James Butters Laminated cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by louise sheldon View Post
    Leo the reason mine start at over £800 is that they are made by hand by me on my own in a special way, each surface I make sure is perfect and if any is not then it's discarded, the way I glue the surface of each laminate totally eliminates the chance of a dry spot that can not be said for all the mass produced copy's out there , it takes me almost a month to glue a shaft together to ensure this .
    I'm not sure if you aware but the original designe of this shaft was my brain child and was very quickly copied by loads of makers of which not many will make there own shafts but buy in from one main mass produced factory, and as with everything in life handmade is always better quality than mass produced.
    I always thought Peradon was behind the laminated shafts

Comment

The Butters cue had some pics with laminated wood in them . .

I presume he's doing it himself ?

Comment

I believe the idea of laminated shafts has been around awhile. Predator cues in the States have had them for years and I have one here but it's maple on maple with no walnut. I also believe I heard Kevin Deroo in Vancouver has been making laminated shafted snooker cues for quite awhile now but again as I've never seen one I don't know if his are maple/maple or walnut/maple.
        Terry Davidson
        IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
          I believe the idea of laminated shafts has been around awhile. Predator cues in the States have had them for years and I have one here but it's maple on maple with no walnut. I also believe I heard Kevin Deroo in Vancouver has been making laminated shafted snooker cues for quite awhile now but again as I've never seen one I don't know if his are maple/maple or walnut/maple.
          I think coutts may well of tinkered with the design a bit but to call it his brain child may be a bit far, would he not have got it patented

Comment

predator was the first one who made laminated shaft !! in UK, JP was the first one !!! in 80's he made L8 shafts for The first time !!!

Comment

Are all the predator laminated shafts made up of pie segment shapes, ( think trivial pursuit pieces ),
              or do/did they do flat boards glued together too ?

Comment

Peradon made the first laminated shaft, it was maple on maple.

Comment

Originally Posted by jim evans View Post
                  Peradon made the first laminated shaft, it was maple on maple.
                  I thought the old "rigidus" cues were laminated around a steel X section bar, but it may have been a drilled hole with the bar and bamboo filling the gaps. .

Comment

The cue was called the true stroke,was maple with maple opposite grain , so you got like a ply.

Comment

Originally Posted by billabong View Post
                      Are all the predator laminated shafts made up of pie segment shapes, ( think trivial pursuit pieces ),
                      or do/did they do flat boards glued together too ?
                      No , as far as I know do'nt B gelued together !! I did'nt know that peradon was the first , btw !! Jim could be right about that !! JP used ash , Not Maple !!

Comment

Right so what we've gathered is peradon done the first laminated shafts, coutts then copied peradon's idea with a supreme cue, other cue makers then see coutts doing the shafts and got on board also. So whether they are handmade by this or that and glued to whatever Peradon were the first company knocking out laminated shafts

Comment

That's my belief.

Comment

Originally Posted by Leo View Post
                            Right so what we've gathered is peradon done the first laminated shafts, coutts then copied peradon's idea with a supreme cue, other cue makers then see coutts doing the shafts and got on board also. So whether they are handmade by this or that and glued to whatever Peradon were the first company knocking out laminated shafts
                            I'm not 100%, but I'm sure they were about before Peradon did them.

Comment

Wooldridge, crispian what are your views honestly on laminated shafts and is this something you'll be doing yourself soon?

Comment

Leo laminated shafts have been around for ages,but not with walnut that mimics ash

Comment

Working...
                                X