No announcement yet.

Ferrule not even

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used the bench grinder on a mates cue, thick screw on he wanted shortening and it was an easy job and came out well, but I have a very fine disc on it and it was a 2 piece so a lot easier to hold steady, used the side of the disc.
    With a thinner ferrule and a courser disc it would probably rip the tip to shreds, if your going to attempt it yourself I think file and patience is your only option.
    No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

some time ago I sent a pool team mate's cue to AT for re-ferrule as the ferrule had been hacked at, like you describe, and the brass was rounded on top lip and reduced to wafer thin at the bottom. AT re-turned and re-ferruled that cue and it came back perfect.

As you say, the sanding tool is mainly for cleaning off the surface for retipping but it can correct minor physical deflects of the brass. Sounds like yours is worse, then I would suggest sending to a cuedoctor/maker for referrule or machining.
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
        i have the rapid tip thing and have used a file...thing is, this ferrule is really rounded at the edges, so needs somehing a little more industrial...what would a cue repairer actually do that's different to whhat i do? use a lathe?

To be clear, this is not to take the gunk off the ferrule, rather, to remove some brass. I've found using a file creates as many problems as it solves...
        No need for a lathe, just use a flat metal file, using short strokes, rotate the cue 1/4 turn after each stroke which will help to keep it even. Have done this myself many times, did it to a mates cue a few months ago and it took all of five minutes, no apprenticeship needed

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
          No need for a lathe, just use a flat metal file, using short strokes, rotate the cue 1/4 turn after each stroke which will help to keep it even. Have done this myself many times, did it to a mates cue a few months ago and it took all of five minutes, no apprenticeship needed
          Sense at last vmax4steve, easy as that.

Comment

Thanks guys you've been a great help

Comment

Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
              i have the rapid tip thing and have used a file...thing is, this ferrule is really rounded at the edges, so needs somehing a little more industrial...what would a cue repairer actually do that's different to whhat i do? use a lathe?

To be clear, this is not to take the gunk off the ferrule, rather, to remove some brass. I've found using a file creates as many problems as it solves...
              Agree with other members . A metal file is gonna do the job for you . But if you have never done it before , better to use the tool ( the one Dean have posted above ).
              This's not my playing cue ( I do'nt have one at the moment ). A m8 of mine came to me with the same problem u mentioned . His cue is made of Laminated shaft But the ferrul is brass . I did use the cue Sander and this was the result . ( so , it works very well imo ).

[IMG][/IMG]
              [IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Working...
              X