he thinks of air-dried instead of continually posting I'm not getting into it over many months. Not having a go at Trev, I like his posts and that's why I asked him. It would be interesting to hear his 'proper' thoughts on this. And of other cue makers on here as well of course!

Instead of ungentlemanly types making insults, maybe we could have an intelligent discussion on this topic no?

Comment

Originally Posted by fredkite View Post
                              Think I might lob my cue in the Irwell for a few months then my form will return. Oh yes.
                              You're a bit late according to Aurora's theory, you needed to throw the whole tree in there two hundred years ago. Doesn't count after it's cut I'm afraid.

Comment

....Thing is, no-one on here has an air-dried, old ash cue except me, so I'm the only one with any experience and data...
                                Bit of a ridiculous statement mate !!!!
                                How the feck do you know that ??? there are dozens of cue collectors on here with more cues than you have ever seen

Comment

Working...
                                X