• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andy Hunter - A playing cue

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

Thought I'd just post some pics of my new playing cue. Made by a friend of mine Andy Hunter. It's 58 1/4, 10.01mm and 17.4 oz.
    It's seasoned 35 year old highland ash, stripey ebony butt with a hearted snakewood front splice. The ash is oiled and the butt French polished. I have lots of cues, but never have I had anything quite like this hence I thought I'd post it on here. It's natural and balanced feel is unbelievable, where weight doesn't even seem apparent. It's not perfect chevrons totalling 8 with perfect side grain as some might like, but as a natural handmade players cue nothing even comes close. A true honest cue made by a real craftsman.

Hope the pics work, and sorry the quality of them isn't great.

Looking good Shads147,

I saw that badge a while back and thought it an improvement on some of Andy's others.

Not that that matters on the playability at all, but it does finish it off nicely.

Lovely cue, and a rare thing that gets through Andy's rigorous accaptability criteria without being smashed up.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Thank you very much mate. Yes, you've seen the badge. It's fitted to 2 cues with the other being a similar cue but with a burr front splice and the badge a bit larger. Pleased the photos kinda worked although it's been so long I'm struggling to get them to just appear!

Comment

Pics added through photobucket just to save clicking.

Comment

Thank you very much Bill.

Comment

Nice cue Shads, the Snakewood works very well against the ebony without the vaneer.

I know when Andy makes his cues the badge very really come into his thoughts and normally a last minute thing due to him testing the cue before finishing it off.

Comment

Very Nice looking cue indeed !!

Comment

Thanks for your kind words fellas. For me this was about a players cue. It's hard to explain but I wanted it to feel raw and natural with no skinny lifeless shaft or butt. It had to feel alive. I wanted it made in the old way with no fancy gimmicks and excellent quality, old seasoned British ash. We have the best ash right here, although in low numbers.
                As for falling short, absolutely right. Throughout the build Andy was sending me pictures and I couldn't help but think yes this is coming along real nice, but it may still end up as fire kindling if it doesn't hit a ball. Luckily for me, this is without question the best feeling cue I've ever had, and I'm lucky enough to have a few.

Comment

The cue looks great and I know from experience that any cue Andy lets go will be of the highest quality. It's good to see his work appreciated, I don't know of anyone else that has his level of expertise in the world of cue-making. It's incredible when you think of how much some pay for imported mass produced cues that have simply been doctored and badged, compared to a cue like this which has been meticulously made to the highest level and costs a lot less. The thread on the Parris shafts elsewhere on this forum should be a wake up call.

Comment

And here is the man himself using that age old skill of chucking my pear shafted cue over my kettle to steam it!
                    Lol,seriously though just spent a few days with Andy and learned loads.
                    He owes me a kettle though cos he burnt the element out and the Moosus isnt happy

Comment

Originally Posted by TexasTrev View Post
                      And here is the man himself using that age old skill of chucking my pear shafted cue over my kettle to steam it!
                      Lol,seriously though just spent a few days with Andy and learned loads.
                      He owes me a kettle though cos he burnt the element out and the Moosus isnt happy

Oh Jesus. Wish I hadn't seen this picture.

I have a kettle, I have a beautiful Horace Lindrum maple cue I've restored but it isn't straight.

When my other half goes out I know what's going in the kitchen.

Have been lucky enough to talk to Andy over the phone a couple of times, great guy. I take it you live near him?
                      Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                      Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                      Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

he should have wrapped the cue in a cloth first the lazy git!
                        https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Andy's here right now. He say's he had to use what's there, he didn't have many options!

Comment

Originally Posted by Astarin View Post
                            Andy's here right now. He say's he had to use what's there, he didn't have many options!
                            tell him andrew said bollocks he is a lazy git!
                            https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Haha he's just laughing, and he'll see you Tuesday!

Comment

Working...
                              X