No announcement yet.

Does stiffness affect reaction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thats what i tried to put through each cue is different hence a different type tip,only person who knows what is right for you is you so experiment.

Comment

Originally Posted by jim evans View Post
      thats what i tried to put through each cue is different hence a different type tip,only person who knows what is right for you is you so experiment.
      Ah okay sorry Jim, I reckon I got the wrong end of the stick, so to speak!

Comment

i also try and use a thin wall small ferrule ie a pigeon ring type,found this helps.

Comment

Judd uses an elk on a whippyish cue. Softer means more spin, not less. Softer means more grip on the cue ball. Judd's got plenty of juice on the cue ball. A hard elk is all most pros need. Though I use a BDP because they're consistent, like blue diamonds of old and deform less than elks.

Comment

Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
            Softer means more spin, not less. Softer means more grip on the cue ball. .
            I don't think that is right MB?? I have been assured by a fairly well-known professional that harder = more spin. (I'm not gonna name the pro but I am sure he must be right).
            I admit I thought softer meant more spin too. I play golf, and everyone who plays golf knows that softer balls mean more spin because of the grip/increased contact. But I have been assured this doesn't apply in snooker. I personally switched from a Blue Diamond tip (quite soft) to a hard Elk and immediately got more spin. Laminated tips and harder and spin even more, don't they?? I'd be interested in others' views here!

Comment

Originally Posted by timcunnell View Post
              I don't think that is right MB?? I have been assured by a fairly well-known professional that harder = more spin. (I'm not gonna name the pro but I am sure he must be right).
              I admit I thought softer meant more spin too. I play golf, and everyone who plays golf knows that softer balls mean more spin because of the grip/increased contact. But I have been assured this doesn't apply in snooker. I personally switched from a Blue Diamond tip (quite soft) to a hard Elk and immediately got more spin. Laminated tips and harder and spin even more, don't they?? I'd be interested in others' views here!
              I'm not surprised by the BD, most of them are crap these days, nothing like the 80s versions. Elks are generally considered a bit softer than a true BD, which is more like what a BDP is now. All the top power players use elks, not lammys; Robbo, Judd, Smurf, Ronnie. Go figure. I'm getting more screw with a BDP than I ever got with Talisman, Kamui, etc, etc. It's all about grip. A softer single layer tip grips the ball better. Taken to the extreme we have the spinster tip made out of silicone rubber that really puts some mustard on the cue ball. If you use a phenolic resin tip, very little spin, just smash.
              Last edited by Master Blaster; 24 June 2015, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
                Throw is a term for cricket, deflection is for ballistics.

The cue ball moving offline in an arc when hit with side spin is called squirt! A proper snooker term!
                the cue ball squirts,the cue throws, you don't say how much does a cue squirt.and you don't say how much does a cue ball throw? and squirt is a pool term from across the pond,you seem to be on a mission to rewrite snooker terminology to mbs way

Comment

All this stiffness and squirting - you lot got too much time on your hands

Comment

Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
                    the cue ball squirts,the cue throws, you don't say how much does a cue squirt.and you don't say how much does a cue ball throw? and squirt is a pool term from across the pond,you seem to be on a mission to rewrite snooker terminology to mbs way
                    No, it was just a joke mate, wanted to use a term that sounds funny to me. Ah, never mind.

Comment

Dont know when you are joking! Must be losing my touch

Comment

Dont know when you are joking! Must be losing my touch
                        I know, and there's you with the divining touch of a spiritual water stick or as we call them, Aurora maple.

Comment

Does stiffness affect reaction

actually, squirt is the technically correct name for deflection, which you lot are erroneously calling throw. clear? good.

squirt - amount the cue ball veers off line when using side. higher with larger mass at tip end (essentially larger diameter shaft)

deflection - amount cue deflects out of the way on impact with cue ball. the less it deflects out of the way, the less the squirt, hence the term low deflection shafts. the term deflection has superceded the word squirt, but is not technically correct.

throw - side spin on the cue ball alters the path of the object ball. the object ball is 'thrown.' effect is more pronounced with bigger balls, and on certain shots.

swerve - all should be familiar with this.

so, each shot we make using side spin has three effects on the shot - 1. initial deflection (or squirt), 2. swerve, and 3. throw.

deflection and swerve often cancel each other out and throw is less pronounced on a snooker table than a pool table. when i first started playing pool i couldnt believe how difficult it was to control the cue ball when playing with side spin. there is great skill in mastering it, not to be underestimated.

terminology is important and snooker misses a trick here. there is no need to keep american terms but get some, learn them and stick to them.

as for softer vs harder tips - and virtually everything else billiards related - dr dave's site will provide all the answers you'll ever need - along with a million you don't lol.

Comment

^ what you say does make logical sense. It's like I've been MBeed! lol

Except your explanation of Throw. Steve Davis says 'throwing' the object ball with a cue ball in snooker is a myth. I agree with him. It may be different in US pool.
                            Last edited by Master Blaster; 24 June 2015, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
                              actually, squirt is the technically correct name for deflection, which you lot are erroneously calling throw. clear? good.

squirt - amount the cue ball veers off line when using side. higher with larger mass at tip end (essentially larger diameter shaft)

deflection - amount cue deflects out of the way on impact with cue ball. the less it deflects out of the way, the less the squirt, hence the term low deflection shafts. the term deflection has superceded the word squirt, but is not technically correct.

throw - side spin on the cue ball alters the path of the object ball. the object ball is 'thrown.' effect is more pronounced with bigger balls, and on certain shots.

swerve - all should be familiar with this.

so, each shot we make using side spin has three effects on the shot - 1. initial deflection (or squirt), 2. swerve, and 3. throw.

deflection and swerve often cancel each other out and throw is less pronounced on a snooker table than a pool table. when i first started playing pool i couldnt believe how difficult it was to control the cue ball when playing with side spin. there is great skill in mastering it, not to be underestimated.

terminology is important and snooker misses a trick here. there is no need to keep american terms but get some, learn them and stick to them.

as for softer vs harder tips - and virtually everything else billiards related - dr dave's site will provide all the answers you'll ever need - along with a million you don't lol.
                              Opinions! Clear,good

Comment

Opinions! Clear,good
                                Did you get up at 4am from your dreams to answer or could you not sleep golf? lol

Comment

Working...
                                X